The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285959)

fred93 08-21-2020 01:53 PM

Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

I am trying to find someone that sells the Penrite steering box lube in the US. All that I find is in Great Britain or Australia and they want outrageous shipping fees.

Please help!

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-21-2020 01:54 PM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred93 (Post 1922519)
I am trying to find someone that sells the Penrite steering box lube in the US. All that I find is in Great Britain or Australia and they want outrageous shipping fees.

Please help!

https://restorationstuff.com/

1930-Pickup 08-21-2020 02:00 PM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

Brent solved your problem.

I went the route of Penrite many years ago.

For my steering box, I now use a grease with a NLGI rating of 00.
00 rated grease just barely flows at room temperature.
You can buy it on-line (amazon), and tractor supply shops, and some auto parts shops.
Its much cheaper.
It doesn't leak out.
Its super easy to go straight from the bottle's pour spout into the steering box.

fred93 08-21-2020 05:52 PM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

Thanks for the replies.

Doug Linden 08-21-2020 08:13 PM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

Ariens snowblowers use the same Semi-liquid grease (NGLI-00) for their auger gears. How ever anything from Ariens is a little expensive. I think the squeeze tube was $14.00.

Cape Codder 08-21-2020 09:16 PM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

I just read an article in the Model A News Tech Questions & Answers which talked about John Deere grease for "corn head" gear boxes. It was written that this grease is NGLI-0. What is the difference between the "corn Head" grease with the -0 and what is talked about above with the -00?

steve smith 08-21-2020 09:46 PM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

Not sure how many "0's" are involved but I have been using for years in my 6 ft rotary mower, my A's steering boxes and I mix 50% corn head with 50% stp for transmissions and diffs. They stock plenty at the local John Deere store. Comes in tubes like caulk, very easy to use. I think it was about 9 bucks a tube.

1930-Pickup 08-21-2020 10:17 PM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cape Codder (Post 1922661)
I just read an article in the Model A News Tech Questions & Answers which talked about John Deere grease for "corn head" gear boxes. It was written that this grease is NGLI-0. What is the difference between the "corn Head" grease with the -0 and what is talked about above with the -00?

NLGI 0 grease will flow, but it requires a higher temperature to do so. People use the JD corn grease for the Model A u-joint.

NLGI 00 grease will flow (barely) at room temperature. This makes it a good fit for the steering box. You can use the 0 grease in the steering box also, but its hard to get it in there, and to know when its filled.

1930-Pickup 08-21-2020 10:26 PM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve smith (Post 1922670)
Not sure how many "0's" are involved but I have been using for years in my 6 ft rotary mower, my A's steering boxes and I mix 50% corn head with 50% stp for transmissions and diffs. They stock plenty at the local John Deere store. Comes in tubes like caulk, very easy to use. I think it was about 9 bucks a tube.

No "0"s are involved, because the standardized National Lubricating Grease Institute (NLGI) does not rate "home brewed mixes".

On a more serious note:
Only a few months ago, maybe late last year, the Deere Corn grease was not to be found anywhere. Prices went though the roof. I saw a single grease gun cartridge selling for over 40.00 on eBay (ePay). I'm not sure why the product just disappeared for several months, but who's to say it wont happen again. So stock up, or find alternatives.

M2M 08-21-2020 10:46 PM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred93 (Post 1922519)
I am trying to find someone that sells the Penrite steering box lube in the US. All that I find is in Great Britain or Australia and they want outrageous shipping fees.

Please help!




The Penrite is 00 grease, don't let them suck you into thinking their "lube" is anything specially made for vintage cars...that's just a marketing scam.

1930-Pickup 08-21-2020 10:49 PM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2M (Post 1922690)
The Penrite is 00 grease, don't let them suck you into thinking their "lube" is anything specially made for vintage cars...that's just a marketing scam.

Exactly right

1930-Pickup 08-21-2020 10:53 PM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

1 Attachment(s)
For those who are unfamiliar with the NLGI rating system, here is where '00' grease fits in.

updraught 08-21-2020 10:59 PM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2M (Post 1922690)
The Penrite is 00 grease, don't let them suck you into thinking their "lube" is anything specially made for vintage cars...that's just a marketing scam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLGI_consistency_number

So you are better off with cooking oil even if it leaks out?

"A true grease consists of an oil and/or other fluid lubricant that is mixed with a thickener, typically a soap, to form a solid or semisolid. Greases are a type of shear-thinning or pseudo-plastic fluid, which means that the viscosity of the fluid is reduced under shear. After sufficient force to shear the grease has been applied, the viscosity drops and approaches that of the base lubricant, such as the mineral oil."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grease_(lubricant)

alexiskai 08-21-2020 11:04 PM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

The Tractor Supply 00 grease being discussed is this one here. More discussion and pictures in this thread.

M2M 08-21-2020 11:55 PM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by updraught (Post 1922695)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLGI_consistency_number

So you are better off with cooking oil even if it leaks out?

"A true grease consists of an oil and/or other fluid lubricant that is mixed with a thickener, typically a soap, to form a solid or semisolid. Greases are a type of shear-thinning or pseudo-plastic fluid, which means that the viscosity of the fluid is reduced under shear. After sufficient force to shear the grease has been applied, the viscosity drops and approaches that of the base lubricant, such as the mineral oil."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grease_(lubricant)



Your mates at Australian owned Penrite suggest using it. They even put a fancy drawing of an old car on their 00 grease which they call "lube" to make you feel better about your purchase.



https://onlinestore.mrautoaustralia....45-500x500.png

updraught 08-22-2020 03:37 AM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2M (Post 1922708)

Your mates at Australian owned Penrite suggest using it. They even put a fancy drawing of an old car on their 00 grease which they call "lube" to make you feel better about your purchase.

So what's the problem with it?
Or is the grammar not up to scratch?

1931 flamingo 08-22-2020 06:38 AM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

Regardless of the graphics or supplier, IT WORKS.
Paul in CT

old31 08-22-2020 06:46 AM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

I am using regular red grease on my torque tube and grease fittings.

Do you think Penrite would be better for the torque tube?

McMimmcs 08-22-2020 03:18 PM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1922739)
Regardless of the graphics or supplier, IT WORKS.
Paul in CT

Common sense prevails. Who cares about the graphics if it works! Besides that I like the old car photo !

M2M 08-22-2020 05:23 PM

Re: Looking for seller of Penrite steering box lube
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by updraught (Post 1922729)
So what's the problem with it?
Or is the grammar not up to scratch?

Product is good BUT it is overpriced and they are marketing it as a "lube" to suck people into thinking it's a specifically made product for vintage cars. It's 00 grease nothing special to warrant the price they ask.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1922739)
Regardless of the graphics or supplier, IT WORKS.
Paul in CT

Of course it works, it's 00 grease. Go to a Tractor Supply store and buy it there. Why buy imported Australian grease? Because of the picture? Or are USA manufacturers too corrupt or stupid to produce a quality grease? Anyone in the USA buying this must have very little faith in their own country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 1922901)
Common sense prevails. Who cares about the graphics if it works! Besides that I like the old car photo !

Paying a high end price for imported grease is NOT common sense. That sounds like a sucker to me. BUY MADE IN USA!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.