The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Upholstery question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294951)

vern hodgson 02-24-2021 11:49 PM

Upholstery question

Seems I read somewhere that no padding was installed in door panels originally. Yes or no?

nkaminar 02-25-2021 07:18 AM

Re: Upholstery question

I don't know but suspect not. I know that restorers would stuff newspaper in the doors to make them sound better. Nowadays the available sound dampening material would be better.

31Tudor 02-25-2021 08:35 AM

Vern,
Do you mean between the upholstery and the backing, or in the door for insulation? There is a little padding between the actual upholstery and the carboard backing. On the door panels and the side panels of the rear of a Tudor. The other panels do not have padding.

Bob Bidonde 02-25-2021 09:31 AM

I have never found any padding on the doors or any of the side panels in Model A's. The interiors I have installed have no padding in the door panels.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 02-25-2021 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vern hodgson (Post 1989147)
Seems I read somewhere that no padding was installed in door panels originally. Yes or no?

Vern, you gotta help out a little more. What bodystyle? Tell us which bodystyle and I probably can give you the part number for the wadding (-correct nomenclature for "padding") on whatever panel you are referring to.

vern hodgson 02-25-2021 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1989223)
Vern, you gotta help out a little more. What bodystyle? Tell us which bodystyle and I probably can give you the part number for the wadding (-correct nomenclature for "padding") on whatever panel you are referring to.

That would be between the cardboard panel and the upholstery. The door bezel seems to not allow any space for padding and even installing over fabric would be a tight fit

vern hodgson 02-25-2021 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1989212)
I have never found any padding on the doors or any of the side panels in Model A's. The interiors I have installed have no padding in the door panels.

So it’s just interior fabric against the door cardboard panel?

vern hodgson 02-25-2021 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1989223)

Oh yeah, a special coupe

Gary Karr 02-25-2021 11:42 AM

On your Special Coupe, there should be a thin wadding of cotton material between the panel board and the fabric on door panels and the small lower side panels between the door and seat back. Most current upholstery kits will use a thin foam. I use a 1/4" cotton batting from a quilting shop.

31slant 02-25-2021 04:06 PM

What do you guys use for panel board?

vern hodgson 02-25-2021 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31slant (Post 1989416)
What do you guys use for panel board?

I bought mine at Perfect Fit upholstery supply. Twenty dollars for two boards, enough to do both doors. Picked up at will call to save on shipping.

Gary Karr 02-26-2021 12:12 PM

Your local upholstery supply stores should carry water resistant panel board.