The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Spreading a Reversed Rear 32 Spring (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272646)

Ian1932 11-14-2019 07:37 PM

Spreading a Reversed Rear 32 Spring

9 Attachment(s)
Not sure how others do this but it worked out pretty well...I did have straps in case something kicked but i removed them before i took pics.

Bored&Stroked 11-14-2019 08:26 PM

Re: Spreading a Reversed Rear 32 Spring

I did mine by putting the main leaf on first (by itself), then adding all the other leaves and cranking them down with a long bolt in the middle, with a bunch of C-clamps. It was not dangerous, but was a pain in the butt. The problem is that with the curved shape, the leaves want to kick-off the centerline (as I couldn't put the U-clamps in place until it was all compressed. Was a lot of screwing around with some large structural C-clamps (not your normal backyard stuff).

I think I'll make a special spring device that is designed for these goofy dang 32 - 34 springs!

paul2748 11-14-2019 08:30 PM

I also put on springs by just installing the main leaf first and then adding the other leaves with a long bolt. Wasn't hard at all. Regular C clamps worked for me.

qmdv 11-14-2019 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian1932 (Post 1821288)
Not sure how others do this but it worked out pretty well...I did have straps in case something kicked but i removed them before i took pics.

I was impressed that you used stainless unistrut.

Ian1932 11-15-2019 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 1821302)
I did mine by putting the main leaf on first (by itself), then adding all the other leaves and cranking them down with a long bolt in the middle, with a bunch of C-clamps. It was not dangerous, but was a pain in the butt. The problem is that with the curved shape, the leaves want to kick-off the centerline (as I couldn't put the U-clamps in place until it was all compressed. Was a lot of screwing around with some large structural C-clamps (not your normal backyard stuff).

I think I'll make a special spring device that is designed for these goofy dang 32 - 34 springs!

I tried that first...Man...Its was tough trying it that way. Not sure what is was doing wrong? They twisted and moved all over the place. Slip plate i put on didnt help im sure. When i got in compressed they then shifted around so bad i couldnt get the bolt out to put the correct on in. I was beating on the bolt so hard the pack started twist and shift. I gave up, lol. I have a bunch of giant c-clamps also. It just seemed the surface was on and angle and beating on it was moving them to the point i would never get the correct bolt back into the stacked up holes....

Ian1932 11-15-2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qmdv (Post 1821309)
I was impressed that you used stainless unistrut.

lol, not stainless just plated...Everyone knows uni strut has a billion purposes...LOL

Fourspd2quad 11-15-2019 08:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is what I came up with to spread my reverse eyed spring. A couple of pieces of c-channel and two bolts per side on the bottom side of the spring. The bolt closest to the eye traps the channel from moving and the other bolt is what I push against with my homemade spreader. It works pretty slick, is safe and was easy to make.

Bored&Stroked 11-15-2019 08:46 AM

If you've never worked with a curved 32-34 spring - trust me - it is WAY different than dealing with any straight/normal spring of any shape. No comparison when it comes to assembly work!

As Ian noted, when you take them apart, and just try to lay them back together - you have the various leaves going all over the place. It is terribly frustrating to say the least. Then - try to do all of that while you're also trying to compress the spring (because you have the main leaf already mounted) - you will have one heck of a battle on your hands! To make maters even worse, take a Posies "super slide" spring with all the cute little plastic "pucks" that don't even snap-in and stay where they're supposed too, then power coat the leaves - try putting one of those together without some special "jig" - nightmare boys . . . a nightmare!

Truthfully, I wish Henry had never made this spring - but, we have to live with it! LOL

Ian1932 11-15-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 1821381)
If you've never worked with a curved 32-34 spring - trust me - it is WAY different than dealing with any straight/normal spring of any shape. No comparison when it comes to assembly work!

As Ian noted, when you take them apart, and just try to lay them back together - you have the various leaves going all over the place. It is terribly frustrating to say the least. Then - try to do all of that while you're also trying to compress the spring (because you have the main leaf already mounted) - you will have one heck of a battle on your hands! To make maters even worse, take a Posies "super slide" spring with all the cute little plastic "pucks" that don't even snap-in and stay where they're supposed too, then power coat the leaves - try putting one of those together without some special "jig" - nightmare boys . . . a nightmare!

Truthfully, I wish Henry had never made this spring - but, we have to live with it! LOL

Lol, i covered the leaves in slip plate...It was like stacking ice cubes, lol...

Old Redneck 11-15-2019 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just made a spring sprayer so I can change the front and rear spring on my 32. I had one like this that I use on Model A's Manny times. I will tie the springs so they can't fly up and kill me. e will see how this works.

Ian1932 11-15-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Redneck (Post 1821393)
I just made a spring sprayer so I can change the front and rear spring on my 32. I had one like this that I use on Model A's Manny times. I will tie the springs so they can't fly up and kill me. e will see how this works.

Nice work! I found the front spring if you build the pack first, and span a chunk of 2x4 slightly shorter than the first leaf, on its underside, one c-clamp will spread it with ease. I think it would be easier on your paint job. I kinda messed up the paint on my rear spring with all the failed experimenting i did. I even nicked the backing plate on one side with clamps falling and frustration. Your spreader tool looks nice and solid! I love seeing everyone's ideas they come up with on this site...I have learned a lot!

V8COOPMAN 11-15-2019 09:50 AM

It doesn't get a whole lot simpler than two pieces of angle bolted together over each end of the main leaf to form two pockets for the spreader to fit into. DD

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...3-jpg.3300981/

Old Redneck 11-15-2019 10:07 AM

When I put the short piece 2/4 under the spring to slide on I grease the 2/4 on top to slide on. Its helps a good bit.

Ian1932 11-15-2019 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1821410)
It doesn't get a whole lot simpler than two pieces of angle bolted together over each end of the main leaf to form two pockets for the spreader to fit into. DD

I basically did the same thing but used uni-strut. My shackle plates/caps stick out further that the eye of the spring so i used a smaller pc of uni-strut just so that they would clear the uni-strut (angle) in your case.

19Fordy 11-15-2019 12:05 PM

Looks to me like there are a lot of very ingenious folks in The Barn.
Thanks for sharing excellent ideas.

V8COOPMAN 11-15-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1821457)
Looks to me like there are a lot of very ingenious folks in The Barn.
Thanks for sharing excellent ideas.

You know, you ain't been no slouch when it comes to ideas, Jim! DD

Old Redneck 11-15-2019 02:09 PM

We all was not born in a barn you know!

Bored&Stroked 11-15-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Redneck (Post 1821491)
We all was not born in a barn you know!

I was born a month early . . . and backwards . . . been working away like that ever since . . . except now I'm always more than a month late! :D

Bored&Stroked 11-15-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1821410)

This is what I was going to make . . . before I decided to "save time" . . . well you know how that usually goes! LOL