The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Engine Knock at 2000 RPM (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285189)

Sheldon Paulger 08-06-2020 07:05 PM

Engine Knock at 2000 RPM

I had my 1930 model A engine rebuilt about 1200 miles ago. It was rebored, babbitt removed and shell bearings installed. I could hear a light knock from the beginning. The engine re-builder claimed all was normal.

Last winter, he agree to re-inspect the engine if I removed it from the frame. He dismantled it and while he had it apart, I had a Synders touring camshaft install and a Snyders 6:1 high compression head installed. The re-builder claimed he could find nothing out of order with his rebuild.

The engine seems to sound normal at low RPM but rattles as 2000 RPM is reached.

Read a couple threads talking about pistons hitting the head or the head gasket if it protrudes into the bore.

Any other ideas? Any way to check pistons hotting head or gasket without removing the head.

J Franklin 08-06-2020 11:20 PM

Re: Engine Knock at 2000 RPM

Are you positive it is an internal engine noise and not transmitting peripherally?

fredski53 08-07-2020 12:32 AM

Odd, I had my engine rebuilt with inserts and it is making a similar noise! I have H/C head and electronic ignition. Builder claims too much advance. I've changed distributor back to points but knock still there. I've given up! Just drive it, and when it breaks, then I'll know what to fix!

old31 08-07-2020 07:59 AM

I have a Snyders 6.1 head, babbits and drive at 2,300 rpms and no noise.

Licensed to kill 08-08-2020 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldon Paulger (Post 1917396)
I had my 1930 model A engine rebuilt about 1200 miles ago. It was rebored, babbitt removed and shell bearings installed. I could hear a light knock from the beginning. The engine re-builder claimed all was normal.

Last winter, he agree to re-inspect the engine if I removed it from the frame. He dismantled it and while he had it apart, I had a Synders touring camshaft install and a Snyders 6:1 high compression head installed. The re-builder claimed he could find nothing out of order with his rebuild.

Read a couple threads talking about pistons hitting the head or the head gasket if it protrudes into the bore.

Any other ideas? Any way to check pistons hotting head or gasket without removing the head.

Pull the plugs and look at the top of the pistons with a bore scope. If they are touching there should be a mark left on the piston.

Chuck Sea/Tac 08-08-2020 02:26 PM

So - - - is it a knock, or a rattle? Or did it evolve?

Sheldon Paulger 08-21-2020 05:59 PM

It is knock that was there from day one of the overhaul (but fairly quiet). The knock seems to be getting louder at 2000 rpm and above.

Analysis of the oil shows high copper, iron, lead, and tin.

Licensed to kill 08-21-2020 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldon Paulger (Post 1922598)
It is knock that was there from day one of the overhaul (but fairly quiet). The knock seems to be getting louder at 2000 rpm and above.

Analysis of the oil shows high copper, iron, lead, and tin.

Copper typically indicates a bearing, likely a main in this case. If it was a throw it would have "thrown" by now. A main can knock for quite awhile, maybe not as long on a 3 main model A as a modern engine but a lot longer than a rod. I would pull the pan and check all of them starting with the mains. Does the knock change with the throttle, IE better or worse when you give it gas or when you let off the gas?.

Sheldon Paulger 08-21-2020 08:22 PM

Knock is only under load and 2000 rpm +. Can not hear knock sitting still and revving the engine with no load. Noise is there in all gears at 2000+.

eagle 08-21-2020 09:13 PM

Aluminum timing gear can make a metallic rattle although I think it most likely starts at lower rpm. Is a motor mount loose or front pulley touching? Take a prybar to lift engine while running.

steve smith 08-21-2020 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle (Post 1922658)
Aluminum timing gear can make a metallic rattle although I think it most likely starts at lower rpm. Is a motor mount loose or front pulley touching? Take a prybar to lift engine while running.

Hard to hold on to that crowbar while putting on a load at 2000rpm going uphill

Jack Shaft 08-21-2020 10:20 PM

The only way you get a copper reading on a model a is an engine with insert bearings and one or more of the bearings is coming apart

Jack Shaft 08-21-2020 10:22 PM

thats why I like high speed babbit..no thin liner of babbit ...nope,its all babbit..

Kurt in NJ 08-22-2020 08:39 AM

Will the noise change if you retard the spark ?

Sheldon Paulger 08-22-2020 10:27 AM

I will double check that today, but pretty sure I have done that with no change---will let you know.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-22-2020 12:46 PM

If I am reading the #1 post correctly, the knock has been in the engine since it was first rebuilt. Then upon a disassembly and inspection, a high compression head was installed. Since the knock has been there since the rebuilt engine was first completed, I think I would rule out piston interference.

As for the high copper, lead, and tin, ...these are items found in bronze, -and if the thrust bearing on the main was made from Bronze and then clearanced too tightly, this could be the source of those high levels in the oil.

Without being able to check clearances with micrometers and indicators, anything we say will just be speculation. Maybe it is one or more bent connecting rods, maybe tappet to bore clearances are excessive, maybe the line-boring operation bedded the crankshaft outside of being truly parallel with the cylinder case or even straight in the centerline.

Jack Shaft 08-22-2020 04:00 PM

Trace values of a substance,like the copper component of bronze wont register as a 'hard value' on the spectrometer. Generally a copper 'warning' is from the bearing shell once the babbit is gone.Bronze wear will show as bronze.
Oil samples require rigorous attention to sample collection method as well as a baseline of samples to compare to.

M2M 08-22-2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldon Paulger (Post 1917396)

Sorry to hear this has happened to you. Did the engine rebuilder ever hear this rattle at 2000 rpm? If no, why not? If yes, what did he say?

M2M 08-22-2020 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1922857)
If I am reading the #1 post correctly, the knock has been in the engine since it was first rebuilt. Then upon a disassembly and inspection, a high compression head was installed. Since the knock has been there since the rebuilt engine was first completed, I think I would rule out piston interference.

As for the high copper, lead, and tin, ...these are items found in bronze, -and if the thrust bearing on the main was made from Bronze and then clearanced too tightly, this could be the source of those high levels in the oil.

Without being able to check clearances with micrometers and indicators, anything we say will just be speculation. Maybe it is one or more bent connecting rods, maybe tappet to bore clearances are excessive, maybe the line-boring operation bedded the crankshaft outside of being truly parallel with the cylinder case or even straight in the centerline.

Good post. Could be bad workmanship or a bad part. Being that the engine rebuilder has already taken it apart and checked it for problems (or so we think) it's hard to know where to go next in this situation. Start from scratch and have someone else rebuild the engine again?