The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model T (1909-1927) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Lubricating the commentator (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239342)

Tom in SW VA 02-16-2018 11:14 PM

Lubricating the commentator

How and where you lubricate the commentator and how often should it done?

Thanks

redmodelt 02-16-2018 11:25 PM

Re: Lubricating the commentator

Roller type, motor oil every so often thru the oiler hole. Bush or flapper type, no lube. All type should be cleaned maybe once or twice a year or when ignition seems to be to be acting up and does not seem to be the coils.

dumb person 02-17-2018 12:31 PM

i fill the flapper full of grease. Roller timers needed oil every 50 miles. Filling one with grease seems to have reduced that but it still likes grease or oil added once a month or it wears.

Will N 02-19-2018 11:55 AM

I think that the problem with this board is that too many of the commentators are lubricated :).

jetmek 02-19-2018 10:15 PM

Ha Ha rum and coke is a pretty good commentator lubricant DOH

Royce P 02-22-2018 05:38 PM

Roller timers get ruined because folks don't lubricate them properly. Ford recommended packing the timer with Vaseline, then oiling it at every gas fill up.

My grandfather tried packing the timer with wheel bearing grease. Our family has found that it works fabulously. Just use either brown or red grease, not the black grease that contains molybdenum which will short out the timer. I try and change the grease every 1000 miles or so. When you do this, there is no wear. None. Car runs great. Easy. Cheap. Simple.

41panelmark 02-22-2018 10:19 PM

interesting idea Royce. What brand are you using?

Royce P 02-24-2018 02:01 PM

I buy 5 LB cans of Mobil #28 grease from http://www.skygeek.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by 41panelmark (Post 1596745)
interesting idea Royce. What brand are you using?

Jack Innes 02-24-2018 06:04 PM

Royce, This sounds like something worth doing. How much grease do you put in the timer?

Royce P 02-24-2018 08:20 PM

I pack it with grease.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Innes (Post 1597398)
Royce, This sounds like something worth doing. How much grease do you put in the timer?

41panelmark 02-25-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royce P (Post 1597460)
I pack it with grease.

Royce, I was re reading your first posts and I had a question.

One time recently I could not get my t to start and later after some discussion I realized that I had "over oiled" the commutator. I had to clean it up and put some light oil on the surfaces and put it back together and it ran fine. I was using 80wt trying to achieve something similar to what you have done with grease. So with the grease option if you pack it full of this red grease I assume the the roller pushes things around so that it makes contact anyway. Do I understand this correctly?

Got any photos of how your unit looks when doing this operation?

When it gets hot I am guessing the red grease stays mostly in tact and does not leak all over under the engine?

We use some red grease on semi truck chassis, I am wondering if they are similar to each other.

thanks,

Mark

Royce P 03-02-2018 04:18 PM

No, there is little to no leakage of the Mobil 28 grease. I have also used Mobil 1 synthetic automotive grease with equally good results, but I prefer the Mobil 28, perhaps because I occasionally get a free 5 pounder or two that reaches "expiration date" at the airport. They would rather give it away than have to pay for hazmat waste disposal!

I suspect that you are unable to "over oil" a timer. Perhaps you had a starting problem that you attributed to that, but realistically it's not possible. Certainly you can over oil a timer and make a significant mess, but the car would start and run just fine no matter how much oil you put in the timer.

Here's how the inside of a Ford roller timer that lasts forever looks:
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1...ize/timer3.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by 41panelmark (Post 1597967)
Royce, I was re reading your first posts and I had a question.

One time recently I could not get my t to start and later after some discussion I realized that I had "over oiled" the commutator. I had to clean it up and put some light oil on the surfaces and put it back together and it ran fine. I was using 80wt trying to achieve something similar to what you have done with grease. So with the grease option if you pack it full of this red grease I assume the the roller pushes things around so that it makes contact anyway. Do I understand this correctly?

Got any photos of how your unit looks when doing this operation?

When it gets hot I am guessing the red grease stays mostly in tact and does not leak all over under the engine?

We use some red grease on semi truck chassis, I am wondering if they are similar to each other.

thanks,

Mark

41panelmark 03-05-2018 07:19 PM

Thanks Royce.

lovat 11-15-2018 03:51 PM

Thanks!