The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Flathead water pumps (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253918)

Sid 10-29-2018 10:59 AM

Flathead water pumps

What is the feedback on the new after market water pumps on the market as compared to rebuilding an original? Are they off shore made? Do they circulate better? And do they last or is it better to rebuild originals?

estout81 10-29-2018 11:17 AM

Re: Flathead water pumps

I'm using Dennis Carpenter pumps on the truck in my avatar. They seem to work fine. Been on there over five years and close to 10K miles. Carpenter claims they make them.

19Fordy 10-29-2018 11:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I had Skip rebuild mine. Very fair price including improved spiral impellers.
No problems. Come with gaskets. If you're going to paint them yourself a specific engine color ask Skip to sand blast them but not paint them. Makes your painting job easier as you don't have to worry about your paint being incompatible with his cast iron finish. I used Bill Hirsch engine paint.Great product. Brushes on nice and flows out smooth.

JM 35 Sedan 10-29-2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estout81 (Post 1690611)
I'm using Dennis Carpenter pumps on the truck in my avatar. They seem to work fine. Been on there over five years and close to 10K miles. Carpenter claims they make them.

We talked to Dennis Carpenter during a tour of his facilities in 2015, EFV-8 Clubs ENM at Charlotte, NC. He told us at that time his water pumps are being sourced from off shore.

Tim Ayers 10-29-2018 12:08 PM

I have a pair of Skip's pumps that I plan to use. I've also purchased pumps from my local NAPA. Each time they've been made in the USA and come in around $60.00. Just an FYI...

G.M. 10-30-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 1690636)
I have a pair of Skip's pumps that I plan to use. I've also purchased pumps from my local NAPA. Each time they've been made in the USA and come in around $60.00. Just an FYI...

The only problem is Skips pumps push almost twice the
amount of coolant through the system resulting in much
better cooling as reported on this forum by users. G.M.

Tinker 10-30-2018 10:43 PM

Skip did a few pumps for me. He back 8yrs ago asked his new impellers or stock. I went stock. His are rebuilds are decent and fair. A bought a bad batch of speedways that are leaking almost immediately. Not a speedway bash, I'm a very much a speedy bill fan.

koates 10-31-2018 03:37 AM

Sid, I guess you are talking about the early 33 to 36 pumps that bolt onto the head. I have fitted three pairs of these to a 34 and two 36 Fords and they are working very well after three years. They cool much better, at least 10 deg F lower. The improved impellers with closer tolerances shift more water for sure. They have sealed bearings (not bushes) with modern seals and no greasers fitted. I am pretty sure they are all made in China regardless of who you buy them from. Skip Haney can rebuild these originals but you still end up with your old original body castings. Regards, Kevin.

Sid 10-31-2018 09:33 AM

It's the later pumps on an a 59AB. The pumps are not leaking at this time but the car has sat for many years. The lower hoses were literally rotten on the inside like melted rubber. Installing aluminum heads and thinking now may be the time to take care of the pumps. The seals in the pumps may start leaking once used in the spring due to sitting or age.

19Fordy 10-31-2018 09:43 AM

Sid, you may find that after a little use the seals will swell up and not leak.

philipswanson 10-31-2018 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estout81 (Post 1690611)

Carpenter doesn't make anything.

TomT/Williamsburg 10-31-2018 04:13 PM

I have had a set of Speedway new sealed bearing pumps on my avatar for 9 years now? I have gone about 50k+ miles since then - no problems. Am I lucky? Probably ....

42guy 10-31-2018 04:39 PM

I also have the Speedway pumps and been in use at least 10 yrs. maybe more. Can't remember. No problems.

Kilroy 04-18-2019 10:02 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I figured if I started a new one, guys would just be asking if I searched... This at least proves I did... :D

I was wondering if anyone had any problems with bad castings on the Speedway pumps... I just got a set, and when I put them on, they just felt weird when I started tightening up the bolts (Speedways Stainless)...
They wouldn't torque, felt 'soft' etc... I walked up to 30lbs but on one side one of the ears broke off at 25lbs and the other had cracks. When I checked the other side, one of the ears on that side had a hairline crack too.
First clue something wasn't working right was the gaskets were blowing out around the bolt holes...
Speedway says they'll send me new ones after they look at mine, so I'm not trying to 'build a case' or anything, I'm just really curious...

The broken bit looked really porous too... Like pot-metal. So I was just wondering if this was a known thing or not?

Dave Castle 04-18-2019 10:08 PM

I put a set of Speedway pumps on my 59A, no issues whatsoever.

Dave Castle 04-18-2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipswanson (Post 1691293)
Carpenter doesn't make anything.

They make "money" on us !!

cas3 04-18-2019 10:33 PM

kilroy, i agree, link em together for the next guy...i git skips pumps

Kilroy 04-18-2019 11:58 PM

Honestly, I forgot about Skip... Or rather, I thought he wasn't doing pumps anymore, or I would have.

RalphG 04-19-2019 01:29 AM

I got my new pumps for the 52 Merc from Napa Canada. Been almost 4 years now and I have no complaints on them.

Tinker 04-19-2019 01:51 AM

I looked at my previous post. Had one pump that leaked from speedway, bearing issue they fixed later. No problems with casing. Skip is still a goto.