The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How to install running board stainless trim (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80652)

mot ecnal 08-22-2012 03:10 PM

How to install running board stainless trim

I have my new rubber running board covers installed, but can't get the stainless trim to clip over the rubber covers. Anybody have a solution? Thanks

DavidG 08-22-2012 04:35 PM

Re: How to install running board stainless trim

While you did not mention the year of your running boards, the original attachment of the stainless trim to the boards was spring clips through the rubber and holes in the underlying steel except at both ends where the clips had threaded studs secured with nuts and lock washers. The required holes in your boards are normally there whether the car originally came with the stainless trim or not.

42guy 08-22-2012 07:13 PM

If you are taking about 42-48's, you will have fun.
I slipped the bottom on and then using a 1" piece of wood and C clamps to force them on over the top. It took many trys, but finally got them on. They were orginal trim parts but the rubber might be thicker. I would like to hear other ideas.

mot ecnal 08-22-2012 07:21 PM

I did forget to list the year of my car, it's a 1947 coupe. Thanks for the advise on how you did yours. Anybody have a better solution? Thanks

Gary in La. 08-23-2012 09:06 AM

When I did my '46 I had NOS running boards and trim. The trim was snug but a firm slap with my hand popped them on. I suspect the new rubber is a little thick on the edge so you may have to resort to wood and clamps.

danliveshere 08-23-2012 09:41 AM

Sorry to hijack this thread but does anybody know a supplier who has the clips for a 35-36 running board trim?

DavidG 08-23-2012 09:52 AM

I was referring to '35-'38 running board mouldings; sorry for the confusion.

deuce lover 08-23-2012 11:20 AM

No one makes the hardware to attach the running board moulding on a 35-36 that I know of.I used fender washers and tig welded a stud on the washer.First trim the washer so it slides in the slot easily.

mot ecnal 08-23-2012 12:18 PM

Thanks guys. tom

Paragon 07-13-2017 08:04 AM

I'm new to your forum and will be asking a lot of questions. To start, I'm installing the running board trim on a 1930 Standard coupe that I'm restoring. I purchased the SS trim from Mac's. Does anyone have any photos of the corner detail or can you describe how to finish the corners. Any tricks would be appreciated.

TJ 07-13-2017 08:48 AM

On the 35-36 trim you can get universal "trim to fit" clips with studs already mounted in them. Some V-8 parts suppliers and I think LeBaron-Bonney carry them.