The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gordon Smith question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23857)

old splicer 12-23-2010 12:46 AM

Gordon Smith question

Is there anything else besides the standard Model A headstuds that retain the head to the block? Back half of head has pulled up a little but the front half is rock solid and I'm afraid if I use my head puller it will brake the head in the middle. The motor is stuck and its been on an acetone and ATF soak for a week

Peter J 12-23-2010 01:29 AM

Re: Gordon Smith question

How about the gooseneck to the radiator nuts? You should be able to work a couple of large screwdrivers up each side towards the front. Or just let it soak some more would be the safest.
Pete

Frank Miller 12-23-2010 09:00 AM

Just the studs but the two piece construction may make a weak point in the middle. To separate the two pieces there are two 5/16 bolts that go up from underneath on the water inlet side of the block.

Tom Wesenberg 12-23-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old splicer (Post 131174)
Is there anything else besides the standard Model A headstuds that retain the head to the block? Back half of head has pulled up a little but the front half is rock solid and I'm afraid if I use my head puller it will brake the head in the middle. The motor is stuck and its been on an acetone and ATF soak for a week

I've had the same problem on some heads. I lay the sharp edge of a large knife against the middle of the head gasket, then tap it in with a hammer. I usuall start at the front corner of the head, then use a second knife on the other corner. If the head is stuck tight all the way around then do the same on the rear corners. You could also buy 4 butter knives at a second hand store and sharpen the edge, and use them instead of your wifes good knives.

Once the head starts lifting then double up on the knife or use a broad thin wood chisel to keep working the head up.

Using a narrow tool, like a screwdrive or chisel, can casue damage to the head, unless it's already fairly loose.

Jim Brierley 12-23-2010 11:30 AM

There are 14 head studs, be sure you have loosened all of them.

old splicer 12-24-2010 01:15 AM

Got all 14 nuts sitting on the bench, undid the two bolts above the water inlet and removed center section of the head. Took a chipping knife and inserted all the way around the perimeter into the gasket with no resistance until the front half of the head. at that point it feels like the head is still bolted on. Made up an adaper out of a spark plug and used a slide hammer to try to pop it up, great work out. but no movement. I'm begining to favor a cap and a little C4. might unfreeze the motor too!

sturgis 39 12-24-2010 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old splicer (Post 131747)
Got all 14 nuts sitting on the bench, undid the two bolts above the water inlet and removed center section of the head. Took a chipping knife and inserted all the way around the perimeter into the gasket with no resistance until the front half of the head. at that point it feels like the head is still bolted on. Made up an adaper out of a spark plug and used a slide hammer to try to pop it up, great work out. but no movement. I'm begining to favor a cap and a little C4. might unfreeze the motor too!

Be sure to use delayed caps and use the original firing order of the engine.:)

afordman 12-25-2010 09:50 PM

A tip my an old mec showed me once-- Remove the spark plugs, thread a length of rope into the cylinder (with the piston appx.1/2 way up) and turn the crank with the hand crank. the force of the piston pushing on the rope will usually get things moving. the ATF and Acetone mix IS the best penetrating fluid!!Cheaper and better than any over the counter available!