The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Steering arms (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304150)

flybob08 09-21-2021 09:05 PM

Steering arms

I have replaced the steering arms on my car. Question- how do I know when they are aligned properly in the holder. Do I use a level on top of the ball and match the angle to the horizontal axle angle? Is there another method?

Thanks again

Bob

Russell Reay 09-22-2021 07:23 AM

Re: Steering arms

If I understand your situation correctly, there is no adjustment to 'aligned properly'. There is a flat face on the arm that fits tight against a corresponding flat face on the spindle. When the nut is tightened correctly there should be no adjustment possible. If I am wrong, a more knowledgeable person will log in.

Oldbluoval 09-22-2021 07:38 AM

Yea, I was kinda where you are RR…no adjustment
School me if wrong pls

BRENT in 10-uh-C 09-22-2021 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldbluoval (Post 2058967)
Yea, I was kinda where you are RR…no adjustment
School me if wrong pls

Bill, theoretically you are correct however I find many arms have been run loose where sometimes there may be some rotational movement between the Steering Arm and the Spindle. It probably does not hurt to run them worn however a drop of weld onto the flat spot of the arm and then grind the weld to fit the spindle is a quick way to make sure it doesn't rotate loose.

flybob08 09-22-2021 10:32 AM

As best I can tell the arm rotates in the socket before being tightened down such that the ball can be vertical or at an angle to vertical. It is the angle I am wondering about as that changes the drag link clearance to the other parts

Bob C 09-22-2021 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The arrow shows the flat on the steering arm that should keep it from rotating.

Bruce of MN 09-22-2021 11:10 AM

A friend's car had a shimmy and he asked me over to take a look the other day. The right steering arm wiggled a little bit and we were able to tighten up the nut one flat. He says it made all the difference after a short test drive.

Russell Reay 09-22-2021 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flybob08 (Post 2059048)
As best I can tell the arm rotates in the socket before being tightened down such that the ball can be vertical or at an angle to vertical. It is the angle I am wondering about as that changes the drag link clearance to the other parts

Vertical for sure. If you position it 90 degrees either way, the tie rod ends will not attach.

Oldbluoval 09-22-2021 01:07 PM

I remember years ago Al Lapore had a gauge for the fit on those. If they were too loose, he cull and wouldn’t install new balls on them. I can see where a bit of weld and test fitting would cure that