The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is There An Electrician In The House? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81997)

Hster 11-14-2014 10:36 PM

Re: Is There An Electrician In The House?

Thanks
My question did relate to original question to this thread but I didn't see an answer. The question as I understand it is not how to adjust the amperage output , but what determines the voltage output.
I'll try a new thread

darrylkmc 11-14-2014 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hster (Post 981104)
Thanks
My question did relate to original question to this thread but I didn't see an answer. The question as I understand it is not how to adjust the amperage output , but what determines the voltage output.
I'll try a new thread

Hster,

The Battery is what determines the Voltage Output, sounds like you need to check the condition of the battery. Make sure it is a 6V battery and that it is in good condition.

Darryl in Fairbanks

Tinker 11-14-2014 10:51 PM

The battery has nothing to do with the overall voltage output if the generator is working and in the mix. You can make a generator put out way more volts then 6 or 12 volts, it's what controls it that matters. The voltage cutout or regulator controls the max voltage.

What am I missing here?

Mike V. Florida 11-15-2014 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darrylkmc (Post 981110)
Hster,

The Battery is what determines the Voltage Output, sounds like you need to check the condition of the battery. Make sure it is a 6V battery and that it is in good condition.

Darryl in Fairbanks

This is true. There are those that have 12 volt batteries with a stock generator.

Tinker 11-16-2014 10:14 PM

I'll bump this post up again becuase I want to learn and am not trying to be difficult. So if I have a 6 volt battery and a 6 or 12 volt generator with a 12 volt cutout or regulator. Will I do damage to the electric system? Just curious.

Tom Wesenberg 11-16-2014 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinker (Post 982263)
I'll bump this post up again becuase I want to learn and am not trying to be difficult. So if I have a 6 volt battery and a 6 or 12 volt generator with a 12 volt cutout or regulator. Will I do damage to the electric system? Just curious.

You need a cutout or regulator the same voltage as the battery.

The 6 volt generator can charge a 12 volt battery, and a 12 volt generator regulated down to 7.2 volts can charge a 6 volt battery.

Tinker 11-16-2014 10:45 PM

Ya that's what I though. Thanks Tom.

darrylkmc 11-17-2014 01:53 AM

What part of the Cutout regulates anything, it simply opens the circuit to the battery when the generator stops generating, thus preventing the battery from back-feeding to the generator.

Darryl in Fairbanks

Mike V. Florida 11-17-2014 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darrylkmc (Post 982344)
What part of the Cutout regulates anything, it simply opens the circuit to the battery when the generator stops generating, thus preventing the battery from back-feeding to the generator.

Darryl in Fairbanks

You want to wait until the generator matches the voltage of the battery to turn on. You don't want the generator at 6 volts connected to the 12 volt battery. Just as you don't want to connect a 6 volt charger to a 12 volt battery.

darrylkmc 11-17-2014 09:13 PM

I suppose that I have opened myself up to performing a test, which I will, but it will have to wait for a bit warmer weather here.

My line of thinking is that the purpose of a reverse current cutout relay is precisely that, prevent the reverse flow of current from the battery to the generator once the generator stops producing power.

Darryl in Fairbanks

Tom Wesenberg 11-18-2014 04:59 AM

Darryl, you are correct.

With near 15,000 views and the number of electrical problems that are mentioned, I think someone needs to write a book and make a video of troubleshooting the Model A electrical system and include a tutorial on using an analog multimeter.:)

tbirdtbird 11-18-2014 10:54 AM

Tom, that person could be you! A good way to get thru the winter