The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Repainting an engine (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272861)

3twinridges 11-19-2019 06:40 AM

Repainting an engine

When dad and I built our freshly machined 8BA two years ago I used VHT rattle can primer and engine paint. When we first fired it up we had a gas leak and it lifted some of the paint on the intake and top of the block. I need to touch that up and recoat it. Since then I have been introduced to Bill Hirsch engine enamel and really like that paint and would like to recoat the entire engine in it. My thoughts were to rough up the block with 320 paper and reshoot it. Has anyone shot over VHT rattle can paint with Bill hirsch and had good results?

JB

Ian1932 11-19-2019 06:45 AM

Re: Repainting an engine

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3twinridges (Post 1822932)
When dad and I built our freshly machined 8BA two years ago I used VHT rattle can primer and engine paint. When we first fired it up we had a gas leak and it lifted some of the paint on the intake and top of the block. I need to touch that up and recoat it. Since then I have been introduced to Bill Hirsch engine enamel and really like that paint and would like to recoat the entire engine in it. My thoughts were to rough up the block with 320 paper and reshoot it. Has anyone shot over VHT rattle can paint with Bill hirsch and had good results?

JB

I would also think red/maroon scotch brite would help you scuff everywhere and form to some of the shapes. I would want to make sure that it is completely scuffed everywhere. Before you sand, clean with prepsol and the again after you sand right before paint. Oil would be your enemy i would think....

Seth Swoboda 11-19-2019 09:07 AM

I would clean the loose paint off first.

Then I would get a good quality foam brush and brush on the paint. You will get better coverage on the cast iron and the Bill Hirsch paint flows nicely so you will not see brush marks and it will look like you sprayed the paint on with a gun. No over spray mess and clean up is easy.

I've done this on many blocks and the latest 1940 engine I built is going in a Dearborn class car. It's beautiful.

JSeery 11-19-2019 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For me brushing on the engine paint works best, it really flows out nice!

Bored&Stroked 11-19-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1822996)

Looks like a bit of porting on that block . . . good for you! I tend to like things like this. LOL

JSeery 11-19-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 1823000)
Looks like a bit of porting on that block . . . good for you! I tend to like things like this. LOL

Yep, early stages of it.

3twinridges 11-19-2019 11:41 AM

Thanks guys

rotorwrench 11-19-2019 12:00 PM

Try a spot and see if the paint lifts. You never know with some of the rattle can stuff. I've seen some bubble right up as soon as any solvent hits it. Fuel is also a volatile form of naphtha and it just depends on how long the paint was exposed to it as to how long it took for it to bubble up.

Seth Swoboda 11-19-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1822996)

Looks good, great coverage.

mfirth 11-19-2019 03:45 PM

Only painted 2 flattys & used Hirsch on both.One brushed & one sprayed,VERY satisfied.

chap52 11-20-2019 07:24 AM

Hint: if there are bolts or ? you want to avoid painting instead of using tape try little pieces of aluminum foil...easier to manage... Chap

3twinridges 11-20-2019 08:00 AM

Good stuff guys, thanks.

JB

Desoto291Hemi 11-20-2019 08:23 PM

Hey JSeery,
I like the paint you did.
What kind of brush did you use?

Tommy

JSeery 11-20-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desoto291Hemi (Post 1823522)
Hey JSeery,
I like the paint you did.
What kind of brush did you use?

Tommy

Just a cheap throw-away brush. It's the paint, it really flows well.

philipswanson 11-20-2019 08:52 PM

Backorder Bob's (Drake) paint works good too when brushed.

Desoto291Hemi 11-20-2019 09:18 PM

My Mercury calls for Green or Tangerine.
I would like to try the Tangerine,,,,,I assume it is a Ford paint code?

Tommy

Tinker 11-20-2019 10:05 PM

Eventually any paint will be overcome to the heat cycles. Clean it best you can from paint and oil and apply. Probably last 5-6 yrs or more, or more if you don't drive it.

4t7heaven 11-21-2019 02:43 PM

As an old sign painter, I would suggest adding a little Penetrol to the paint. Really helps with the "flow" of the paint and it does not "thin" the paint as adding thinner would do.

JSeery 11-21-2019 05:05 PM

The Bill Hirsch paint does not require any thinners, no idea on other paints.

3twinridges 11-23-2019 10:10 AM

We are going to pull the engine and repaint it. Scuff it up and such and get it clean for a repaint. Would you use a rattle can primer before the Hirsch paint or shoot it with DP50 ppg epoxy to ensure good bite?

JB