The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Anyone install Cigarette/USB outlets? How and Where? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171235)

PepeLoco 06-15-2015 03:27 PM

Anyone install Cigarette/USB outlets? How and Where?

1 Attachment(s)
This is probably something I would install under the gas tank with double sided sticky tape. Or is there a better place?
I also want to install an auxiliary fuse box too.
Thanks,
Chris

HoarseWhisperer 06-15-2015 03:34 PM

Re: Anyone install Cigarette/USB outlets? How and Where?

Mine is installed under the Roadster seat riser lip along with the Power Inverter

Pete 06-15-2015 04:00 PM

I installed it parallel up under the dash rail by the right door.. It is completely out of sight.

CarlG 06-15-2015 04:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I installed this unit up under the gas tank on the right side next to the kick panel with Velcro. It's hardwired into the fuse box on the firewall (which is also attached with Velcro)

Fred K-OR 06-15-2015 04:14 PM

I put mine on with a bracket on one of the dash bolts and put used Velcro for the converter which I installed on the steering support bracket. Remember if you don't have 12 V and you need it, you will have to also put in a converter. Also remember if you do put in a converter, that you are going from a positive ground to a negative ground (don't ask me how I know-two burned out GPS plugs)

rudvirus 06-15-2015 04:27 PM

Anyone have pictures of there installed going from a 6v to make it a 12volt to use these?

HoarseWhisperer 06-15-2015 05:25 PM

Power Inverter:

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/Co...0CHD-10489.pdf

Fred K-OR 06-15-2015 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudvirus (Post 1103800)
Anyone have pictures of there installed going from a 6v to make it a 12volt to use these?

Like I mentioned above, this is what I did. Sorry do not have pictures at this time. But if you do it, remember you are going from a positive ground to a negative ground.

Brendan 06-15-2015 07:24 PM

I got a power outlet in the seat riser of my roadster. its 12 volts

Dick Carne 06-15-2015 11:28 PM

On our fordor, we used velcro and strapped a unit to a carpet insert that is placed under the front seat on top of the front seat pan. The unit that we used has two outlets, and one of those we went ahead and placed a power cord to, and then routed it between the bottom and seat-back cushions; the second we fished a power cord under the seat riser and until it is needed, the cord is hidden under the front carpet. On our phaeton, we mounted an outlet on the bottom lip of the front seat riser. Hope this helps.

Dick

msmaron 06-16-2015 04:40 PM

yup i have 2 installed at each end of the dash rail, bought a power inverter from mikes for 99.99, installed in the left cowl, with 1 wire up and to the junction box and the other to the cig lighter, splitting off to the other at the opposite end, Works great, uses it for everything.

Fred K-OR 06-16-2015 09:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the way I installed my 12 V plug and the converter. Please don't laugh to much at the crude wiring job. It is a "farmers" way of getting the job done and it does work. But---REMBER, hook positive to positive and negative to negative. And also don't ask me how I know about the last statement.

Bob Johnson 06-17-2015 12:42 AM

I have installed several WITHOUT a 12V converter. The USB voltage is 5V so a 6V system should be OK. Just make sure you connect the + and - correctly.

Bob

Russ B 06-17-2015 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan (Post 1103888)
I got a power outlet in the seat riser of my roadster. its 12 volts

same for my cabriolet

Willie Krash 06-17-2015 02:21 PM

I'm just too lazy. You can buy a portable charger at Amazon for $15.99.
The are very small. A lipstick charger is $12.99

glenn in camino 06-17-2015 07:42 PM

I have the 3 hole type in my deluxe delivery installed behind the passenger seat so my wife can use it for her phone, We're also going to use it for our GPS on this summer's tours. The delivery is 12 Volt.

Bob Bidonde 06-21-2015 10:44 AM

I have outlets on the steering column secured with plastic cable ties, and under the gas tank held with Velcro. I use these to operate a Garmin GPS and to charge my cell phone.

diomed 06-21-2015 04:47 PM

I was looking at using something like this as a USB port solution. It puts out 3 amps which is more than enough for any cell phone.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-C...837239928.html

jmeckel 06-21-2015 10:35 PM

I installed a converter on my A zip tied it to the steering column under the gas tank, out of sight. Those who choose to run the stock 6 volts to a usb charger, good luck My pbone is too expensive to feed that noisy power to. I purchazed my 6 volt positive ground to 12 volt negative ground converter off from ebay and it works great.

Neil Mylar LakewoodCA 06-22-2015 01:10 AM

Jon,
Do you remember who you purchased the converter from on ebay?
How and where did you wire it?
Thanks, Neil