The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cool running (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259339)

EJ 02-17-2019 10:04 AM

Cool running

Regardless of how long I have been running or the terrain travelled winter or summer when I stop my engine goes cold very quickly probably 20 mins half hour, I'm never sure whether to use the choke or not when I want to restart. It's not causing me a problem and my engine is running fine, I was just wondering if anyone else had the same thing or is that the way it is with the A.

Ray in La Mesa 02-17-2019 10:18 AM

Re: Cool running

I think how quickly the atomized gas condenses out, in the induction system, after the engine is shut off, and your carb/induction configuration, is what you're dealing with. It varies from engine to engine. On my newly rebuilt engine with performance cam, 6:1 head & twin side by side "B" carbs (stock intake w/ second 90 degree elbow braised on for second carb), I can Start the engine w/o choking for only I-2 minutes. On an older totally stock engine it could sit for up to 10 minutes & restart w/o choking. Ambient temp. probably has something to do with it too.
Run a few test starts with different time delays to see what your parameters are.

katy 02-17-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

I'm never sure whether to use the choke or not when I want to restart.
Try 1/2 choke.

EJ 02-17-2019 10:25 AM

Thanks Ray will give it a try.

EJ 02-17-2019 10:27 AM

Thanks Katy, I only use half choke when ever I start but thanks for the input.

Purdy Swoft 02-17-2019 12:34 PM

Just a quick touch of full choke is the way that I always crank mine . Too much choke and it can flood . After all it is an updraft setup .

WHN 02-17-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 1727886)
Just a quick touch of full choke is the way that I always crank mine . Too much choke and it can flood . After all it is an updraft setup .

I also start our car this way. Fresh tune with new plugs, or in need of adjustment. Has always needed a quick choke. Enjoy.

Tom Wesenberg 02-18-2019 03:27 AM

I always use a 180* thermostat, and never have to use the choke unless the engine is stone cold, which takes hours. I never drive my Model A's in cold weather, which is 40* or less.

old31 02-18-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray in La Mesa (Post 1727838)
I think how quickly the atomized gas condenses out, in the induction system, after the engine is shut off, and your carb/induction configuration, is what you're dealing with. It varies from engine to engine. On my newly rebuilt engine with performance cam, 6:1 head & twin side by side "B" carbs (stock intake w/ second 90 degree elbow braised on for second carb), I can Start the engine w/o choking for only I-2 minutes. On an older totally stock engine it could sit for up to 10 minutes & restart w/o choking. Ambient temp. probably has something to do with it too.
Run a few test starts with different time delays to see what your parameters are.

Ray do you have a pic of your carb set up, sounds interesting.

Ray in La Mesa 02-18-2019 03:58 PM

Haven't figured out how to post pictures yet, any instructions?

Tom Wesenberg 02-18-2019 09:25 PM

I click on.......... "GO ADVANCED"
Then click on.... "MANAGE ATTACHMENTS"

Click on Browse, find your picture, click on it, then Upload your picture.

Ray in La Mesa 02-19-2019 10:38 AM

Thanks