The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Separating Control Rod from Control Arm (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284803)

saxman657 07-30-2020 12:19 PM

Separating Control Rod from Control Arm

Hi all, I have been having a heck of a rattle from my steering column and some in my club think its coming from the control arms. I've pulled my horn rod and steering wheel and per the Les Andrews book, tried to sheer the pins with a 3/16" socket attached to a 6" extension. Try as I might, those pins aren't sheering a bit. Anyone else have this problem or maybe a different technique? I have new pins and the anti-rattle bushings ready to go.

ryanheacox 07-30-2020 12:55 PM

Re: Separating Control Rod from Control Arm

I used a punch to drive them out partially and then grabbed them with pliers and pulled them out the rest of the way. If you can't get them out you might have to drill them.

saxman657 07-30-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1914746)
I used a punch to drive them out partially and then grabbed them with pliers and pulled them out the rest of the way. If you can't get them out you might have to drill them.

Thanks much. I'll try the punch first. Someone else mentioned drilling out as well.

1crosscut 07-30-2020 04:01 PM

Very possible that they have been replaced in the past with a pin made out of harder material. Grinding off one end and driving out will do the job.

saxman657 07-30-2020 04:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok, I was able to get the arms removed from the rods - combination of drilling and a punch. Working the rods out of the upper bushing -- in very snug and upper bushing is not budging even though the two set screws are out. See pics below. My first time doing this so pardon the questions. Would heat be an answer to to loosen upper bushing (some of the pot metal is already broken off)?

Answers or suggestions anyone?

Sunnybrook Farm 07-30-2020 08:25 PM

The springs should keep things tight, a lot of the housings are cracked right behind where the shafts come out are painted and patched. Could there be a hidden crack in the column housing itself?

jw hash 07-30-2020 09:32 PM

the upper bushing is made out of pot metal if you try to heat it up with a torch you can melt the bushing. I take it you are working on a seven tooth box. I don`t know of any easy way to get that bushing out without taking the steering shaft out.

1931 flamingo 07-31-2020 07:04 AM

Some have drilled a small hole in the column and sprayed insulation foam inside.
Paul in CT

d.j. moordigian 07-31-2020 12:50 PM

The quadrant, were the spark/gas rods ride on is a press fit. I used a piece of 2" sch 80
ABS and trimmed to fit the quadrant and tapped it DOWN. That relieves some of the pressure on the bushing. You will more than likely need to remove the steering shaft to
get the bushing out. The quadrant was drilled, chamfered and tapped too the bushing
when it was assembled....a one shot deal..