The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Carburetor display/ Diagram (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287341)

30standardcoupe 09-16-2020 09:08 PM

Carburetor display/ Diagram

Greetings,

I have been asked by our Model A club to give a basic demonstration on the functionality of a Model A Carburetor.

I thought about starting off mentioning about fuel flow to the carburetor, then going into basic stuff such as fuel filter inside the carburetor, the proper fitment of the choke/main butterfly, GAV valve, float level, etc.

To "set the stage" I do have access to a Computer, excel, power point, etc.

The average age is about late 50's on up ranging from first time Model A owners, to "Very knowledgeable"

Are there any diagrams or displays out there that show the carburetor functionality etc?

Or is a there a "Cheat sheet" or troubleshooting list or items to look for?

Also, what demonstrations have you seen that really was good or made an impact on you.

I am open to pretty much anything,

Like to hear your ideas,

TIA
Clay

McMimmcs 09-16-2020 10:16 PM

Re: Carburetor display/ Diagram

Keep it basic because the more complicated you make it the better chance someone in the group will know more than you and play pin-the tale on the donkey. If you’re not already an expert on carburetors why would they ask you to address the subject? .

160B 09-16-2020 10:43 PM

Below is a great web site with lots of information to help you with your seminar.

here are some of the sections

Assembling Carburetors
Back fires at high speeds
Basic Info
Cap Jet
Carburetor Idle RPM and Idle Air Mixture Adjustment
Carburetor Removal and Disassembly
Carburetors and Carbohydrates
Castings
Casting Threads
Choke Arm and GAV Driver
Choke Driver with Wing Nut
Cleaning Carburetor
Cleaning minor dirt, rust particles or sludge out of Carburetor.
Compensator Jet
Compensator Jet Orfice contains dirt or rust, or is too small.
Compensator Jet Orfice is too large.
Complete List of Component Details
Complete List of Procedures

http://model-a.org/

Ford Acar 09-17-2020 05:05 AM

Exactly my thoughts.

AL in NY 09-17-2020 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The attached diagram is the best one I've seen on the Model A Zenith carburetor.

AL in NY 09-17-2020 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If the above link doesn't work, here is a photo of the diagram.

30standardcoupe 09-17-2020 09:08 PM

To answer your question: I fall into the category that this is my first model A. I have worked on allot of forms of Internal combustion engines over the years. I am the type of guy that will dig in and figure the issue out or how to modify it to get it back on the road.

With that being said, I have been dealing with a carb issue/ Model A issue for the past few months off and on. Also reaching out to others for help and advise and listening very attentively to those instructions and keep pressing forward.
I made a check off list, then I am not going back and fourth as much.

Next years president asked me to give a demonstration on carbs, and what I have learned (because I have been dealing with issues) and to basically take it from a newbies point of view.

I am honored to do it, just want to be well prepared,

TIA
Clay

GRutter 09-17-2020 09:15 PM

If anyone has a copy of the book "restoring the model a carburetor the Rex Reheis way" it is a bible of information on Model A carburetors.
Rex passed several years ago and I don't believe his book has ever been republished. Don't know what the copyright laws may be but it would be a service to the Model A community if that could be published online digitally.

Joop 09-18-2020 11:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hope this helps

Gary WA 09-18-2020 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30standardcoupe (Post 1932425)
Greetings,

I have been asked by our Model A club to give a basic demonstration on the functionality of a Model A Carburetor.

I thought about starting off mentioning about fuel flow to the carburetor, then going into basic stuff such as fuel filter inside the carburetor, the proper fitment of the choke/main butterfly, GAV valve, float level, etc.

To "set the stage" I do have access to a Computer, excel, power point, etc.

The average age is about late 50's on up ranging from first time Model A owners, to "Very knowledgeable"

Are there any diagrams or displays out there that show the carburetor functionality etc?

Or is a there a "Cheat sheet" or troubleshooting list or items to look for?

Also, what demonstrations have you seen that really was good or made an impact on you.

I am open to pretty much anything,

Like to hear your ideas,

TIA
Clay

modelabasics.com