The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   KR Wilson Tools (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48065)

hehillsy 09-19-2011 04:32 PM

KR Wilson Tools

Anyone looking for hard to find KR Wilson tools may be in luck.Check out my website at krwilsontools.com and click on (For Sale or Trade) button. Hope you find what you are looking for and enjoy the information I am sharing. Thanks Tim

BRENT in 10-uh-C 09-19-2011 04:48 PM

Re: KR Wilson Tools

2 Attachment(s)
I have a question, ....I have enclosed a couple of pics showing your KR Wilson rear axle stand however I'm not sure exactly the benefit of these. I looked closely at one of these over the weekend and did not see a labor savings value in this tool. Can you explain how this would work as it would seem extremely difficult to remove/install the axle housings and to install the axles & carrier while setting up the clearances. What am I missing??

eystein 09-19-2011 06:49 PM

Brent,

I see no use when assembling the axle.

I made a simple stand from scrapwood in an hours time which would bolt to the four backing plate holes with the left axle end pointing downwards. This was handy, building the axle from the left side up, and when adjusting gaskets for carrier preload, and during final assembly. For safety I also loosely tied the axle to my workbench with a rope.

The use I could see for the KRW stand would be during backing plate and brake assembly. However, unless you do that every day I would never bother getting anything as sophisticated as that. Something much simpler did just fine for me.

Bruce Lancaster 09-19-2011 06:56 PM

Not all KRW stuff was for Ford...maybe it was a generic piece. It would make sense for most other axles, and I have seen pictures of stands much like that in a variety of old car manuals.

HoarseWhisperer 09-19-2011 06:57 PM

Would be interested in knowing the collector value of the KRW Rear Spring Assembly Press?

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictur...pictureid=3944

hehillsy 09-19-2011 07:18 PM

I have seen the likes of your KR Wilson spring press sell on Ebay from $75.00 up to $200.00

nostalgicford 09-19-2011 08:22 PM

the axle stand is not only handy for the rear end but is gr88 for the front end...you can knock out spring perches...kingpins...and replace...also install backing plates and brakes and even the front spring....I have a KRW axle stand and a Dixie made in Deaborn, Mi...it is actually better than the KRW

Kohnke Rebabbitting 09-19-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 275967)
I have a question, ....I have enclosed a couple of pics showing your KR Wilson rear axle stand however I'm not sure exactly the benefit of these. I looked closely at one of these over the weekend and did not see a labor savings value in this tool. Can you explain how this would work as it would seem extremely difficult to remove/install the axle housings and to install the axles & carrier while setting up the clearances. What am I missing??

Bruce, the Wilson stand first came out for the Model A Ford, and used at least through the 40's, cost was 26.00. in the Model A years. Brent you are right about the stand, as they had fixed housing clamps, wasn't as usefull as it could have been. The Weaver is the best one, as you can clamp a housing at any angle, on either side. I had 5 Wilsons I bought for resale, and have used my Weaver, for over 35 years now.

BigDTexasKid 12-17-2012 02:34 PM

I have a K.R. Engine Stand & Base, I use a Manzel Rear End Holder. This Works great for
Early V/8, Ford 8-3/4, 9, etc. I Attachment will Rotate 360. I never seen one for Sale on eBay or Ford Barn. But, I haven't seen KRW Spring Spreader For Rear End or the Front Cast
Steel Accessory. That is used to work on Front Axle.

Joop 12-17-2012 03:14 PM

HoarseWhisperer check this out.

Click here: K R Wilson Model A Ford Spring Spreader Assembly Press A 321 KRW KR A321 28 31 | eBay