The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Engine Stand... I dont see how (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144411)

lecktrix 07-14-2014 08:03 PM

Engine Stand... I dont see how

Hello all... Im new to the flathead world, and im about to start a rebuild. I know the issue has been discussed tons of times on here... but what should I do... I have seen the exhaust port stands and the front and rear stands. I have two 1948 V8's that I need to tear down. I have done tons of modern motors and I hang them from the bellhousing... I just noticed that part of the bellhousing is the oil pan..
Im definately not comfortable hanging this motor on the top of the bellhousing, and im definately not happy hanging my motor from the exhaust ports...

Am I crazy, or is it safe to suspend a complete motor from the exhaust ports??

Fredb_ 07-14-2014 08:10 PM

Re: Engine Stand... I dont see how

I made a bracket for the exhaust mount and it worked fine for me on a couple different engines.
Fred

Shadetree 07-14-2014 08:13 PM

I felt the same way but it worked fine. I believe I bought my exhaust port mount from Red's headers. Everyone says absolutely not to use the bell housing as it could break, destroying your block.

35fordtn 07-14-2014 08:17 PM

Here is the link to one I used bought off ebay and worked great. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flathead-For...c73387&vxp=mtr

tiquer 07-14-2014 08:20 PM

Do not hang the motor by the bell houseing alone I have seen a flat motor that was destroyed doing that. It broke a third of the bell houseing away.

Binx 07-14-2014 08:21 PM

I find it easier to tear them apart on a sheet of plywood on the floor then build them up on a stand.

Lonnie

deuce_roadster 07-14-2014 08:28 PM

The KR Wilson engine stand used by all Ford Service Departments held the engine by the front and rear exhaust ports. That should allay any fear you have about hanging the complete engine by the exhaust ports.

JSeery 07-14-2014 08:32 PM

Yep, that is what I was going to say, if it was good enough for Ford, it should be good enough for us! And I can attest to the breaking of the bellhousings, my current block was broken by a previous owner.

4tford 07-14-2014 08:42 PM

I use the ones that mount on the exhaust ports. Very easy to use and strong as well.

Bassman/NZ 07-14-2014 09:02 PM

I used a bellhousing mounted stand, but I supported the front of the engine with a piece of rope and my engine lifter. I definitely did not feel comfortable with just the stand on its own.

ct1932ford 07-14-2014 09:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just getting ready to paint and assemble mine! 4 bolts attached to the top rear bell housing. Make sure all bolts are tight and use large washers. Did the same thing on my roadster with no problems.

JSeery 07-14-2014 09:40 PM

Works great until it brakes. Lots of people get away with it, some don't.

Ronnie 07-14-2014 09:55 PM

Get walt to show his. It is a plate that bolts to the 59a bell and then the plate is what the engine stand arms bolt to.A very sturdy way to set up an engine on a conventional stand. The chance of the bell breaking that way is all but eliminated.Just a plate would work as well oround 1/2" thick should do it.But then you need to fabricate a new stub end to fit your stand.Walt's way is way simpler to fab up.

R

Capn John 07-15-2014 01:49 AM

STUMPY'S makes an engine stand that bolts to the exhaust ports!!!
[email protected]

NOTE: The engine stand listed above from ebay is a STUMPYS stand.

"Here is the link to one I used bought off ebay and worked great. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flathead-For...c73387&vxp=mtr
"

http://stumpysfabworks.weebly.com/st..._Products.html

Old Ford Addict 07-15-2014 02:41 AM

I decided and started keeping my eye out for a block a couple months ago.

The very next early block I find that’s un usable is going to prove this entire debate true or faults.

I’m betting the stand bends when I lower the loader bucket on it.

BILL WZOREK 07-15-2014 03:02 AM

Think about this Question this way ~~ Of all the Bellhousings that have been broke ask how many were mounted on the engine stand by way of the exaust ports, I think that # may be ZERO

My example is Hanging the engine off the bellhousing is like having Sex with out protection you may get away with it many / many times BUT Sooner or later you will get caught & pay the big price !!!

Mart 07-15-2014 09:25 AM

I made an exhaust port mount that used all six bolts, but it only fits one side. I have used it on the other side a couple of times with just 4 bolts, but prefer to use the 6 when I can. All the evidence shows that just 4 bolts are adequate.

I never use the bellhousing bolts, too many reports of breakages for my liking. No reports of any problem using the FORD APPROVED method of attaching to the exhaust ports.

Ronnie 07-15-2014 09:37 AM

Lots of reports but no pictures.Some forums say "no" pictures is it "didn't" happen.Lets see how many pictures are out there.

R

JSeery 07-15-2014 09:57 AM

I have seen a lot of photos posted on this subject and have posted some myself. But I guess the real issue is there is not an engine stand police that I am aware of, so mount the engine anyway you want. There are ample stories on the Barn and elsewhere of people doing this for years and getting away with it. I would think even a quick look at the thickness of the material in the bellhousing area of a 59a block would lead you to see this is probably not a good idea. But again, it is your block do what you want with it, and I'll bet that you will get away with it just fine. My block was broken this way and I'm not taken any chances in the future, but that is just me.

51504bat 07-15-2014 10:08 AM

I bought an adapter from Stumpys for my 99t but I sold the motor and only have 8ba's so I no longer need the adapter. PM me if you are interested.