The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cork rear main seal opinions? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328311)

jetmek 07-03-2023 09:07 AM

Cork rear main seal opinions?

I havent found much info regarding this type seal. I dont think they are available currently. Has anyone got any feedback as to how well they work. Or dont?

jetmek 07-03-2023 01:13 PM

Re: Cork rear main seal opinions?

1 Attachment(s)
Nobody has any comments on this?

Flathead 07-03-2023 02:37 PM

Wasn't aware of a two piece style seal, interesting.

rotorwrench 07-03-2023 03:00 PM

There are two different groove widths and the difference isn't very much but try cutting composite cork to get a too wide one to fit and then you can see why they provide both widths. They need to fit tight in the groove so only one is needed.

ursus 07-03-2023 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 2237686)
There are two different groove widths and the difference isn't very much but try cutting composite cork to get a too wide one to fit and then you can see why they provide both widths. They need to fit tight in the groove so only one is needed.

They also need to fit snugly on crank journal, which has probably been turned down to a minus 10-30 thousandths.

jetmek 07-03-2023 04:43 PM

This is a seal for the rear main bearing with slinger removed. Not the bearing housing to oil pan cork

MAG 07-03-2023 05:32 PM

They seem to work great for a few hundred miles then they have the tendency to leak. And some times pretty bad. We just had one reversed. Welded the slinger back on the shaft and put it back like original. Lot of work but fixed the leak.

Terry Burtz, Calif 07-03-2023 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetmek (Post 2237713)
This is a seal for the rear main bearing with slinger removed. Not the bearing housing to oil pan cork

Those 2-piece cork seals were available from Snyder's for a very short time. If your diameter for the seal rubbing surface is between 2.090 and 2.150 inches, you can use the 1-piece modern radio lip seal that slips over the flywheel mounting flange.

Look for Bratton's #8970, Snyder's A-6336, Bert's A-6335-M, and others.

Smokedtires 07-03-2023 06:24 PM

Just tried installing a 1 piece rear main cork seal and it was too tight to fit into the groove. Will let the cork soak in oil overnight and try again tomorrow.

jetmek 07-03-2023 07:00 PM

Thnx. I figured like most pack type seals once they wear a little they start to leak

rotorwrench 07-04-2023 10:07 AM

If cork worked well for a rotational seal, Ford would have used it. In later years, they went back to the rope type seals. Modern fluorocarbon and fluorosilicone lip seals eventually showed up due to successful use in the aerospace industry.

The big oil slinger ring was hard to beat in the technology of the day. It required a drain tube that was protected from crankcase pressure so that's what they used and it does work as long as all the components involved are in serviceable condition.

katy 07-04-2023 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokedtires (Post 2237744)
Just tried installing a 1 piece rear main cork seal and it was too tight to fit into the groove. Will let the cork soak in oil overnight and try again tomorrow.

Good luck w/that, it's been my experience that when cork is soaked in a liquid it expands, .YMMV

Smokedtires 07-04-2023 05:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 2237881)
Good luck w/that, it's been my experience that when cork is soaked in a liquid it expands, .YMMV

Hopefully Les Andrew's Vol.1 didn't steer me in the wrong direction. Once I replace the timing gear and add oil I guess I'll find out.