The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Grancor heads & intake advice please (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298072)

Kube 05-02-2021 08:23 AM

Grancor heads & intake advice please

2 Attachment(s)
Got this stuff dug out yesterday. Have little clue as to what it's application is nor value. It'll probably get listed once I have a better handle on it.

I do know the history of Grancor but zero about these parts.

Kube 05-02-2021 11:22 AM

Re: Grancor heads & intake advice please

Guys, I am getting a number of private messages expressing interest in this stuff. With respect, I need to do a bit more research prior to offering this up for sale. The guys that have dealt with me know when I list stuff (eBay) I start the bidding very reasonably and don't utilize reserves. Where the bidding ends is the value... I list stuff to sell it, not to get it appraised.
In fairness to all of those interested, I'll post here when I list it. Fair enough?

In the meantime, anyone know anything about this specific stuff?

deuce lover 05-02-2021 11:26 AM

The intake appears to be V860 ?

Zeke3 05-02-2021 11:34 AM

Sorry, neither one will work on my 21 stud engine, but they sure are pretty.

Bored&Stroked 05-02-2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce lover (Post 2012764)

Upon looking closer - that is correct . . . and there are not that many folks building V8-60's these days. I've never built one - and will probably never get around to doing so. :confused:

Guess I was confused - thanks for the clarification!

Kube 05-02-2021 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 2012769)
Upon looking closer - that is correct . . . and there are not that many folks building V8-60's these days. I've never built one - and will probably never get around to doing so. :confused:

Nope, it's the 85/95 HP block intake. I just minutes ago held up a gasket... fits perfect.

Kube 05-02-2021 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce lover (Post 2012764)

I can see where the photo may make that appear to be so, but rest assured, it's the 85/95 HP intake.
A photographer, I am not :)

tubman 05-02-2021 01:32 PM

There was a thread on the H.A.M.B. a week or so ago about Grancor heads. The gist of it was that all Grancor equipment was good. (This is easy to believe because of the company's history.) One guy on that thread said that he picked up a set of pre-49 heads (like those shown) on eBay for $700 and later re-sold them for an amount that made him very happy. If the heads are in good shape, I would expect that you could expect the same results. Have you seen the price of new Offenhauser heads lately (if you can even find them)?

I would also expect the manifolds value would be increased if being sold with the heads as a matched set, rather than by itself.

EDIT : I just checked the thread I referenced, and the guy paid $700 for the heads in 2015.:eek: I think things like this have gone up since then.

V8COOPMAN 05-02-2021 02:13 PM

Delete

samsonized 05-02-2021 08:32 PM

get in touch with kerry hopperstad hopperstad customs he knows who reproed these

belvidere illinois

mercman from oz 05-02-2021 08:47 PM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1619961708

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1619961708

Very nice Finned Heads and Intake Manifold.

Ol' Ron 05-03-2021 09:15 AM

The Grancor heads came in several styles. The most commom is the standard Ford combustion chamber and plug location. The Race head had a special chamber and plug location. I only saw these without fins. However was told they came both ways. Be nice to see the chamber of the ones you have.. Might double the price..
Gramps

1948F-1Pickup 05-03-2021 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
GRANatelli CORp had their hands in a lot of things.
I've got an air computer in my parts drawer where they tried to sell the EPA
on its ability to improve mileage and reduce emissions.....

alchemy 05-04-2021 11:10 AM

I have the exact same heads and intake, and they are my favorite speed parts. Saving them for my "someday" roadster.

If you are going to list them on Ebay make sure to show nice clear pics of the undersides. The topsides of heads always look good, but many sins can be hid on corroded gasket surfaces.

slowforty 05-04-2021 12:41 PM

Grancor Heads and manifolds work well because they were copies of other manufacturers designs. (Granatelli was always looking for money making opportunities}They are worth what you can get for them. I sold a set of the heads that were for a 49 to 53 motor for $400 a few years ago. They cracked on the new owner when they got powder coated.