The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A Missing Badly (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285435)

Robert/Texas 08-11-2020 09:38 AM

Model A Missing Badly

My ’28 roadster has been running great until yesterday. I started it in the garage, and it started right up and ran smoothly for about a hundred yards. Then it started missing like crazy as it might if it were starving for gas or way out of time. It didn’t have enough power to drive it back to the garage. I drained the gas tank, replaced all filters and replaced the E-10 gas with E-free gas. I removed the carburetor, checked the float for leakage and adjustment and blew out everything with my air hose. I checked the timing and point adjustment and they were right on. None of this helped.
Any suggestions as what to do next will be appreciated.

Thanks, Robert

30 Closed Cab PU 08-11-2020 09:49 AM

Re: Model A Missing Badly

If you have a spare condenser - swap.

Pull the plugs and inspect. Perhaps fouled or dirty. Clean and re-gap.

Disconnect the plug leads with the plugs in, space the leads from the plug terminal about 1/8 inch, all equally spaced. Start car, each gap should have a nice blue spark and each gap/spark should not miss.

This hopefully will narrow down if it is electrical/ignition.
Let us know results, try diagnostics to narrow things down before swapping parts/trying things.

chap52 08-11-2020 10:01 AM

With it running carefully remove one spark plug wire at a time. Listen, you should be able to identify which plug is not firing properly. If there is a change, it's not that plug. If no change you have narrowed it down.
Now follow the advice from 30 Closed Cab PU
Don't just start replacing things. Find the cause and as always "Enjoy the adventure." Chap

ryanheacox 08-11-2020 10:06 AM

I'm currently chasing an intermittent high speed miss. Still checking through the ignition system. 9 times out of 10 a fuel problem is actually electrical.

30 Closed Cab PU 08-11-2020 10:16 AM

Do you have wireless plates or electronic ignition?

Ernie Vitucci 08-11-2020 10:40 AM

Good Morning...You might check the distributor body and cap. The bodies can crack and if you can start the car in the garage...you can sometimes see the spark escaping. The little metal connector that rubs on the little tit in the top of the distributor cap can fail to make contact after a few years. Examine the tit for wear and if it looks good bend the metal strap on the rotor and see if the problem is fixed. Also check to see that you have 0.025 thousands between the rotor tip and the four studs that go to the connectors on top of the distributor body. Ernie in Arizona

Jacksonlll 08-11-2020 10:49 AM

Something easy to check is a manifold leak. Get it running and spray starter fluid on the intake gasket area and the manifold itself. If anything changes, that’s your problem. Easy fix. Good luck

Robert/Texas 08-11-2020 11:07 AM

Many thanks.

I was thinking that it might be the condenser although I just replaced it about 6 weeks ago with a “Short Proof” one. Sure enough, that was the problem. I had 5 spares, 2 of the old type and 3 of the new. The second one I tried (new type) worked. I think that I need to replenish my collection of these.

Thanks again, Robert

Purdy Swoft 08-11-2020 11:20 AM

I had a similar problem that was caused by sticky new stainless steel valves and guides . It has been said that using new stainless steel valves with new replacement, original style valve guides can cause a sticky situation . After adding a liberal amount of Marvel Mystery oil to the fuel solved the problem . I now mostly add four ounces of Marvel Mystery oil to each ten gallons of gas that is used in the car .

30 Closed Cab PU 08-11-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert/Texas (Post 1919060)
Many thanks.

I was thinking that it might be the condenser although I just replaced it about 6 weeks ago with a “Short Proof” one. Sure enough, that was the problem. I had 5 spares, 2 of the old type and 3 of the new. The second one I tried (new type) worked. I think that I need to replenish my collection of these.

Thanks again, Robert

Some run their spares for awhile to make sure they are good. From what others have experienced it is not uncommon for non A and Ls to go bad shortly after installation. A and Ls do not go bad as often.

Will N 08-12-2020 10:00 AM

I see you are located in Texas. What was the air temperature down there? 100 yards is a short distance to have this happen, but if it was very hot, it could have been vapor lock caused by the fuel boiling in the carb and fuel line.

Jerry in Shasta 08-12-2020 12:21 PM

Model A Missing "Badly". The last time I saw Badly he hitch hiking down south of town looking to cause trouble, is he still missing? Just had to say it pun intended

Jerry in Shasta 08-12-2020 12:23 PM

Did it run long enough to cause vapor lock?

Chuck Sea/Tac 08-12-2020 12:28 PM

Have you determined whether it’s fuel or spark???
You can give it a shot of ether after it quits running and if it coughs and briefly fires, it’s obviously a fuel problem.

1928Mik 08-12-2020 02:53 PM

Mine did the same thing last year. Found out the screw that holds the timing cam in place had loosened up. New cam and screw solved the problem for me.

30 Closed Cab PU 08-12-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac (Post 1919419)
Have you determined whether it’s fuel or spark???
You can give it a shot of ether after it quits running and if it coughs and briefly fires, it’s obviously a fuel problem.

Post 8 says it is fixed, he had a bad condsenor on a 6 week old short proof replacement condenser.

Patrick L. 08-12-2020 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU (Post 1919474)
Post 8 says it is fixed, he had a bad convenor on a 6 week old short proof replacement condenser.

Happens all the time doesn't it.

Big hammer 08-13-2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert/Texas (Post 1919060)
Many thanks.

Thanks again, Robert

Thanks for reporting how you fixed your problem !

McMimmcs 08-13-2020 01:25 PM

Mine was missing badly and then I looked in my other barn and found it. Not missing anymore !

Patrick L. 08-13-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 1919757)
Mine was missing badly and then I looked in my other barn and found it. Not missing anymore !

I'm beginning to have the problem too. :D