The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Starter spring (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45727)

western77 08-24-2011 09:47 AM

Starter spring

I broke a starter spring and would like to know the right way to install a new one. I have the drive on the starter shaft and one side of the new spring bolted to it. I put the key on the shaft and slid the small piece on the shaft and onto the key. Now I need to rotate the small piece to attach the other end of the spring but which way do I go? Do I wind the spring tighter or go the other way ? Thanks JB

Richard Redmond 08-24-2011 02:38 PM

Re: Starter spring

I recently had to repair my original style starter Bendix. The spring did not need to be twisted either way to tighten it up or slacken it. I think it would be extremely difficult to crank another full turn into the spring! With the head end installed on the key, the bolt holes and spring ends should line up.

You may find the link below of interest -

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ghlight=Bendix

western77 08-24-2011 06:41 PM

That is what I thought too, but it has been 35 years since I have replaced one. This one had a broken spring and the two holes are definetley are 90 degrees from lining up. The broken spring was a model a spring with the two eyes in line. I don't get it ?????? JB

Tom Wesenberg 08-24-2011 07:55 PM

The drive head is keyed to the armature and the starter pinion isn't, so it can rotate to line up the 2 bolts, one on each end of the spring.

If you look at the spring for the Model A, it will have a spiral like that of a LEFT HAND screw, not to be confused with other springs with a right hand spiral.

glenn in camino 08-24-2011 08:09 PM

Throw the original one away and get one of the new aftermarket tractor ones. Cheap insurance.

John LaVoy 08-25-2011 08:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We are currently working on an article, for the Model A Times, about the spring clips Ford added to the starter Bendix. The bolts line up so the spring that does not allow this is unwound. A-11383 spring clip adds additional support to the bolt and helps keep the spring aligned. Not sure when this clip was introduced but it you can find it in the parts price list December 1932. They are available through the parts dealers now because they are being remade.

Tom Wesenberg 08-25-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John LaVoy (Post 262060)
We are currently working on an article, for the Model A Times, about the spring clips Ford added to the starter Bendix. The bolts line up so the spring that does not allow this is unwound. A-11383 spring clip adds additional support to the bolt and helps keep the spring aligned. Not sure when this clip was introduced but it you can find it in the parts price list December 1932. They are available through the parts dealers now because they are being remade.

John, In the picture you just posted, the spring clips should be on the inside of the spring, rather as on top as in the picture. You also need the common lock washers under the bolt heads.

John LaVoy 08-25-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 262096)
John, In the picture you just posted, the spring clips should be on the inside of the spring, rather as on top as in the picture. You also need the common lock washers under the bolt heads.

Tom,
Makes sense to me, I'm looking at the Ford Service Bulletin, and it appears they were installed on top of the spring as I did it. Do you have something that shows it differently?

Tom Wesenberg 08-25-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John LaVoy (Post 262128)
Tom,
Makes sense to me, I'm looking at the Ford Service Bulletin, and it appears they were installed on top of the spring as I did it. Do you have something that shows it differently?

John, Page 571 in the SERVICE BULLETINS, plus a couple of original drives I worked on a few years ago.

Richard Redmond 08-25-2011 11:23 AM

I recently installed these clips and I'm sure Tom is right. I can't quite make out what is happening on the right side of the picture but the lower bolt (close to the pinion gear) has to be wrong.

The clips 'clip' onto the shaft and head with the clip holes and shaft bolt holes aligned. The spring slides over the clips and you can then see that the built up thickness of the clip reduces the twist of the spring when it is 'torqued'. I'm hoping that this will reduce the likelihood of the securing bolts loosening or stripping their threads.

(5/16 " bolts with 5/16 spring and 3/8" bolts, 30 - 31, with 3/8" spring).

Richard Redmond 08-25-2011 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry - forgot that I took some photos, the clip shows on this one.

John LaVoy 08-25-2011 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 262143)
John, Page 571 in the SERVICE BULLETINS, plus a couple of original drives I worked on a few years ago.

Tom,

So this is the way they are installed?

John

Tom Wesenberg 08-25-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John LaVoy (Post 262177)
Tom,

So this is the way they are installed?

John

Yes, I like to push the clip in as I tighten the bolts, otherwise the clip barely fits under the first coil.

Later springs had the coil on each end turned to a bit smaller diameter, so the clips weren't used on them.

John LaVoy 08-25-2011 12:55 PM

I found my original clip and see the wear indicating how it fits. It is even marked Bendix. Thanks for pointing that out, the service bulletin picture is a little deceiving.