The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Truck tires (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185902)

Sunnybrook Farm 12-31-2015 05:43 PM

Truck tires

I found a Ford V8 1934 1 1/2 ton truck that I can buy fairly reasonably but I am concerned with the tires. Are there modern sizes that will fit the old rims or possibly modern rims to fit? I have researched it but most original options seem real expensive for these tires and wheels to have been used for decades, I feel like I am missing something in my research.

GB SISSON 12-31-2015 08:11 PM

Re: Truck tires

There are tubeless tires/rims that fit your 5 lug on 8" bolt circle. Hard to find and expensive. The original size tires are available and the rims are ok to use if they are in good condition. Various companies stock the tires and tubes. Coker, Miller tire in Ohio and others. If you mail order the tires a place that does farm tires should be able to mount them. Of course we want a picture of this truck!

Sunnybrook Farm 12-31-2015 11:03 PM

Thanks, If I get the truck there will be some photos. I live where there are farm tire places and I will probably put farm use tags on it and use it for hauling fire wood and rolls of hay. It is a little rough though so it will take some work.

GB SISSON 12-31-2015 11:24 PM

Just because it's a bit rough doesn't mean it needs much work. Mechanical brakes always sort of work and not everyone here sandblasts down to bare metal and restores. A lot cheaper too.

Sunnybrook Farm 12-31-2015 11:45 PM

I think my new favorite color is Rust.

waltere 01-01-2016 12:05 AM

Interesting story. Just two weeks ago I was also offered a 33 truck that a 91 year old gentleman wants to sell. He had taken out the V8 and is setting beside the old gal. He said it had a knock. It appears he installed a B model engine and had it running. Here is the deal it has 4 new tires on it and has been stored inside. He wants me to price it but I really have no use for it. If somebody wants it I would try to help buy it for them.
Walter

Joe777 01-01-2016 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunnybrook Farm (Post 1215696)
I think my new favorite color is Rust.

Nothing wrong with that! Go over the "mechanicals" to make it safe and then just enjoy the heck out of it.

Bob C 01-01-2016 11:20 AM

1934 trucks had two different size wheels. Early 34 was 5 on 6 7/8" and
late 34 with the full floating rear axle was 5 on 8".

Bob

Sunnybrook Farm 01-01-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1215852)
1934 trucks had two different size wheels. Early 34 was 5 on 6 7/8" and
late 34 with the full floating rear axle was 5 on 8".

Bob

Thanks, I didn't know that, I thought it was all 5 on 8. I need to check that out when I get out to the truck and also a parts truck that I found. Are there any other differences from early and late? I am a model A guy so the V8 world is new to me but the old truck are so neat that it is hard to resist.

41panelmark 01-03-2016 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltere (Post 1215702)
Interesting story. Just two weeks ago I was also offered a 33 truck that a 91 year old gentleman wants to sell. He had taken out the V8 and is setting beside the old gal. He said it had a knock. It appears he installed a B model engine and had it running. Here is the deal it has 4 new tires on it and has been stored inside. He wants me to price it but I really have no use for it. If somebody wants it I would try to help buy it for them.
Walter

Sounds like a good project for someone for sure.