The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Extended warranty (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295019)

700rpm 02-26-2021 12:27 PM

Extended warranty

I got a call last week from a company that wanted to sell me an extended warranty on my automobile. Just for fun I let her go through her 5 minute introductory pitch on the benefits of their policies. When she got into asking the details of my car, I said it was a Ford 2 door sedan. “And what year?” She asks. “1929”, I said. Long pause... end of conversation. :p

Ernie Vitucci 02-26-2021 12:40 PM

Re: Extended warrantee

Nice! Ernie in Arizona

Kurt in NJ 02-26-2021 01:20 PM

They call me too, once even about my "Ford", the only one I have registered, then they say they can't give me coverage because it is too old

McMimmcs 02-26-2021 01:26 PM

Thanks for our daily chuckle.Wayne

Patrick L. 02-26-2021 02:26 PM

Now thats a good idea !

As soon as they say why they called I set the phone down, walk away and let them ramble on till they figure out what happened. I'll play along next time.

Aarongriffey 02-26-2021 03:13 PM

I get that stupid call too.
About twice a month.
Sometimes I play along. They don’t want to hear about cars with over 100,000 miles.
My wife’s car has 277 thousand.
My daily driver (MGB) is a ‘73.
My Sunday car is a 1948 Nash. They don’t wait for me to tell them about the Ford car, it’s a 1926!
The one I like is a call from the contractor that just finished a job around the corner from me and they have a lot of material left over.

1928Mik 02-26-2021 04:23 PM

I'll remember that on the next warranty call. Aaron I've had that call also about the extra material. I told them if that's the case, they need to eat the material & fire the guy who figured the job for them. End of conversation.

nkaminar 02-26-2021 05:39 PM

Sorry, I never answer calls that do not register as being in my contact list. If it is important they will leave a message and I can add that number to my contact list. Otherwise it goes on the blocked numbers list. I now only have my cell phone and have done away with the land line. I think I get a free land line with the cable but good luck calling that as we have no phone connected to it. In fact, we do not own a phone that would hook to a land line.

California Travieso 02-26-2021 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1928Mik (Post 1989764)
I'll remember that on the next warranty call. Aaron I've had that call also about the extra material. I told them if that's the case, they need to eat the material & fire the guy who figured the job for them. End of conversation.

Actually, I would tell them they screwed the guy they did the work for. They are either incompetent or crooks. I would tell them in either case, I don’t want to deal with them.

David Serrano

JayJay 02-26-2021 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkaminar (Post 1989792)
Sorry, I never answer calls that do not register as being in my contact list. If it is important they will leave a message and I can add that number to my contact list. Otherwise it goes on the blocked numbers list. I now only have my cell phone and have done away with the land line. I think I get a free land line with the cable but good luck calling that as we have no phone connected to it. In fact, we do not own a phone that would hook to a land line.

We went a different route. We got a land line number with the cable, so that's the number we give out to anyone we don't want to talk to (e.g., credit card companies, work "home" phone, banks, etc.). We turned off the ringer and have those roll over to the answering machine. About once a week we check the answering machine to make sure we haven't missed anything significant (maybe two or three times a year we miss something). By far the majority (maybe 5:1) are hangup calls that never go to the answering machine. I decided this was preferable to having all the unwanted calls coming to the cell.

We only give our cell phone numbers out to people or businesses we want to talk to. Unfortunately, we've had those numbers for about 20 years, so they've made their way into the aether and we each get a couple of bozo calls a day. I just don't answer anyone whose number I don't recognize.

I still remember when getting a phone call was an exciting thing and everything stopped and people got quiet while you answered it. I also remember party lines...

JayJay

Synchro909 02-26-2021 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayJay (Post 1989843)
We went a different route. We got a land line number with the cable, so that's the number we give out to anyone we don't want to talk to (e.g., credit card companies, work "home" phone, banks, etc.). We turned off the ringer and have those roll over to the answering machine. About once a week we check the answering machine to make sure we haven't missed anything significant (maybe two or three times a year we miss something). By far the majority (maybe 5:1) are hangup calls that never go to the answering machine. I decided this was preferable to having all the unwanted calls coming to the cell.

We only give our cell phone numbers out to people or businesses we want to talk to. Unfortunately, we've had those numbers for about 20 years, so they've made their way into the aether and we each get a couple of bozo calls a day. I just don't answer anyone whose number I don't recognize.

I still remember when getting a phone call was an exciting thing and everything stopped and people got quiet while you answered it. I also remember party lines...

JayJay

Like, "What's a pretty girl like you doing in a place like this?" :)

TerryO 02-26-2021 09:18 PM

Re: Extended warranty

If it's a female you might ask "what are you wearing...They hang up real fast... :D
TOB

Brian SATX 02-26-2021 10:23 PM

Tom Mabe did a classic like he was a police officer at a murder scene. 3 minutes long and you will laugh for days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50

marty in Ohio 02-27-2021 08:39 AM

Boy, oh boy. That you tube was classic. I hope I can remember that the next time I get one of these calls. My last one was from the utilities company who said they wanted to send me a refund. All I had to do was give them my account number. I told them to hold on the line while I get the last bill. He stayed on the line for 9 minutes before he hung up.
Marty

jquinlan 02-27-2021 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryO (Post 1989852)
If it's a female you might ask "what are you wearing...They hang up real fast... :D
TOB

Now that got me laughing :)

HD Rider 02-27-2021 09:14 AM

I always reply with "I'M NOT SENDING ANY MORE NUDES!" then hang up.

Patrick L. 02-27-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian satx (Post 1989886)
tom mabe did a classic like he was a police officer at a murder scene. 3 minutes long and you will laugh for days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7ogwcwgb50

:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

TerryO 02-27-2021 09:56 PM

I got one of those "final chance" calls today and when they asked what make and model car I owned I said a 1931 Ford. He asked if I had a model that would qualify and I answered that is my only car and I really would like to buy their warranty but he hung up on me...:eek: Not much of a salesman...:D
TOB

jquinlan 02-27-2021 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This was one of the cartoons in our club's newsletter this month.

Ayers1 02-28-2021 04:09 PM

Lol, I asked them to cover my 51 Desoto. Started out with Desoto and she asked all kinds of questions. Finally told her 1951 and she hung up........