The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rooming/installing a '40 coupe split back seat (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285660)

russcc 08-16-2020 05:24 AM

Rooming/installing a '40 coupe split back seat

I need to remove the split back seat in the '40 coupe. It was a real bear to install the 1st time. Anyone engineered up some device consisting of maybe something like a couple of steel pipes to slide the seat out and in on so I don't have to reinvent the wheel. Even with help, it's a backbreaking job. Thank you Fordbarners.

V8COOPMAN 08-16-2020 06:01 AM

Re: Rooming/installing a '40 coupe split back seat

Quote:

Originally Posted by russcc (Post 1920682)
I need to remove the split back seat in the '40 coupe. It was a real bear to install the 1st time. Anyone engineered up some device consisting of maybe something like a couple of steel pipes to slide the seat out and in on so I don't have to reinvent the wheel. Even with help, it's a backbreaking job. Thank you Fordbarners.

Maybe a wide strap cinched in a tight loop around the center of the seat, with your cherry picker through the opened door. DD

V8 Bob 08-16-2020 06:30 AM

It's a lot easier to simply remove the seat backs first, then lift out the seat bottom, leaving the frame to unbolt from the floor. Installation is the reverse. :)

TJ 08-16-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8 Bob (Post 1920702)
It's a lot easier to simply remove the seat backs first, then lift out the seat bottom, leaving the frame to unbolt from the floor. Installation is the reverse. :)

Bingo! The backs come off very easily. remove the side shields and you can get to the lower mounts.

russcc 08-16-2020 03:37 PM

That's how I installed it with the seat backs off, but that's a bear in itself to get them in, lined up and pulled out to line up with the pins. I will try it with them in first, and then that's the backup move. I might try the cherry picker idea if it will reach in far enough.
Doesn't sound like anyone has engineered and easier way yet. Time to put the thinking cap on and see what I come up with.

Krylon32 08-16-2020 05:44 PM

Trade a husky neighbor a beer for a little help.

russcc 08-19-2020 08:17 AM

! constructed a double wide pipe slide long enough to fit up against the driveshaft tunnel, and out the door, about 7-8', which I will slide the seat out on. It will be top heavy with the two seat backs on it, so I will removed them one at a time as they come out the door. That's a lot easier than trying to handle the seat backs in the car. Will keep you posted and along with photos.