The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   headers that work with original steering box (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297598)

coxswain98 04-21-2021 12:05 AM

headers that work with original steering box

I've seen a number of headers that say 'may not work with original steering'

What are the headers, if any, that will work with original steering box?

Should I just get a Vega steering box?

Where is the best source for the pipes to fit the frame? Can they be purchased bent to fit?

51 MERC-CT 04-21-2021 03:49 AM

Re: headers that work with original steering box

Quote:

Originally Posted by coxswain98 (Post 2009383)
I've seen a number of headers that say 'may not work with original steering'

What are the headers, if any, that will work with original steering box?

Should I just get a Vega steering box?

Where is the best source for the pipes to fit the frame? Can they be purchased bent to fit?

Until you reveal 'what vehicle' you are taking about, to me at least, it will remain a 'mystery'.
But, either Red's Headers or Fenton has headers that are 'tucked' in on the passenger side.

mfirth 04-21-2021 06:57 AM

Have used Red's on two flathead fords...good product & easy to talk to folks.

coxswain98 04-21-2021 08:12 AM

1939 Standard Coupe

I see it can be done. In this picture, does anyone recognize those headers or steering box? Do you think those pipes are custom bent, or can I find them for sale?

Thanks for the help

https://cdn.dealeraccelerate.com/ab/...standard-coupe

aussie merc 04-21-2021 08:16 AM

after cast or tube ? if cast Fentons

deuce_roadster 04-21-2021 08:29 AM

I now have Sanderson block hugger flathead headers on my 32 5w coupe. No issues with stock steering box. I don't currently have a picture of them in the 32 5w photo album. Will try to add a pictures later today into the MISC album. They exit straight down.

Zeke3 04-21-2021 08:42 AM

Red's Headers also has the connecting pipes from the headers to the mufflers available.

deuce_roadster 04-21-2021 08:53 AM

Here is 1 picture, 2 others in my MISC album. Stock frame, stock steering box 3/16 clearance to rear tube.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictu...ictureid=43746

51 MERC-CT 04-21-2021 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce_roadster (Post 2009462)
Here is 1 picture, 2 others in my MISC album.

Yep! 'Center dump' as you have is another way to go.

KenBolton 04-21-2021 09:05 AM

Original manifolds will work as it is possible to bend a “U” in the exhaust pipe.

russcc 04-21-2021 10:34 AM

Did I miss something, or we are flinging solutions at something for we know not what. Depending on what it is, Red's is the best choice for tubular headers and the exhaust pipes as stated.

JSeery 04-21-2021 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russcc (Post 2009506)
Did I miss something, or we are flinging solutions at something for we know not what. Depending on what it is, Red's is the best choice for tubular headers and the exhaust pipes as stated.

He posted 39 std coupe. But did not add details like ordinal engine or later model, stock transmission, original steering box, etc.

tubman 04-21-2021 10:58 AM

When I got my '51 in 1987, the first thing I did was buy a set of Fenton headers and install duals. I remember the drivers side headpipe to be a challenge, but I got them installed and loved the sound. About 20 years later, I remember reading on one of the forums (I believe it was the H.A.M.B.) that Fenton's don't fit "shoebox" Fords.:eek:

corvette8n 04-21-2021 11:26 AM

My ‘41 coupe came with a set of Reds headers on it when I bought it, I had to remove the drivers side to weld up a hole in the header, unfortunately I had to cut the pipe between the header and muffler because of rust, but I was able to order another pipe from Reds to replace it. I had to remove my horns from the inner fender in order to get enough room to get the header out then in but everything fits fine. Email Reds they will answer your questions promptly.

V8COOPMAN 04-21-2021 12:32 PM

[QUOTE=coxswain98;2009451]1939 Standard Coupe

I see it can be done. In this picture, does anyone recognize those headers or steering box? Do you think those pipes are custom bent, or can I find them for sale?

I'm seeing a stock '39-ish steering box. It looks like the exhaust MIGHT be something like the pictured (BELOW) "MERCURY 8CM" type exhaust manifolds which exit toward the front. They would bolt-on to your engine. I believe the rusty head pipes are "custom(?)" bent. ANY decent exhaust shop could do that in a jiffy. DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...7&d=1619025580

deuce lover 04-21-2021 02:31 PM

Back in 2009 I had a 36 5W. I replaced the '36 steering with a '37-'38 unit along with the bracket.I then installed a 59A motor.I bought a set of Reds headers and on the drivers side the header touched the steering box.I had to do some pry bar tweaking to get clearance.

Zeke3 04-21-2021 03:15 PM

Duece Lover, did you buy headers for a 1936 or 37 since the steering box was changed?

Pete 04-21-2021 03:54 PM

"W" type will SOMETIMES solve the steering clearance problem.

It is not pertinent to a street engine but W type headers will make more hp on a race engine.

deuce lover 04-22-2021 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke3 (Post 2009607)
Duece Lover, did you buy headers for a 1936 or 37 since the steering box was changed?

I bought them for a stock '36.That might have been the problem.

V8COOPMAN 04-22-2021 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 2009517)
He posted 39 std coupe. But did not add details like ordinal engine or later model, stock transmission, original steering box, etc.

It is a STANDARD as evidenced by the front bumper, and the absence of a crankshaft-mounted fan. The engine is definitely an early one (BEFORE 8BA) as seen by the oil pan, and the trans is definitely a 'top shifter' type like in '39. It even has the '39 "leaning" clutch arm. Steering box is stock '37-'48-type. And, I'd be willing to bet this car is also equipped with a Columbia rear end. DD