The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NOS parts I will never use but keep . (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241271)

john charlton 03-22-2018 06:52 AM

NOS parts I will never use but keep .

I suppose I am not alone in that I have NOS parts which I will never use and I doubt if anyone else will ever do . I have 4 NOS AA bevel gear rear axle shafts . Brand new and still coated with thick cosmoline . My truck will never use them for sure but I keep them !!! Why do I this, am I alone in this irrational behavior ??? . I do have other parts which I or anyone else will never ever need but I keep them also . Cheer me up and tell me that you too are doing the same thing ,what do you have ???

John in cool cloudy morning Suffolk County England .

marty in Ohio 03-22-2018 07:19 AM

Re: NOS parts I will never use but keep .

John,
You probably have the same illness that most of us have. Is there a market for your extras? Shipping costs for those heavy metal pieces would be expensive but would be absorbed by the buyer. Are there many model A's in cool cloudy England?
Marty

SeaSlugs 03-22-2018 08:43 AM

I have some things im keeping for those what ifs but alot of it is finding homes. Gonna be many many miles to wear out an AA axle shaft so id let them go to a good home.

i have 2 spare transmissions, 4 generators, 3 starters, and will i ever need more than one spare of each? probably not. Im a sucker for a good deal is my problem.

BILL WILLIAMSON 03-22-2018 09:31 AM

"HOARDING" is common BEHAVIOR. I cook just for myself, but have BOWLS/POTS PANS/ETC, big enough to cook for an ARMY!
DON'T tell anyone, but one BIG Stainless mixing bowl is BIG enough to soak my FEET in!---ALSO good for simmering carb parts, in T.S.P.---
Bill Normal?

1930artdeco 03-22-2018 10:25 AM

To me at least, NOS parts are like little time machines. They show what the part is supposed to be made like (quality, specs, etc.). Not the cheap repos most are nowadays. Granted I understand economics of scale etc.

Mike

ursus 03-22-2018 11:08 AM

My experiences with poor quality repop parts turned me into a seeker of NOS parts. At some point, the seeker becomes more like a hoarder. My vice is NOS A and B ignition parts, transmission parts, and various other bits. I have finally come to grips with this malady, although it may have more to do with a lack of storage space than anything else.

Chris Haynes 03-22-2018 11:38 AM

A NOS part in the original box is art to be displayed. :-)

Binger 03-22-2018 11:48 AM

I never get rid of a usable part for a car I own. I Do have lots of A parts and do occasionally help out a fellow hobbyist if they need a part.

40 Deluxe 03-22-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1608097)
"HOARDING" is common BEHAVIOR. I cook just for myself, but have BOWLS/POTS PANS/ETC, big enough to cook for an ARMY!
DON'T tell anyone, but one BIG Stainless mixing bowl is BIG enough to soak my FEET in!---ALSO good for simmering carb parts, in T.S.P.---
Bill Normal?

Bill, it's not "hoarding", it's "saving" for future generations. Or for the "Picker" guys to show your stuff on TV! Really, if it weren't for the "savers", where would Cracker Barrel get all that old junk they hang in their restaurants?!

1928Mik 03-22-2018 12:14 PM

When I inherited my Dad's phaeton he had accumulated several NOS parts which I hate to get rid of. I like the looks of them hanging around in the garage. I may let them go to a good home---eventually...Like Binger says, to help out a fellow hobbyist.

rogerkb1936 03-22-2018 12:33 PM

john, your steering wheel is on the wrong side

CarlG 03-22-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerkb1936 (Post 1608199)

Define "wrong" :D

hardtimes 03-22-2018 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerkb1936 (Post 1608199)

Yeah, and your 'airplane' has a funny looking nose..ha !

Wick 03-22-2018 01:08 PM

The nos parts that I tend to find are brake and steering parts. BUT then the gas tank and pr.of frame rails were a freak thing. Tank is long gone now. NICE to look at the stuff.

SeaSlugs 03-22-2018 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Binger (Post 1608179)
I never get rid of a usable part for a car I own. I Do have lots of A parts and do occasionally help out a fellow hobbyist if they need a part.

Also guilty - change out O2 sensors on moderns as with time they get sluggish and poor sensing generally causing rich mixture (aka gas milleage drop) - still work so hard for me to chuck em. Same with Ok but high mileage rotors, caps, any sensor i replace trying to solve a problem, etc.

Need to start thinking in terms of everything that takes up physical space that space has value. if the valuable space is worth more than the parts time to go.

BILL WILLIAMSON 03-22-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Haynes (Post 1608171)
A NOS part in the original box is art to be displayed. :-)

Chris,
Should I display my 4, EMPTY computer boxes, in my LIVING ROOM?
I was able to get rid of the 4 OLD COMPUTERS/PRINTERS/SCANNERS/AND A MESS OF OLD STUFF! I "think" my house is getting a SLIGHT ECHO???---Must be time to STOP.
Bill Empty

Gary Karr 03-22-2018 02:58 PM

We all love NOS pieces. I like to collect rubber parts such as hoses, door check straps, and grommets. I also collect hub caps and valve stems. I am happy to get these parts into the hands of fine point restorers.

john charlton 03-22-2018 03:53 PM

Hi Roger

To make matters worse my pedals are on the wrong side also !!!

John in same place same weather .

Synchro909 03-22-2018 06:20 PM

John's steering wheel is on the "right" side, that's why cars like that are called RIGHT HAND DRIVE.;)

BILL WILLIAMSON 03-22-2018 07:07 PM

After my post #16, there is a BIG,OPEN, BLANK SPACE!!!--Is something SPOOKY going on?---Should I be worried????
Bill Freakedout