The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1939 Pickup Front Fender Welting Question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282380)

GaryU. 06-10-2020 05:00 PM

1939 Pickup Front Fender Welting Question

4 Attachment(s)
So after a VERY long time in my '39 pickup resurrection I have come to the point where I can actually install the fenders (or so I think) but that also leaves some questions about the front fender welting. What I think is correct is welting at the cab area and the grill sides as well as on top of the grill sides. What I suspect is this is similar to a '37 and '38 passenger car where the hood sides are removable for servicing but does the welt stop at points or continue all the way across the entire front fender? I do know there was anti-squeak between the inner fender and the fender itself which I have installed so how about that welting. Thanks, GaryU.

39portlander 06-10-2020 05:28 PM

Re: 1939 Pickup Front Fender Welting Question

3 Attachment(s)
Gary, great job on that truck, the grill is perfect. Here are a few pictures of my welting and fenders. I installed these with out the hood sides and believe those hood sides will just rest on the U shaped supports that mount against the inner fender.

If you need more picture I can post them, the front fender bolt kit I got several years ago and think I ordered them from Wescotts when I ordered my fenders.

39portlander 06-10-2020 06:01 PM

6 Attachment(s)
some better pictures of the welting and mounting of the inner fender, passenger then driver side.

Tinker 06-10-2020 11:03 PM

Yes. hood sides off the grill surround had padding also riveted in. Cab had bumpers to hood sides.

GaryU. 06-12-2020 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for your responses. The pictures and a phone conversation with a Barner have me headed in the right direction. My confusion came because the original fenders were taken off around 1982 with no pictures how they went together. I have a very "scrappy" extra pair of fenders that were still together with the inners still attached opposite of how they should go together. Look at that home made extra brace!

\

Tinker 06-12-2020 09:48 PM

Most of these trucks that worked on a farm received patches to structure. Not sure that one helped muchbut, its not uncommon to find a 30-40s truck with a strap arc/gas welded to a outside rear fender to the bed. It worked just fine. Certainly not appealing to todays thinking, but functional then as it was an old work truck.

oldandtired 06-13-2020 06:12 AM

Do any of you have a source for the bumpers that go in the holes on the cab that the hood sides go up against? They are pictured in 39 Portlander's first post in the last picture.

39portlander 06-13-2020 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldandtired (Post 1898603)
Do any of you have a source for the bumpers that go in the holes on the cab that the hood sides go up against? They are pictured in 39 Portlander's first post in the last picture.

O & T got those in a hood bumper kit from Drakes, 38-39 standard/pickup 81A-16761.

I'll bet the good folks @ Early Ford V-8 sales in Piedmont might have that.

Thanks again for that 39 P/U windshield frame I got from you several years ago:D Scott

oldandtired 06-15-2020 04:54 AM

39 Portlander...Thanks for the information.

GaryU. 06-22-2020 06:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Made more progress this weekend. First time since 1982 that "Bessie" has had fenders and running boards installed. Now a question about the grill sides. My thinking is welting and anti-squeak but what order. There were rivets in place when this project started so will do the same. On a lighter note, I took her out a few weeks ago just a couple miles without hood, hood sides etc. and she hauls A--.

FlatheadTed 06-22-2020 07:33 PM

Beautiful Job Gary ,you Americans do a great job ,going the extra mile for a perfect result .Ted

Tinker 06-22-2020 07:48 PM

Looks really good. I usually don't like the two tone fenders and vehicle. But that shade of green works well. Nice work.

Kube 06-23-2020 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryU. (Post 1901890)
Made more progress this weekend. First time since 1982 that "Bessie" has had fenders and running boards installed. Now a question about the grill sides. My thinking is welting and anti-squeak but what order. There were rivets in place when this project started so will do the same. On a lighter note, I took her out a few weeks ago just a couple miles without hood, hood sides etc. and she hauls A--.

Man oh man, I like your truck :)

38bill 06-23-2020 11:21 AM

Really nice! What did you have to do to get the grill trim so straight and shiny?

GaryU. 06-23-2020 01:55 PM

Bill, I was fortunate in that the grill trim was intact although dented and bent. I spent hours getting it to an ok condition before I took it to a professional trim restorer that got it close to perfect. The shop is in Wautoma,Wisconsin and is called Vintage Vehicles. They work on very high end classic vehicles and have one person that works on trim in a dedicated building. It was quite expensive but it's only going to be done once. Kube, thanks for the kind words.

Kube 06-23-2020 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryU. (Post 1902144)
Bill, I was fortunate in that the grill trim was intact although dented and bent. I spent hours getting it to an ok condition before I took it to a professional trim restorer that got it close to perfect. The shop is in Wautoma,Wisconsin and is called Vintage Vehicles. They work on very high end classic vehicles and have one person that works on trim in a dedicated building. It was quite expensive but it's only going to be done once. Kube, thanks for the kind words.

Kind words? DESERVING words!

The guys in Wautoma are masters at their craft.
When I've been unable to repair stainless (read: nearly destroyed) they have rescued me - sending the piece(s) back as brand new condition.

A bones 06-24-2020 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1902151)

Kind words? DESERVING words!

Agreed!

39portlander 06-24-2020 05:57 PM

Gary more great pictures of the front, Kube is right on. I like the painted raised edges around the cab and hood. My 39 is Folkstone grey and will have those edges done in Red.

My grill side had no welting, I thought there was a rubber seal or outer shell seal riveted to the outside of the grill shell and will look up some older pictures. My grill is still in ruff shape and have not installed that yet. I like driving it as is.

When you brought up Wautoma a lot of memories for me. I was born in Milwaukee and grew up in Grafton. As a kid we spent a few weeks in the summer @ my Grandfathers camp in Mt Morris.

Those were the best days and remember the mornings listening to Paul Harvey with my Grandmother eating Kringle:D

revenski 07-15-2020 01:19 PM

Gary,
I definitely agree with everyone that you have one very nice looking truck. It's a really classy job. I remember the first time I took my '38 Tonner out. I HAD doors on the cab but no fenders, bed, hood, or running boards, and there was a temporary red plastic gas can for fuel. I also remember that getting the running boards on after the cab was already in place was no small task. Did yours go in any more easily?

cubflyer 09-24-2020 09:38 AM

I have a1938 working with 51 merc in it where did you get your radiator