The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Champion 3X Spark Plug (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335374)

rfitzpatrick 02-02-2024 03:59 PM

Champion 3X Spark Plug

Where can I find info about taking one apart for cleaning
TKS

rackops 02-02-2024 04:10 PM

Re: Champion 3X Spark Plug

Mark Maron wrote a really great article about these in the MARC magazine...two months ago now? There's also an article in the Technically Speaking journals that talks about it too (I can't remember the volume, unfortunately). I also recall a tutorial on the MARC facebook group (also from Mark) about restoring them also. I'm sure someone can post some scans. If not, I'd be happy to type it up when I'm not on travel.

Dave

Joe K 02-02-2024 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rackops (Post 2288308)
Mark Maron wrote a really great article about these in the MARC magazine...two months ago now? There's also an article in the Technically Speaking journals that talks about it too (I can't remember the volume, unfortunately). I also recall a tutorial on the MARC facebook group (also from Mark) about restoring them also. I'm sure someone can post some scans. If not, I'd be happy to type it up when I'm not on travel.

Dave

"Technically Speaking" Volume 6 Page 58 by Ed Eaton. 6 pages.

Also Page 71 with a "Tech Tip" 3 pages by Enrique Klein with more specific details on "3X variations."

If you have a box of "parts" this latter would be most useful.

Joe K

rackops 02-02-2024 05:35 PM

Thanks Joe!

I love flipping through my books, but have the darnest time remembering where I come across neat articles! :D

rfitzpatrick 02-02-2024 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rackops (Post 2288329)
Thanks Joe!

I love flipping through my books, but have the darnest time remembering where I come across neat articles! :D

Thanks for looking -- I've nothing here.
TKS Guys

fried okra 02-02-2024 05:57 PM

JoeK....I am trying to find that issue of the Model "A" News you mentioned.....do you have the calendar date of that issue at hand maybe?

Thx!!!

Gary WA 02-02-2024 06:39 PM

http://modelabasics.com/home.htm Thanks to supplier watch out for the small brass seal. I glass bead the porcelain and interior. but not the metal exterior. or the top of porcelain tape off.

rfitzpatrick 02-02-2024 06:51 PM

Gary TKS

Joe K 02-02-2024 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fried okra (Post 2288332)
JoeK....I am trying to find that issue of the Model "A" News you mentioned.....do you have the calendar date of that issue at hand maybe?

Thx!!!

I don't get the Model A News (prefer Restorer) MARC has an "index" you can buy for $5 - but this is limited to before 2003.

Tom Sieffert has compiled a "cumulative index pdf" which includes the Restorer, Model A News, Skinned Knuckles, Model A Times and appears at https://model-a-ford.org/wp-content/...ex01012023.pdf There are 4 hits with "find Champion 3x." I'll leave those to you to discern which one is best for you.

"Technically Speaking" Vol. 6 was published in 2008, and covers Model A News articles from 1984 through 1988 - which narrows it down somewhat.

Joe K

fried okra 02-02-2024 07:12 PM

Thanks JoeK....I've only got hard copy of each mag from about 2018 to date.

Will need to buy the electronic versions of the older mags!

J Franklin 02-02-2024 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick (Post 2288304)
Where can I find info about taking one apart for cleaning
TKS

If you can find an old one or broken one just give it a try with a couple wrenches or wrench and vise.

ldreeg 02-05-2024 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a reprint of Mark Maron's excellent article. I taped pieces of a paint stir stick to the inside of the vise jaws to avoid damaging the fresh surface:

rfitzpatrick 02-05-2024 06:40 PM

Replacement Parts

I'm having trouble with some of my trusted Vendors parts. Had to file down the chock control to get the sleeve to slide in place. Now that's not to big of a problem. So now if I were to order the head-light wiring kit -- whom should I purchase from? I'm not an electrician, far from one
TKS Guys

Darn it! I though I was posting a new question

Joe K 02-05-2024 08:35 PM

It won't matter where you get the headlight wiring kit (includes the bakelite disk with the "contacts." Everyone is selling the same thing.

The defects you'll find are that the "buttons" on the disk are not "dimpled" enough to really hold onto the switch spider. There may be a tendency to turn on your lights as you turn the steering wheel.

Another defect commonly noted is the "button ends" on the wires are a sort of el-cheapo pressed sheet metal affair - and don't hold especially well into the light bulb housings in the headlights. Most sellers sell the "turned wire ends" to replace these which are more like the original but require some wire soldering to cut off the pressed buttons and solder on the replacement turned buttons. So you'll be doing some radio/tv level soldering with rosin core solder (try to get 60-40 which is still available, but expensive.)

It is possible to get an "original" headlight wiring from Berts - but there is an element of "don't know exactly what you'll get" in that. Likely you'll have to replace the wires/ends anyway (cotton covered wire) and the wear situation of the bakelite plate might be indeterminate.

You've got my answer - but there may be others. Your best plan might be to open a new thread on the wiring harness and get other opinions.

Joe K

1Cobra427 02-13-2024 09:58 AM

Has anyone tried the sparkplug cleaning machines that hook up to an air compressor? I see one for $40 via Northern Tool, I have original 3x plugs I would rather clean and save vs buying new ones, anyone had luck with the machine???

katy 02-13-2024 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Cobra427 (Post 2290831)
Has anyone tried the sparkplug cleaning machines that hook up to an air compressor?

I have one, doesn't work worth a darn, not worth buying.

rackops 02-13-2024 12:33 PM

Quote:

Has anyone tried the sparkplug cleaning machines that hook up to an air compressor? I see one for $40 via Northern Tool, I have original 3x plugs I would rather clean and save vs buying new ones, anyone had luck with the machine???

Part of the benefit of the 3X plugs it that you can take them apart and clean the individual pieces separately, then reassemble. Using a common scouring pad, they can be cleaned up quite nicely.

mcgarrett 02-13-2024 01:04 PM

As far as using 3X plugs for a driver - I took mine apart, cleaned them in carb cleaner, wire wheeled them then sprayed them again with carb cleaner (the factory bluing was pretty far gone, so didn't harm any nice plugs doing this). After they were clean and dry I sprayed them with high temp barbecue black paint. They looked like new plugs when I was done.

The Master Cylinder 02-13-2024 02:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I found the plug blaster to work quite well. I guess it would depend on how fouled your plugs are.

Gene F 02-13-2024 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgarrett (Post 2290897)
As far as using 3X plugs for a driver - I took mine apart, cleaned them in carb cleaner, wire wheeled them then sprayed them again with carb cleaner (the factory bluing was pretty far gone, so didn't harm any nice plugs doing this). After they were clean and dry I sprayed them with high temp barbecue black paint. They looked like new plugs when I was done.

I don't blame you. I hear the old ones last forever. As far as buying new ones (3-X) goes, I hear they are not the same.