The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Frame straightening (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211340)

Res731 12-23-2016 08:06 AM

Frame straightening

My Tudor frame was off by about quarter inch on drivers side. I tried the heat method with success. The most difficult part was figuring out how hot to get the metal and where to heat. My first attempts were not heating enough and I had no movement. Once I applied more heat I started seeing results. I also had to try different locations and ended up heating behind the front motor mount and just behind the center rail to get the final adjustments.

It worked well for me in the end.

Rudy

BRENT in 10-uh-C 12-23-2016 08:52 AM

Re: Frame straightening

Well good for you Rudy. With regard on how hot to heat the metal, like they always say, 'Experience is something you get after you need it!'. Now you have experience for next time. :D

BILL WILLIAMSON 12-23-2016 10:08 AM

I "think" many underestimate SHRINKING. Search Brents' previous posts about it. SHRINKING just puts the metal back to where it WAS!!
Bill Hot

Terry, NJ 12-23-2016 10:21 AM

I am convinced that the heat method is the way to go however, I've not been too successful with it. I've had marginal success with it but I'm afraid of heating the frame too much. Having been a welder, I know what heat is capable of as far as moving metal. How much heat did you use? Color? Did you heat the web of the frame or just the bottom flange? When I tried it I jacked the car up at a point just behind the point where I was applied the heat to get whatever benefits could be had from the weight of the engine. I know I'm doing something wrong but I'm not sure what.
Terry

Bob C 12-23-2016 12:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures Brent posted of frame straightening.

Bob

3.6rs 12-23-2016 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Res731 (Post 1403446)
My Tudor frame was off by about quarter inch on drivers side. ...

Inside, outside, ... ,
Where did you heat ?...
A picture says more then 1000 words.

CarlG 12-23-2016 01:33 PM

Can you do this with a completely assembled vehicle, or do you need it down to the bare frame as noted in the pictures (post #5)

JohnLaVoy 12-23-2016 01:42 PM

It is against the law to heat the frame to straighten it in California. The heat tends to weaken the frame and could allow it to crack.

wrndln 12-23-2016 01:55 PM

It seems like EVERYTHING is against the law in California!
Rusty Nelson

H. L. Chauvin 12-23-2016 02:30 PM

FWIW:

One of the old former Restorer Magazines had an article on straightening Model A frames cold with a jack and chains. Bends caused by rough rides usually occur near rear motor mounts.

Bending this metal chassis cold appeared logical to me because the frame was bent from being pounded on rough roads when the metal was cold .......... saw no reason why it could not be bent back, (straightened) when the metal was cold.

Followed written details somewhat & straightened mine this way about 20 years ago.

Used old horse drawn trace chain and an old heavy 15 Ton railroad jack. In about 20 minutes of set up time, jacking, and checking alignment, this straightening operation was all over.

Just looked it up ..... if interested, this article is in the 1975 Volume 2, "How to Restore Your Model A", by Mr. Bob Rentz.

Bill Wright 12-23-2016 08:02 PM

Everything in Calfabulous the State of Shock is illegal.

Al 29Tudor 12-23-2016 08:22 PM

So much is illegal they have just about stopped progress

Res731 12-23-2016 08:29 PM

I heated the outside bend on the bottom. Not cherry red but hot enough that the primer was smoking and I got sizzle sound when applying water. I tried to heat to 400 deg at first when measured with infrared and that didn't do anything. I didn't measure the hotter version but I'm guessing more like 800 deg. I definitely did not have to get a color change.

Res731 12-23-2016 08:32 PM

As for picture it was pretty much how Brent showed above. Outside Bottom edge

On one try I actually got a larger sag during the heating and I thought I had screwed it up. But as I applied the cooling it shrunk the metal and reduced to a smaller gap.

Res731 12-23-2016 08:34 PM

Carl g. My frame is currently completely disassembled. I'm no sure I would want to try this with everything in place

Res731 12-23-2016 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 298628 here is one image I also tried to heat a small inverted v in a couple places as I read some comments this also helps.

Terry, NJ 12-23-2016 09:56 PM

Res, Thanks! I will try it again with a little more heat this time.
Terry

Mike V. Florida 12-24-2016 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy (Post 1403617)
It is against the law to heat the frame to straighten it in California. The heat tends to weaken the frame and could allow it to crack.

If you are heating it to a point where it weakens the frame you heated it too much.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 12-24-2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrndln (Post 1403625)
Rusty Nelson

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1403942)
If you are heating it to a point where it weakens the frame you heated it too much.

There is an underlying problem in much of this. It often seems like 'common sense' is not all that common, --and sometimes the person that lacks wisdom AND common sense together can be dangerous. I kid you not, I answered the phone the other day with a guy asking me which way to turn the spark plugs to remove them. He is/was getting a Model-A ready for the Christmas parade, and was going to tune-up the engine and adjust the brakes. In all seriousness, how do you advise someone like this, --AND to what extent do you go? :eek:

BILL WILLIAMSON 12-24-2016 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrndln (Post 1403625)
Rusty Nelson

HEY, watch it, Wrndln,
Laws in Kalifornia are designed to "PROTECT US FROM THE IDIOTS & TO PROTECT THEM, FROM THEMSELVES":D
Bill Offended