The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1937 Ford Fordor Survivor (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62675)

TonyM 04-24-2013 08:59 PM

Re: 1937 Ford Fordor Survivor

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marv (Post 638729)
That looks like it will work well. Since you are going to paint to match the headliner, what would you think about making it one peice cardboard frfom front to rear and matching the contour of the car and headliner and mounting it like you have with stainless screws. Marv

Marv, Thanks for the comments.

That was the plan at first, one continuous piece. If I can find suitable material of the correct length, I will go that route. Thanks.

New Tires next month and the car should be ready for the season. I have black walls on there now and I do like the way they look. When I first got the car I fully intended to get white walls. But the blackwalls look pretty dog gone good too and I really like the look. So I began to wrestle with the problem of Whitewalls vs. Blackwalls. But a few weeks ago, with no prompting from me, my wife said she wanted me to buy whitewalls when I buy the tires. What a dilema. I guess I will have to go with the whitewalls.

TonyM 05-03-2013 12:47 AM

4 Attachment(s)
When I removed the intake manifold I found this oil-soaked shop rag in the valley. Wow. I wonder how long it had been in there?

Gumpy 05-03-2013 09:15 AM

Nice car-

the interior has stood the test of time and looks comfortable!

Have Fun with it!

Seth Swoboda 05-03-2013 09:23 AM

Tony, You should be able to find the correct fuel pump stand easily. Let me do some digging after work.

TonyM 05-03-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda (Post 644372)
Tony, You should be able to find the correct fuel pump stand easily. Let me do some digging after work.

Thanks Seth. I appreciate the help.

I think I solved this problem. Thanks.

TonyM.

Shadetree 05-03-2013 02:04 PM

Hooray for you and hooray for the guy that sold it to you! That is a great find!

TonyM 05-03-2013 11:12 PM

Thanks Gumpy and Thanks Shadetree.

TM

TonyM 05-05-2013 11:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Today I installed Restored Aluminum Intake Manifold, rebuilt Stromberg 97 Carburetor, New Fuel Pump, New Radiator Hoses and Themostats, New Fan Belt and New Fuel line. This car is running real good now. Need to have my new muffler installed. Will be getting some new tires soon. Here is a photo of what the engine compartment looked like when I purchased the car and what it looks like now.

TonyM 05-06-2013 09:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Back on the road.
Need to finish the re-wire job, install my new windshield and get new tires.

Talkwrench 05-06-2013 09:59 PM

Great work, would look good with red highlights on the rims and some whitewalls
; o P

Django 05-07-2013 02:37 PM

Looks great Tony!

TonyM 05-08-2013 06:46 AM

Thanks Chad. Good to see you back on FordBarn.
TM

TonyM 05-13-2013 01:55 AM

6 Attachment(s)
I finally got my windshield back together--it took three tries. I had to go with thinner glass setting tape. I thought I measured it right but it turned out that I needed 3/64ths instead of 1/16th setting tape. I cut pie cuts around the bends. I would like to thank Chris Blattie for his advice. I looked up Chris Blattie on H.A.M.B., messaged him and read his threads. He was a tremendous help. It turned out great. I will put in the windshield seal and re-install the windshield on the car this week.

3 1937s 05-13-2013 03:59 AM

Hi Tony M,
my 1st time at this so dont know how I will go.
Take a look at WWW.CARS FOR WEDDINGS.CO.NZ
and see my 37s.
My knowledge is not up to posting photos.
You have got yourself a very nice unit there.
Good it is 85HP.
Once ugly and not wanted 37 is these days very popular.
Enjoy your Model 78.

TonyM 05-18-2013 12:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
New Patent Plate installed. The old one was just a piece of blank aluminum. New generator wiring with ground. Need to take out the front seat to finish the dash through firewall wiring. New starter solenoid; the other one worked, but the threads were real bad on one connector. 1937 Ford DeLuxe Fordor at 156th Place and Henry Street.

felix37 05-19-2013 09:20 AM

Awesome find! What a great reference for one who is trying to restore their interior. I really like the condition of that deluxe steering wheel!

TonyM 05-22-2013 12:23 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Thanks Felix.

I was investigating a clutch chatter problem and discovered that the left hand side "Engine Radius Rod" , also known as an anti-chatter rod, was not even connected to the frame. The special bolt with square hole was found resting in the frame hole. One good bump and it would have been lost forever. I removed the chatter rod and discovered that it was bent. I researched the piece and found that it should be straight. I bent the chatter rod back to straight and it fit perfect.

It took a long time to thread the special recessed threaded bolt with flat head/square hole through the frame and the chatter rod because of limited space for tool or hands/fingers. I made a special lug to help out. Took 3.5 hours to thread that bolt through the frame and piece; boy was it a tight squeeze--about 1.5 inches between frame and floor. Plus stop light switch and other stuff in the way. Had to thread over half way with greasy fingers before I could get a tool on it. Then I kept knocking the lug off. After two thirds of threads, I got the tool on it sure and it tightened down real nice.

Changed the trans oil and checked engine mounts for tightness. All good. Weather might not cooperate for the test drive. Hope the Clutch Chatter is gone. New tires from Coker arrived yesterday.

Seth Swoboda 05-22-2013 01:14 PM

Sounds like you're really making progress. You will like those new tires & your ride.

TonyM 05-22-2013 11:13 PM

Success! Solved the problem. The Clutch Chatter is gone.

TonyM 05-27-2013 09:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
New Whitewalls.