The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   4th of July. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283345)

Lawson Cox 06-29-2020 04:24 PM

4th of July.

Be prepared for the 4th, get a fifth on the third. Don't be caught short. :)

tubman 06-29-2020 04:59 PM

Re: 4th of July.

Lawson, you're showing your age posting this, and I'm showing mine by responding. I'll bet they haven't bottled a fifth of liquor in this country for fifty years. I will admit it's awkward to say "Be prepared for the 4th, get 750 millilitres on the third. Don't be caught short."

That just don't work at all.;)

For all of you young whippersnappers out there, it was called a "fifth" because it was a fifth of a gallon. Why? I don't know; it may have been due to some arcane way they taxied liquor back in those days.

39portlander 06-29-2020 05:10 PM

Lawson, you have a great fourth and I will not be putting the tomatoes in the fruit salad:rolleyes:

Jack E/NJ 06-29-2020 07:07 PM

750ml has always been only a few weenie ml short of a fifth. Even in the olden days. But a weenie here and a wienie there and in 50 years you're talking about being shorted a lot of weenies. Jack E/NJ

Pete 06-29-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ (Post 1904220)
750ml has always been only a few weenie ml short of a fifth. Even in the olden days. But a weenie here and a wienie there and in 50 years you're talking about being shorted a lot of weenies. Jack E/NJ

When you are saving up for a new yacht, every little weenie counts.

GB SISSON 06-29-2020 09:01 PM

So. is a fifth, a fifth of a gallon as opposed to a 4th which is a quart? Always wondered what it meant.

tubman 06-29-2020 09:29 PM

Yep/ Used to be fifths, quarts, and half-gallons. I have seen larger on wrought iron stands. Now it 750 millilitres and 1.75 liters. One area where they were finally able to force metric measurements on the USA.

ford38v8 06-29-2020 10:23 PM

Shows my ignorance too. I never knew they did away with fifths. Tell me, do they still have half pints and pints? My father was never without his half pint of Early Times! On paydays, he'd splurge and bought pints! :D

GB SISSON 06-30-2020 12:36 AM

While I seldom buy or consume hard liquor I have been intrigued by a whiskey called 'old grand-dad'. I think that's because of a Hank Jr song. One of my grandkids calls me that and I thought of painting it over the windshield of my tonner. Sort of the name of the truck (and me). I asked the manager of the grocery store tonight (Washington State sells liquor in the grocery store)and he never heard of it ???... Not sure where this came from on a discussion of the fourth of July and an old ford site at that. Nonetheless I am a proud American and I look forward to the Holiday even though my grandkids won't be with us in the parade, There won't even BE a parade! But I will still be proud to say 'This is my country". End of rant.

flatford8 06-30-2020 02:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy fourth Gary!!....Mark

V8COOPMAN 06-30-2020 02:55 AM

Well I surely didn't realize the nomenclature (nor the actual amount) had changed, but Al Gore's internet says that 1/5 gallon, or 4/5 quart is 25.6 ounces, which is so very close to 750ml (25.4oz) that we still use the term fifth to describe this size bottle. The fifth stopped being the standard size of a U.S. liquor bottle on January 1, 1980. I'll stick to my Bud Light Lime! DD

1952henry 06-30-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 1904318)
While I seldom buy or consume hard liquor I have been intrigued by a whiskey called 'old grand-dad'. I think that's because of a Hank Jr song. One of my grandkids calls me that and I thought of painting it over the windshield of my tonner. Sort of the name of the truck (and me). I asked the manager of the grocery store tonight (Washington State sells liquor in the grocery store)and he never heard of it ???... Not sure where this came from on a discussion of the fourth of July and an old ford site at that. Nonetheless I am a proud American and I look forward to the Holiday even though my grandkids won't be with us in the parade, There won't even BE a parade! But I will still be proud to say 'This is my country". End of rant.

Old Grand-Dad is good sipping whiskey. Happy 4th.

tubman 06-30-2020 10:01 AM

"Early Times"? "Old Grand Dad"? We seem to have some "Traditionalists" here in more ways than one.

ford38v8 06-30-2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1904455)
"Early Times"? "Old Grand Dad"? We seem to have some "Traditionalists" here in more ways than one.

Early Times was my father's rotgut. He'd pass it to me for a shot that would give me a shiver you couldn't fake. For me today, Makers 46 is my poison if any at all, and I just might break it out on the 4th, by golly! :D

russcc 07-01-2020 07:33 PM

Rotgut, how about "Old Mr. Boston". If we all drive our EV8s on the 4th with a flag stuck on it somewhere, that's an individual parade, or team up with EV8 friends. I find where ever I go on local roads in the '29 roadster hot rod, I get thumbs up, a yell or a wave. Spread the fun around .

GB SISSON 07-01-2020 07:45 PM

I already have the 48 star cotton canvas flag attached to the woodie for our 'parade' around town on the fourth. I'll have the old grand dad when we return home!

tubman 07-01-2020 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford38v8 (Post 1904282)
Shows my ignorance too. I never knew they did away with fifths. Tell me, do they still have half pints and pints? My father was never without his half pint of Early Times! On paydays, he'd splurge and bought pints! :D

I was "obligated" to stop by the local liquor store yesterday. Your question piqued my interest, so I checked out the "little bottles" they still keep behind the register.

No more pints or half-pints; all I saw were 375 millilitres.

Them damn Europeans finally got us!;)

ford38v8 07-01-2020 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1905008)
I was "obligated" to stop by the local liquor store yesterday. Your question piqued my interest, so I checked out the "little bottles" they still keep behind the register.

No more pints or half-pints; all I saw were 375 millilitres.

Them damn Europeans finally got us!;)

Well, I'd still be carrying my 6" steel rule in my pen pocket, but I ain't got nuthin 6" to measure anymore. :mad:

cmbrucew 07-01-2020 09:33 PM

Forget the europeans, the canadians had imperial quarts of VO.

Sober over 10 years.

Bruce

Pete 07-01-2020 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford38v8 (Post 1905038)
Well, I'd still be carrying my 6" steel rule in my pen pocket, but I ain't got nuthin 6" to measure anymore. :mad:

I still have my 6 inch P&E slide rule. I don't know if they metricized those or not.