The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Starter selaniod (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286569)

Bigjohnson 09-02-2020 08:11 PM

Starter selaniod

Where can you get a 12 volt push button let me no thanks guys

JSeery 09-02-2020 08:37 PM

Re: Starter selaniod

Are you looking for a starter solenoid with the pushbutton on the bottom like the 6v? They may exist, but I don't know of a source. You can get a 12v solenoid that looks and operates like the 6v, but it doesn't have the push button.

B-O-B 09-02-2020 08:55 PM

Have you checked with a parts store?
NEW SOLENOID WITH PUSH BUTTON FITS UNIVERSAL 12 VOLT 3 TERMINAL RATED T…

REPLACES:ACCURATE 7-1012ACE 1187912 VOLT, 3-TERMINAL, BASE GROUNDED CURVED BRACKET. NOTE: WITH PUSH BUTTON. SEE: 6600-1003 (WITHOUT PUSH BUTTON).APPLICATIONS:PLEASE VERIFY YOUR OE…
Technical Details
Brand
Rareelectrical
Product Dimensions
8 x 4 x 4 inches
Manufacturer Part Number
7-1012
OEM Part Number
7-1012 11879 71012
Voltage
12 volts

JSeery 09-02-2020 09:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Looks like BOB shows what you are looking for. My only concern would be the price, seems a bit on the cheap side to me. If it works well, I would be interested in some feedback.

I can't tell from the description, but sounds like it may require a hot vs ground input to activate. At least that is how I understand "grounded base".

An insolated solenoid requires a ground (starter button) to activate. A grounded solenoid requires a hot source (starter button) to activate.

Aarongriffey 09-03-2020 12:01 AM

C@G has them all.
They are listed under solenoid/relay.
12 volt with push button. $16.
1800 266 0470

Alaska Jim 09-03-2020 12:55 AM

excuse my ignorance, but what function does the push button serve? I have seen them and did not know what it was for.

V8COOPMAN 09-03-2020 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Jim (Post 1926987)
excuse my ignorance, but what function does the push button serve? I have seen them and did not know what it was for.

You can easily bump, or crank the engine over from under the hood by merely pressing on the button on the bottom of the solenoid. CAUTION: PUT TRANS IN NEUTRAL FIRST!*! DD

Alaska Jim 09-03-2020 02:22 AM

v8coopman, Thank you. that would be a very handy item. learned something new. Thank you

drolston 09-03-2020 11:44 AM

Way handier is a remote starter cable. It clips to the starter button terminal on the solenoid and any ground. With it you can bump the starter from any position around the engine.

Kube 09-03-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Jim (Post 1926999)
v8coopman, Thank you. that would be a very handy item. learned something new. Thank you

Back "in the day" they were called (slang) a dead man's switch.

51 MERC-CT 09-03-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drolston (Post 1927127)
Way handier is a remote starter cable. It clips to the starter button terminal on the solenoid and any ground. With it you can bump the starter from any position around the engine.

Makes more sense than installing a new solenoid. That's what I use. (unless you have an arm stretcher)

Alaska Jim 09-03-2020 12:42 PM

drolston, I am aware of the remote starter switch, and have a couple of them, but do not carry one in the car.

V8COOPMAN 09-03-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

I'm trying really hard to understand just how a "remote starter cable", that you have to walk over to and get out of the tool box, unwind and untangle the wires, hook-up the two wires, USE IT, then unhook the two wires, wrap it back up, walk back over and put it away in the tool box, then walk back to the car again....what the hell is so friggen' "HANDIER" about that? C'mon Man! DD

51 MERC-CT 09-03-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1927144)
C'mon Man! DD

Great 'Biden' impersonation.

Automotive Stud 09-03-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1927144)
I'm trying really hard to understand just how a "remote starter cable", that you have to walk over to and get out of the tool box, unwind and untangle the wires, hook-up the two wires, USE IT, then unhook the two wires, wrap it back up, walk back over and put it away in the tool box, then walk back to the car again....what the hell is so friggen' "HANDIER" about that? C'mon Man! DD

It takes seconds to hook up with alligator clips, and once it's on there you don't have to reach over to the solenoid, you can stand wherever it is comfortable that you are working and have the remote button in your hand. If it's not for you, don't buy one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 1927154)
Great 'Biden' impersonation.

LOL

cas3 09-03-2020 02:11 PM

i am using an old 6v push button switch with 12 v going thru it. when i first installed it, i mounted it on the firewall with the button on top, seemed more convenient like that. worked good many times, but finally one day stuck in the engage position, and luckily i did not have the battery cable tightened up. it seems the spring inside is not very powerful, and the unit needs a little help from gravity to pull it off the contacts. flipped it over, and have not had a problem since

V8COOPMAN 09-03-2020 05:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automotive Stud (Post 1927157)
..... once it's on there you don't have to reach over to the solenoid..... wherever it is comfortable that you are working and have the remote button in your hand.

Amazingly, the OP (Bigjohnson) up in the very first post didn't ask for anything like a "way-handier, remote starter cable"! He asked a VERY simple question. MOST guys came back with VERY simple answers. But you guys are right about one thing. For the 'few' non-thinking morons that MAY be out there among us, or even for the innocent, inexperienced wannabe 'old-car guy' in general, he might just think how much handier this remote starter cable would be to test and listen to his starter while laying on the ground right underneath it, without having to go to all the trouble of getting up from under the car to go push that firewall-mounted solenoid button. God forbid the young guy pushes that 'handy, remote start button' BEFORE REMEMBERING TO PLACE THE TRANS IN NEUTRAL.

DD

cas3 09-04-2020 12:35 AM

my view is, in the early stages of building a car from ground up, you will use that manual button a lot. after the car is a done deal and bugs are gone, maybe not so much. heck, most times the seat is one of the last things in, so isn't it easier to push a button under the hood?, and ya gotta buy one, so why not buy the one with the button?

Bigjohnson 09-04-2020 01:42 PM

Thanks for all the feed back I just wanted to know where to get one thanks agin

Alaska Jim 09-04-2020 07:33 PM

Sorry I could not answer as to where you could find that type of solenoid.