The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Head Stud Q... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295880)

hardtimes 03-15-2021 02:46 PM

Head Stud Q...

Do parts suppliers sell an OVERSIZE head stud for A/B use ?

tinkirk 03-15-2021 02:51 PM

Re: Head Stud Q...

ARP will probably have what you might be looking for

alexiskai 03-15-2021 03:00 PM

Bratton's does. They also sell the oversized tappets – there was talk in another thread about those.

https://www.brattons.com/catalogsear...t/?q=oversized

hardtimes 03-15-2021 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinkirk (Post 1996548)
ARP will probably have what you might be looking for

Thanks much !
Ill contact ARP.

dansluck 03-15-2021 10:26 PM

Berts sells a head stud that has a bigger base and a standard upper . it can be used to repair a block without drilling the head.

hardtimes 03-15-2021 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dansluck (Post 1996702)
Berts sells a head stud that has a bigger base and a standard upper . it can be used to repair a block without drilling the head.

Excellent, thats what I’m into right now. Just finished drilling out seven broken head studs.
FREE hand ! NO broken drills.

Finally figured out the formula.

john in illinois 03-16-2021 04:44 PM

You might helcoil and use standard studs.

Synchro909 03-16-2021 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john in illinois (Post 1996946)
You might helcoil and use standard studs.

That's what I have done many times (never more than once on any particular stud :))

nkaminar 03-16-2021 06:51 PM

If you drill and tap the block for larger studs or helicoil inserts, use an sacrificial head to guide the drill, even if you have to enlarge the holes in the sacrificial head. Otherwise you stand the chance to have the studs bind in the head you plan to use.

johnneilson 03-16-2021 10:06 PM

I am going to try and be gentle here, but, hand drilling out studs is just bad practice.
The reasons are many, such as drilling off center, going too deep and breaking into the water jacket and just ending up with crooked studs. There are people with the machinery to do a proper job, in most cases the studs can be removed and the threads saved in the block.

I see blocks that are butchered up so bad that I just refuse to make anything other than farm implement ballast out of them. I have done the time savers, made sealed inserts and done heli-coils. All of the fixes work, for a while. Over torquing will just accelerate the failure rate.

FWIW, a properly installed heli-coil will test to 75 ft/lbs or higher. No good blocks were used in this testing. Just doing proof of concept.

John

Gene F 03-17-2021 05:42 PM

Thanks John.

zzlegend 03-17-2021 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnneilson (Post 1997044)
I am going to try and be gentle here, but, hand drilling out studs is just bad practice.
The reasons are many, such as drilling off center, going too deep and breaking into the water jacket and just ending up with crooked studs. There are people with the machinery to do a proper job, in most cases the studs can be removed and the threads saved in the block.

I see blocks that are butchered up so bad that I just refuse to make anything other than farm implement ballast out of them. I have done the time savers, made sealed inserts and done heli-coils. All of the fixes work, for a while. Over torquing will just accelerate the failure rate.

FWIW, a properly installed heli-coil will test to 75 ft/lbs or higher. No good blocks were used in this testing. Just doing proof of concept.

John

Good advise John. Not that it matters but last week i removed 5 broken studs on a B block i picked up. Used my mig welder and the washer and nut trick. Patience and carefully removed them. Now what to do with this block?

johnneilson 03-17-2021 07:41 PM

I’ll be over to pick it up

J

Bruce of MN 03-18-2021 05:12 AM

When I was reinstalling the head studs, one was a little loose, so I decided to helicoil it. Well, I didn't research it well enough and, afterwards, an experienced Model A’er had to remind me to use the head as a guide to drill the hole for the tap straight. My two helicoils were 4 deg from square and the head wouldn't go on. I removed them and used this insert to recover from my error: www.mcmaster.com/90259ai54. The specs say it needs a 33/64" tap drill, which I don't have, but 1/2" worked fine. In order to use the head as a guide, the holes in the head had to be reamed to 11/16" (as I recall), but that doesn't hurt anything, in my opinion. For checking squareness of tap, I used a 4" square I have. I would start the tap, turn enough to get a bite and then check for square in two directions, then adjust the tap and continue to bias the horizontal force in the direction needed and repeat every half turn or so. I used a nut and bolt to install the insert.