The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hydro Brakes (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201982)

William Kelchner 08-05-2016 12:32 PM

Hydro Brakes

My 30 had hydraulic brakes on it when I bought it. I was told the system is off a 48 ford. The brakes work ok but the park brake does not and is not connected. The cables from the rear drums are routed to the cross shaft which the inside park brake handle operates, I believe only to keep tension on the cables as this arrangement is non-functional. Curious how other owners with hydraulic brakes have their park brake connected and working.

I found this out few days ago while parked at the gym on a ever so subtle grade, went to leave, pushed the clutch in, noticed a small tree alongside me was moving (hey I'm the one moving) took a peek in rear view mirror and I was about an inch from drifting backwards into a brand spanking new Camry. It was then I discovered I do not have enough arms and legs to start the car on a hill with no park brake and not move another inch. I know now! Thanks Cheers

Bill K

SeaSlugs 08-05-2016 12:46 PM

Re: Hydro Brakes

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Kelchner (Post 1334516)
My 30 had hydraulic brakes on it when I bought it. I was told the system is off a 48 ford. The brakes work ok but the park brake does not and is not connected. The cables from the rear drums are routed to the cross shaft which the inside park brake handle operates, I believe only to keep tension on the cables as this arrangement is non-functional. Curious how other owners with hydraulic brakes have their park brake connected and working.

I found this out few days ago while parked at the gym on a ever so subtle grade, went to leave, pushed the clutch in, noticed a small tree alongside me was moving (hey I'm the one moving) took a peek in rear view mirror and I was about an inch from drifting backwards into a brand spanking new Camry. It was then I discovered I do not have enough arms and legs to start the car on a hill with no park brake and not move another inch. I know now! Thanks Cheers

Bill K

couldnt you just start it in neutral left foot on brake right foot hit starter button?

then once its running put right foot on brake too then slip left foot onto clutch and away ya go.:p

William Kelchner 08-05-2016 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSlugs (Post 1334524)
couldnt you just start it in neutral left foot on brake right foot hit starter button?

then once its running put right foot on brake too then slip left foot onto clutch and away ya go.:p

Yeah that worked it was one of those how am I going to do this moments....:)

denis4x4 08-05-2016 03:26 PM

Speedway has the kit to use cables that will hook up to the stock A ebrake handle

William Kelchner 08-05-2016 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denis4x4 (Post 1334579)
Speedway has the kit to use cables that will hook up to the stock A ebrake handle

Thanks - a lot of stuff on their site. I'll see what I can come up with in the AM.
Have a good weekend..

Bill K

biggieou 08-05-2016 06:08 PM

Mine runs to the center shaft. If I remember tomorrow, I'll try and take a pic. Although I will say that mine isnt the best setup. They worked ok before I redid my brakes, and now they barely work. I have been trying to adjust them up, but just cant get them right.

k24556 08-05-2016 06:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I just finished getting the hand brake working on my 29A. I came to me with hyd brakes, but a half-baked job with the brake handle buried in the trunk. I used the mechanical brake system cross shaft (also buried in the trunk) and welded a tab and a link of chain to capture the shackle.

I had to shorten the cable and used cable clamps to make it work. It works great and the brakes actuate nicely. See if the photos help.

I'm currently in the middle of routing new brake lines, learning all over how to double flare.

C26Pinelake 08-05-2016 08:34 PM

Are Hydro and Hydraulic brakes the same thing ? Wayne

Russ B 08-06-2016 01:54 AM

My emergency works fine. The cables are split and attach on the cross shaft where the original emergency brake rods attached. A turnbuckle is attached to the cross shaft and the cable is attached to the turnbuckles using a standard cable U-bolt clamp.

link from e-brake handle to cross shaft
http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rwsdbgkfq...MG_4250-vi.jpg

Cable, clamp, turnbuckle to cross shaft
http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rwsdbgkkq...MG_4252-vi.jpg

Terry, NJ 08-06-2016 07:50 AM

On two of my cars I have Hyd. brakes and both have working Emergency brakes. One uses the cross shaft and one type does not. One system uses only a single cable that pulls on the brakes equally when it's tightened. The other system uses two shorter cables attached to the arms on the cross shaft, both seem to work well. But I'm just a little partial to the single cable system because of the connection methods. The two cable method uses U bolt cable clamps, which don't impress me as being 100% reliable, However It's worked well until now.
Terry

William Kelchner 08-06-2016 08:11 AM

Thanks you guys, especially for the photos. Between all of the photos I should be able to come up with something.

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-06-2016 09:21 AM

Although NOT original, one owner mounted an early Volvo lever between the seats on a Tudor, with a simple cable arrangement.
Bill W.

Jim Brierley 08-06-2016 10:46 AM

I have the single cable attached to the emergency brake lever directly with about a 1 foot link in between, no cross shaft. It works fine.

William Kelchner 08-06-2016 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Brierley (Post 1334913)
I have the single cable attached to the emergency brake lever directly with about a 1 foot link in between, no cross shaft. It works fine.

Very interesting. Think I'll crawl under there today and take a look at a direct hook up. Tnx

KenCoupe 08-07-2016 12:15 AM

Cling's also makes an emergency brake kit which works very well. I have that on my coupe.

William Kelchner 08-07-2016 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenCoupe (Post 1335219)
Cling's also makes an emergency brake kit which works very well. I have that on my coupe.

Thanks Ken - How do I get in touch with Cling's. Thanks

Afordman31 08-07-2016 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Kelchner (Post 1335276)
Thanks Ken - How do I get in touch with Cling's. Thanks

Bill, Give this a try:

https://www.clingsaftermarket.com

William Kelchner 08-07-2016 04:44 PM

Checked out Cling's site and that kit they sell is perfect. Then I crawled under the car and SUPRISE! The emergency brake cross shaft end pieces are not present, so much for this solution. I know there are no more of these particular cross shafts left on earth. #%E$LD#. Think this party is over.

Thanks for all the input. Cheers

Bill K

Terry, NJ 08-07-2016 07:14 PM

Have a single, two ended, cable made up in the length you need/want. You'll need the small rubber dust boots too. Get the regular cable parts from someone with later Ford stuff. Tell him what you want to do. Then you'll just need a piece of linkage the right length to tie it together and make it work. The best thing would be to talk to a mod A guy, or someone who deals in the forties Fords, first. They can walk you through the process. It's not that hard and the parts are very available.
Terry