The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Change timing gear easy way? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103605)

josh1331 04-17-2013 11:25 AM

Change timing gear easy way?

How is it done easy and what is best type to buy from whom?

johnbuckley 04-17-2013 11:43 AM

Re: Change timing gear easy way?

Follow Les Andrews book. (it also helps if you mark the correct teeth to mesh in white highlighter). I've sent you an email of an article I wrote a year ago for our local clubs in UK and Australia.

Tom Wesenberg 04-17-2013 11:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by josh1331 (Post 634231)
How is it done easy and what is best type to buy from whom?

You'll need to lift the front of the engine a little to remove the front motor mount and timing gear cover. I then keep the gears from turning by placing a rag between the crank and cam gears. I then use the special nut socket to remove the cam nut. Here's a picture of a tool I made to fit the cam nut. The dealers also sell a good tool to do the job.

Tom Wesenberg 04-17-2013 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the timing marks. Some books give wrong information on the timing marks and they might have you set it one tooth off. As the picture shows, the cam gear dot lines up with the crank gear tooth directly above the RIGHT side of the keyway.

Be sure to put some grease on the cam gear plunger, and I also grease the gears so they don't start off dry.

H. L. Chauvin 04-17-2013 01:18 PM

With engine remaining in car, & not removing radiator, just installed an aluminum timing gear manufactured by Mr. Dan McEachern.

To insure engine remaining in a fixed position, used a Model A screw jack, (as opposed to hydraulic jack), with wood block on top to avoid denting oil pan or scratching oil pan paint.

Also used same methods explained by Tom in reply #3 & #4 above.

Used a 1/2" socket w/plastic screwdriver handle, turned with pliers, to remove the front oil pan bolts. Broke off plastic handle so it would fit in this tight space & could clear the tie rod below.

Small mirror helps to see timing marks.

Tiny 04-17-2013 02:18 PM

It's funny you should ask this today. Well not funny haha but the " timing "of it :). I just watched the Diablo A's video on how do do this this morning. I was just brushing up on knowledge. The how to videos that club produces are very informative and I would say go right along with the Les Andrews books well. I'm not a member of their club just think they make helpful videos.

Randini509 06-20-2013 11:41 AM

I understand the timing marks line up on the gear with the dimple and "0", but my question is my new timing gear can only be put on one way right? The top and bottom hole look to be offset. This is my first model a and i just want to be 100% before i put the timing gear on. Its been a real chore to get the old one off since the fiber gear that was on there completly came off the inside middle of the gear....

700rpm 06-20-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randini509 (Post 674105)
I understand the timing marks line up on the gear with the dimple and "0", but my question is my new timing gear can only be put on one way right? The top and bottom hole look to be offset. This is my first model a and i just want to be 100% before i put the timing gear on. Its been a real chore to get the old one off since the fiber gear that was on there completly came off the inside middle of the gear....

The gear can only be put on one way on the camshaft. Make sure your indents line up on the two gears and you're good.

Randini509 06-20-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 700rpm (Post 674111)
The gear can only be put on one way on the camshaft. Make sure your indents line up on the two gears and you're good.

Good deal, Thank you. :)

Tom Wesenberg 06-20-2013 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Be sure the cam gear is NOT a 2 piece, like you old one.
Make sure the cam gear dimple lines up with the right side edge of the keyway, as this picture shows.

Randini509 06-20-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 674147)
Be sure the cam gear is NOT a 2 piece, like you old one.
Make sure the cam gear dimple lines up with the right side edge of the keyway, as this picture shows.

It is not a 2 piece, its a billet one piece. And i will pull the crank pulley off so i can see if the keyway is aligned as shown. Thanks again

Patrick L. 06-20-2013 01:20 PM

And i will pull the crank pulley off so i can see if the keyway is aligned as shown. Thanks again
end quote

I'm not sure that you really want to pull the crank gear, its a real job. It does not have to come off to change just the cam gear.

Mike V. Florida 06-20-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 634266)
Here's a picture of the timing marks. Some books give wrong information on the timing marks and they might have you set it one tooth off. As the picture shows, the cam gear dot lines up with the crank gear tooth directly above the RIGHT side of the keyway.

Be sure to put some grease on the cam gear plunger, and I also grease the gears so they don't start off dry.

Here is the thing about one tooth off, as the timing gear is not cut straight across you cannot line up the marks and push the gear on so they line up. You have to set the gear so it looks a tooth or two off counterclockwise (I can't remember right now) and as the teeth mesh the cam gear will turn clockwise lining up the marks.

Even if you have no idea what I just wrote when you are done the marks must line up like in Tom's picture.

Randini509 06-20-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 674178)
And i will pull the crank pulley off so i can see if the keyway is aligned as shown. Thanks again
end quote

I'm not sure that you really want to pull the crank gear, its a real job. It does not have to come off to change just the cam gear.

Im not planning on taking the crank gear off, but between it and the nut a round piece of metal just big enough to cover the gear all the way around so i cant see the mark on the crankshaft timing gear.

Patrick L. 06-20-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L.
end quote

Im not planning on taking the crank gear off, but between it and the nut a round piece of metal just big enough to cover the gear all the way around so i cant see the mark on the crankshaft timing gear.
end quote

Well, OK, I guess. Doesn't make any sense to me, but, thats OK.

Randini509 06-20-2013 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See that keyed circular piece of metal laying above the cranksahft, that's what im talking about, its just big enough to cover the "0" mark. Guess i could just go off the tooth just to the right of the key and hope thats it...

700rpm 06-20-2013 03:31 PM

Randini509: Where are you in Washington? There are a LOT of Model A guys in WA who would be glad to come over and advise you during installation. If you're in Vancouver, I'll cross the river and give a hand.

Randini509 06-20-2013 03:37 PM

Im actually located in Spokane, and i have had alot of help from a local shop here that sells model T, model A, and lots of other old replacement parts. Its Called "Antique Auto Ranch" They are a great shop.

James Rogers 06-20-2013 04:30 PM

Just pull the pulley and the slinger and install the gear. It is hard to see the mark on the crank gear with the slinger in place.

Randini509 06-20-2013 09:08 PM

Well what I did was turn the crank until I saw the key, and stuck a small screwdriver between the slinger and gear, I can see the zero on the tooth :-) problem solved :D