The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Instrument Panel Lamp (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290272)

mgambuzza 11-16-2020 07:47 PM

Instrument Panel Lamp

2 Attachment(s)
Just received the instrument panel lamp, but of course no directions on installation. Does anyone have one of these, or have directions on where I would attach as well as connect to to illuminate this properly? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

FordTudor1931 11-16-2020 09:09 PM

Re: Instrument Panel Lamp

The light is installed behind the dash panel with the screw in the middle of the dash going through the round hole on the light. The square hole fits into an indentation on the dash to keep the light from turning. The wire from the light should be pointed left (towards the steering wheel). Connect the wire to the ampmeter (either side) with the wire going through a small cutout at 11 o'clock on the instrument panel.

Bob C 11-16-2020 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of open car. The wire hooks to the ammeter.

mgambuzza 11-16-2020 10:11 PM

As I say - a picture is worth a thousand words (although the words provided here are far more descriptive than the vendors who sell these). Thank you!!

ArtimusGordon 11-16-2020 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This photo might help.Attachment 447697

Pat/Ohio 11-18-2020 08:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Speaking of dash light switches...Can anyone post a picture of their installed dash light switch on a 30-31 closed car? When I install my dash light using the center dash screw as the mounting location, my light bulb is hidden between the open rectangles behind the dash rail.

Thanks,
Pat

Mister Moose 11-18-2020 09:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I can't tell what's goin on from your photo. My car is an early '30, built in Dec '29 Tudor. The instrument light is in the center of the dash, in a holder/switch combo about the diameter of a quarter. Pushing the housing in turns the light on.

1st photo dash with light housing in center
2nd photo housing from underneath, showing bulb
3rd photo taken with only light from the instrument light

Pat/Ohio 11-19-2020 08:59 AM

Mister Moose, Thanks for your reply. My '30 is the later design with the light above the cluster in the rail. I have the round speedometer. I believe I may have a mixture of 1930 parts in that there is no opening in the metal strip behind the dash rail to allow the light to shine through.

My dash light is as shown in post #1.

Pat

LeRoycoupe/N.Y. 11-19-2020 09:53 AM

As stated, it is mounted beneath the dash rail and wire
ran down into a little slot in top of the instrument panel
to ammeter or ignition switch. My is On when power is
to distributor.

Y-Blockhead 11-19-2020 12:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat/Ohio (Post 1953689)
Speaking of dash light switches...Can anyone post a picture of their installed dash light switch on a 30-31 closed car? When I install my dash light using the center dash screw as the mounting location, my light bulb is hidden between the open rectangles behind the dash rail.

Thanks,
Pat

Pat, I think your light needs to be under the part that it is now over. (If I am looking at your picture correctly).

Here is a picture of the dash light in my Town Sedan.

Bill Cilker 11-19-2020 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pat
Here is a picture of my 1930 coupe's instrument panel light. It is bolted to the the back of the dash with the center dash bolt, you can see it just behind the bulb cover.

Pat/Ohio 11-19-2020 03:34 PM

Y-Blockhead & Bill Cilker, Thanks so much for the pictures. What I have is a mixture of '30 parts. The dash rail appears to be the later '30 rail and the metal strip that it is bolted to is probably the early style which doesn't have the opening in the center to mount the light fixture. My dash panel might have been an early oval style speedometer cluster and was replaced at some time with the round dash cluster style.

I will modify the opening a little to allow the dash light to "peek" through.

Thanks again,
Pat

1930 coupe 11-19-2020 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat/Ohio (Post 1953945)
Y-Blockhead & Bill Cilker, Thanks so much for the pictures. What I have is a mixture of '30 parts. The dash rail appears to be the later '30 rail and the metal strip that it is bolted to is probably the early style which doesn't have the opening in the center to mount the light fixture. My dash panel might have been an early oval style speedometer cluster and was replaced at some time with the round dash cluster style.

I will modify the opening a little to allow the dash light to "peek" through.

Thanks again,
Pat

It looks like your car originally had the early 30 gas tank with the oval speedometer, and someone replaced the gas tank with a late 30 tank that uses a round speedometer. To make everything fit correctly would involve replacing the gas tank with the correct tank, and the speedometer and ignition switch and insterment cover.

katy 11-19-2020 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat/Ohio (Post 1953689)

Thanks,
Pat

How about using a piece of flat metal to use as an "extension" to move your light over a bit.

ryanheacox 11-20-2020 09:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just want to understand this correctly. The light mounts to one of the dash rail screws? Mine is mounted to one of these bolts shown in Bill Cilker's picture. I'll have to check if it has the opening in the dash rail. The engine # dates to April '30 but it has the later tank & round speedo. Always thought the engine # was wrong, maybe not.

Pat/Ohio 11-20-2020 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ryan, Yes..the light mounts to the center screw in the dash rail. You place the mount on the center screw from behind the rail and add a nut. See the blue lines which point to the screw head and nut in the picture below. Thanks to all who explained it to me!

Pat