The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Joes antique auto parts (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297610)

demingboy 04-21-2021 10:03 AM

Joes antique auto parts

Hi there. In all my reading on this forum I do not see much about Joes Antique Auto Parts. They seem to have any part I would ever need for my 41 sedan. Please forgive me if this is readily available on the search format.
I was looking for lever shocks after reading a post here. I am aware a member re- builds them. I was looking for a kit to do so.

So just two questions does anybody use Joes?

Other question is it just easier to convert to tube shocks?

JSeery 04-21-2021 10:17 AM

Re: Joes antique auto parts

Not sure where you have been looking/reading, but Joe's is referenced VERY often on the Barn! If not daily, then at least weekly.

Rebuilding the original shocks is not simple, but can be done. There are a couple of past threads on the topic.

Converting to tube shocks depends on how original you are wanting to keep your car.

51504bat 04-21-2021 10:27 AM

Said it many times here and on other forums as well. Joe's is my go to source for parts for my '39 p/u. If Joe doesn't have it he'll suggest who might have it. Fair prices and reasonable and fast shipping. Joe and his staff know their stuff. Nuff said.

Tim Ayers 04-21-2021 10:34 AM

Joe's is one of the best.

drolston 04-21-2021 10:40 AM

First, tube shock conversions do not improve riding or handling qualities over properly functioning stock Houdaile shocks. The front suspension on the '41 is unique. You might be able to use a 1940 tube shock conversion, only if you remove the sway bar, which you truly do not want to do. The easiest thing to do is send shocks to Andy for a rebuild. Probably not a job you want to tackle on your own, unless you have machinist skills and tools. It is not a "rebuild kit" type of job.

Veeder 04-21-2021 10:59 AM

Joes is fabulous!

flathead48 04-21-2021 11:08 AM

I use Joe’s when ever possible, they are first class.

corvette8n 04-21-2021 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just sent my rear original shocks to Andy for a rebuild, he did my front shocks about 2 years ago. I looked into converting to tube shocks but it was more work than what it was worth, by the time you try to find tube shocks that fit and buy the kit(s) to mount them you’ve spent way more than having them rebuilt.

[email protected]

mark180 04-21-2021 11:22 AM

Joe is awesome. Fast friendly service.

Bob NH 04-21-2021 11:30 AM

One of the best places you will ever shop ! Joes of course.

demingboy 04-21-2021 01:03 PM

Darn I knew I should have searched concerning Joe,s before I asked. Won,t do that again. I agree with the general consensus about send them for rebuild. I want as original as I can get. Previous owner put in a 1951 motor but other than that its pretty close.
I had just watched a promo video about the 1941 ford and the sway bar was mentioned as a big upgrade.
Thnaks again

Teltruck 04-21-2021 01:57 PM

Joe’s the Best! Very Helpful and Honest! Great to deal with!
Bob

Pete/Ct. 04-21-2021 03:06 PM

Joes always ready to help and wuick to get the parts to use. Along with 3rd Gen the only guys I use. Pete/Ct.

42guy 04-21-2021 05:48 PM

I have used Joe's many times. Great guy.

Frank Miller 04-21-2021 07:45 PM

If Joe does not have it he will find it. If there is a problem with fit he will let you know. I'm close by but I have seen people praise the fast shipping.

Steve/IL 04-21-2021 07:53 PM

My first choice for parts!

McMimmcs 04-21-2021 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demingboy (Post 2009493)
Hi there. In all my reading on this forum I do not see much about Joes Antique Auto Parts. They seem to have any part I would ever need for my 41 sedan. Please forgive me if this is readily available on the search format.
I was looking for lever shocks after reading a post here. I am aware a member re- builds them. I was looking for a kit to do so.

So just two questions does anybody use Joes?

Other question is it just easier to convert to tube shocks?

Difficult to understand as he is mentioned on a regular basis ????

Jeff/Illinois 04-21-2021 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51504bat (Post 2009500)
Said it many times here and on other forums as well. Joe's is my go to source for parts for my '39 p/u. If Joe doesn't have it he'll suggest who might have it. Fair prices and reasonable and fast shipping. Joe and his staff know their stuff. Nuff said.

Exactly.. my feelings X10

Joe's has done me right!! They are the best for Early V-8 parts and info

Karl 04-22-2021 04:13 AM

Great source and good to deal with-When you on the other side of the world the bad vendors show up pretty quickly. I don't notice Joes showing up a lot here but thats probably because they do such a good job and no ones bitching about them . Macs on the other hand shows up lots but for all the wrong reasons !

big job 04-22-2021 04:46 AM

Joe's got my vote.....