The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Increasing RPMs when shifting Fordomatic into Drive (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298245)

zuburg 05-05-2021 10:44 PM

Increasing RPMs when shifting Fordomatic into Drive

As soon as I get my brakes finished (waiting for rebuilt power booster), I will shift Fordomatic to Drive on a newly started 292 (1956 T-bird). I expect Drive will put quite a load on the engine and may reduce the idle RPMs. I believe there is something that automatically increases RPMs when shifting into gear? I want to read up on that to be familiar with what I might have to do to get everything running the way it should.

55blacktie 05-05-2021 11:08 PM

Re: Increasing RPMs when shifting Fordomatic into Drive

Yes, there is. It's called transmission slip.

KULTULZ 05-06-2021 03:02 AM

Read in you SHOP MANUAL, setting curb idle RPM. There is no idle speed increase feature in your application.

dmsfrr 05-06-2021 09:32 AM

The carburetor has a 'fast idle' position in the choke mechanism but it only functions when the choke is engaged.

rotorwrench 05-06-2021 10:17 AM

Dashpots slow throttle closing for automatic cars but they weren't set up to increase the throttle position in that era. Many years later there were idle solenoids that increase rpm but mostly for engines loaded with air conditioning and other power robbing accessories.

The original idle settings for the cars with the old Ford-O-Matic were such that the engine should idle just fine when placed in drive. Let it idle long enough for the transmission to circulate some oil for a bit before shifting will insure that the system self purges any air that is in the passages before loading up the 2nd or reverse gear clutch. Most FOM transmissions of that era start out in 2nd unless the driver selects low. If a person has to reverse to get out of the drive way then it would be the first logical selection.

Daves55Sedan 05-06-2021 03:55 PM

Normal engine idle speed should be about 450-475 RPMs after engine is warmed up and automatic choke is disengaged. If you have a handheld dwell/tachometer, check and adjust in accordance with shop manual.
After doing this, check your passing gear link adjustment in accordance with the '56 Ford-O-Matic shop manual.
The Ford-O-Matic dashpot on your carburator is adjustable also and should be adjusted in accordance with the shop manual. If not adjusted properly it can affect engine speed.
Normally, the engine should idle at around 450 RPM and when you shift into "drive" the engine RPM will seem to be reduced, not increased.

rotorwrench 05-07-2021 01:21 PM

Even though the torque converter hasn't reached stall speed, it still places a drag on the engine when placed into a drive gear. The amount of drag shouldn't be enough to kill the engine though.

55blacktie 05-07-2021 04:30 PM

I think 450 rpm in neutral is low. 400 rpm in gear should be about right.