The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Having trouble with high-boy air filter (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274995)

Conaway2 01-06-2020 05:49 PM

Having trouble with high-boy air filter

I just installed one of these on my Model A, running a Zenith-2 carburetor, and it keeps falling off, no matter how much I tighten the hose clamp around the carb. Fortunately, the engine pan keeps me from losing the whole thing.

Has anybody found a way to securely fasten one of these to a Zenith carburetor ?

1929 01-06-2020 05:54 PM

Re: Having trouble with high-boy air filter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conaway2 (Post 1838643)
I just installed one of these on my Model A, running a Zenith-2 carburetor, and it keeps falling off, no matter how much I tighten the hose clamp around the carb. Fortunately, the engine pan keeps me from losing the whole thing.

Has anybody found a way to securely fasten one of these to a Zenith carburetor ?

I just noticed that I had two clamps at the Carb mount, never had a problem.

Conaway2 01-06-2020 06:33 PM

This one does have 2 clamps - one around the filter end of the hose and another around the carb end of the hose. The hose will push a little over 1” on the carb opening before it hits the boss for the choke butterfly shaft, and that’s just not enough for a reliable connection. I’m thinking of attaching a strap just under the filter element for support, but need to figure out what to attach it to.

Mulletwagon 01-06-2020 07:51 PM

Mine stays on very securely. Seems like a very solid friction connection.

1929 01-06-2020 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conaway2 (Post 1838654)
This one does have 2 clamps - one around the filter end of the hose and another around the carb end of the hose. The hose will push a little over 1” on the carb opening before it hits the boss for the choke butterfly shaft, and that’s just not enough for a reliable connection. I’m thinking of attaching a strap just under the filter element for support, but need to figure out what to attach it to.

I have 3, one at the filter,two at the Carb.

Davew 01-06-2020 11:53 PM

Mine fell off first try using a nut driver to tighten it. Put it back on and really tightened it down with socket and ratchet. Hasn’t come off. Also put on a piece of wire from filter to radiator rod just in case.

1931 flamingo 01-07-2020 02:06 PM

I believe the instructions say to use a rachet and socket........................
Paul in CT

Conaway2 01-07-2020 06:47 PM

I thoroughly cleaned the sealing surfaces on the hose and carb body, then used an 8mm socket with ratchet drive....and the filter is staying on ! Guess I should have followed the directions in the first place !!

SDJason 01-08-2020 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davew (Post 1838713)
...Also put on a piece of wire from filter to radiator rod just in case.

Yup - I did that too; it just seemed like a good idea, "just in case"