The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   new battery goin dead (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290356)

jerrytocci 11-18-2020 01:47 PM

new battery goin dead

The only wireing is the ignition . My question is ....can an ignition switch that is left on kill battery

Bob C 11-18-2020 01:56 PM

Re: new battery goin dead

Yes if the points are closed.

JKY 11-18-2020 02:11 PM

Sure, the points being closed will short the battery to ground and kill it.

Mister Moose 11-18-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKY (Post 1953563)
Sure, the points being closed will short the battery to ground and kill it.

Wouldn't the coil get quite hot if that were the case?

In any event, if you have a mystery battery drain like that and it isn't obvious, I'd recommend taking off the negative battery cable and put an ohmmeter between the disconnected negative cable and ground. It should read infinity, or very high, or open. If you get something less than 1,000 ohms, start looking for frayed wires, accessories left on, something. (That's for a positive ground system which is original)

If the battery fails and you have over 1,000 ohms, you have a bad battery.

McMimmcs 11-18-2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moose (Post 1953567)

In any event, if you have a mystery battery drain like that and it isn't obvious, I'd recommend taking off the negative battery cable and put an ohmmeter between the disconnected negative cable and ground. It should read infinity, or very high, or open. If you get something less than 1,000 ohms, start looking for frayed wires, accessories left on, something. (That's for a negative ground system which is original)

I was of the opinion that positive ground was the original.

Mister Moose 11-18-2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 1953569)
I was of the opinion that positive ground was originally.

Of course. Brain freeze. Edited the error.

The Master Cylinder 11-18-2020 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerrytocci (Post 1953553)
The only wireing is the ignition. My question is ....can an ignition switch that is left on kill battery

Quote:

In any event, if you have a mystery battery drain like that and it isn't obvious, I'd recommend taking off the negative battery cable and put an ohmmeter between the disconnected negative cable and ground. It should read infinity, or very high, or open. If you get something less than 1,000 ohms, start looking for frayed wires, accessories left on, something. (That's for a negitive ground system which is original)

Well first off the OP said the only wiring is the ignition circuit so he shouldn't have to look too far. Second if he does as you suggest and does have a short he will be putting 6 volts directly thru his ohmmeter. Not a good idea.

arnhemmer 11-18-2020 03:17 PM

Mine had a low current draw, a cutoff switch solved the problem.

J Franklin 11-18-2020 03:52 PM

Charge the battery and disconnect it then see if it discharges. It might not be the fault of the A

eagle 11-18-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder (Post 1953576)
Well first off the OP said the only wiring is the ignition circuit so he shouldn't have to look too far. Second if he does as you suggest and does have a short he will be putting 6 volts directly thru his ohmmeter. Not a good idea.

No, the battery will be out of the circuit. He should probably have said check the resistance between the removed cable and CHASSIS. I'm sure that's what he meant. Myself, I'd leave the battery in the circuit by putting an ammeter between the removed cable and the battery post.
On another note, draining a battery repeatedly will destroy it. Until the issue is figured out you should remove a battery cable when you park. Also put a trickle charger on the battery for at least a day or two after draining it.

Mister Moose 11-18-2020 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle (Post 1953590)
No, the battery will be out of the circuit. He should probably have said check the resistance between the removed cable and CHASSIS. I'm sure that's what he meant. Myself, I'd leave the battery in the circuit by putting an ammeter between the removed cable and the battery post.
On another note, draining a battery repeatedly will destroy it. Until the issue is figured out you should remove a battery cable when you park. Also put a trickle charger on the battery for at least a day or two after draining it.

Chassis/ground, same thing. Yes, a sensitive enough ammeter in series would show the amount of mystery drain. Most cars have a fuse at the starter, you could also disconnect that when you leave the car.

The Master Cylinder 11-18-2020 04:44 PM

Quote:

In any event, if you have a mystery battery drain like that and it isn't obvious, I'd recommend taking off the negative battery cable and put an ohmmeter between the disconnected negative cable and ground. It should read infinity, or very high, or open. If you get something less than 1,000 ohms, start looking for frayed wires, accessories left on, something. (That's for a negative ground system which is original)

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle (Post 1953590)

Yes confusing because at first he said it was negative ground then changed it to positive ground.

Regardless I believe he has his answer, leaving the key on will drain the battery. As he said in the first post
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerrytocci (Post 1953553)
The only wireing is the ignition . My question is ....can an ignition switch that is left on kill battery

Mister Moose 11-18-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder (Post 1953601)
Yes confusing because at first he said it was negative ground then changed it to positive ground.

Yeah, it's like being left handed vs right handed, negative ground just flows out of my fingers onto the keyboard!

Patrick L. 11-18-2020 04:59 PM

To check for the battery draw, it really makes no difference whether the test light is connected between the positive or negative leads. It'll still light the light if the draw is there.

And if the points are closed there will be a draw and the coil will get hot.

Patrick L. 11-18-2020 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnhemmer (Post 1953577)
Mine had a low current draw, a cutoff switch solved the problem.

OK, but why not find and fix the draw. Unless you're using an alternator and thats what drawing.

jerrytocci 11-18-2020 05:11 PM

I only have ignition wired for now . Meter shows it charging when it runs

Jeff/Illinois 11-18-2020 05:33 PM

As a matter of safety I always just pulled the NEG cable off after I shut the Model A down after a drive. And if I was going to let it sit more than a month or so I'd hook up a trickle charger until it was charged and then unhook that.

woofa.express 11-18-2020 06:20 PM

I have found 6V batteries have a shorter life compared with 12V.
Now my 6V has died I have made the decision to convert. I believe it is important to change the starter at the same time otherwise the impact on engagement is far too severe and sooner or later something has to fail.

jerrytocci 11-18-2020 06:25 PM

this is a build in progress . the only wires are what is needed to run engine and charge battery. the ampmeter shows a 10amp charge when it runs . battery voltage read 2.75 volts this morning and it has been on a charger since that reading was taken.

glyn 11-18-2020 07:22 PM

maybe if he had the mete in a current reading mode?