The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dont do this !!! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276854)

BUBBAS IGNITION 02-17-2020 03:54 PM

Dont do this !!!

2 Attachment(s)
Dont do this !! I warranty and adjust any dist we build for life , you just put it in a box with 25 bucks , i will adjust and return to you.........
This is one of those that should be a esy fix we built this unit 3-4 years ago and customer ( for some reason) just removed it from engine and installed new contact points , ran for a while but was intermittant etc.
Installed on machine distributor would only fire part time !! Noticed timing tab was all the way up ( way too far) causing internal coil spring to loose contact from time to time . Contact point wont adjust to spec seems as if rubbing block is worn out and very dry !!!!!

Moral is :
Dont think the timing tab will bail you out of a problem ( this aint a chevy V8) Its only 6 deg up and 6 degrees down ....Hard to tell 6 degrees on a flathead performance wise ..........Advance causes spring to not connect good

Install new points with a good lube , fiber blocks wear quick..

Thia unit will require new points and lube to run right .....:eek::eek::D

grumppyoldman 02-18-2020 11:51 AM

Re: Dont do this !!!

Thanks for the heads up.. Mine you rebuilt is running fine. Al

19Fordy 02-18-2020 12:40 PM

Amazing that someone would think moving the timing mark would cure the problem.
Thank goodness he has you for a teacher.

Tinker 02-18-2020 08:22 PM

I always thought that was the point of sending you a distributor. I don't have to mess with it.. at least for a couple yrs when I get bored.

BUBBAS IGNITION 02-19-2020 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinker (Post 1853391)
i always thought that was the point of sending you a distributor. I don't have to mess with it.. At least for a couple yrs when i get bored.

amen !!!

TagMan 02-19-2020 09:33 PM

With all due respect, if you're retiring and no one is carrying on your business, the lifetime warranty is over, isn't it?

BUBBAS IGNITION 02-21-2020 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TagMan (Post 1853768)
With all due respect, if you're retiring and no one is carrying on your business, the lifetime warranty is over, isn't it?

Not really i will ( and can i hope) still walk to the shop and adjust a distributor etc. I have had very little warranty over the years we have figured out what goes wrong and made a patch for that problem......
The other issue is that most dont drive many miles on their cars ........:eek::)

Just a few years ago we shipped 450 distributors in a year ! Thats the part i am stepping away from ! Last year Terry, Jake and I ( just the three of us ) shipped 180 units , cant do the mass anymore ...

D. Jones 02-22-2020 08:36 AM

I would be nice if your grandson was interested in stepping up and carrying on your business, with your guidance of course.

Hope you get your health issues resolved.