The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   front spring question for a 30 hot rod (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269663)

evobuilder 09-18-2019 07:31 PM

front spring question for a 30 hot rod

2 Attachment(s)
Check out the two pic for references. The 8 leaf pack is what was in my model A frame (sitting in factory cross member) and the 4 pack is what was supposed to come with my Speedway kit (spring behind axle).
With the 8 pack has a standard eye, the ride height was REALLY high, higher than the rear). It was also 28.5"eye to eye and the leaf ends rubbed the shackle.
The new spring is the right width 28" and is reverse eye, and my question is.... should I run an extra spring - to make 5? I have a big block ford but the body is glass and there is really nothing else, just a simple hot rod.
Attachment 407272

Attachment 407275

tinkirk 09-18-2019 08:06 PM

Re: front spring question for a 30 hot rod

Try it not that hard to add a leaf or two
You won’t know tell it’s all together and on the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evobuilder 09-18-2019 08:40 PM

Thanks. Yes, I am going to start with 4 (as is) and set it down on the ground. Then, add one at a time and see what works/drives best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinkirk (Post 1800622)
Try it not that hard to add a leaf or two
You won’t know tell it’s all together and on the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evobuilder 09-19-2019 12:28 AM

WHOA!!!!! Replaced the new 4 leaf spring and it def lowered it..... almost right on top of the axle.... and obviously the wishbones need to be adjusted forward because it rolled back soo much. I seriously think it dropped it 3 inches.

So probably need to add a leaf or two. Question is.... what is an acceptable amount of space between the axle and the frame?

dumb person 09-19-2019 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evobuilder (Post 1800701)
So probably need to add a leaf or two. Question is.... what is an acceptable amount of space between the axle and the frame?

In my country, 50mm (two inches).

barrelnose 09-19-2019 06:52 AM

In my country 50mm is 2”s,
No disrespect meant,just couldn’t help myself.

77Birdman 09-19-2019 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrelnose (Post 1800725)
In my country 50mm is 2”s,
No disrespect meant,just couldn’t help myself.

Everything is bigger in Australia!

tinkirk 09-19-2019 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evobuilder (Post 1800701)
WHOA!!!!! Replaced the new 4 leaf spring and it def lowered it..... almost right on top of the axle.... and obviously the wishbones need to be adjusted forward because it rolled back soo much. I seriously think it dropped it 3 inches.

bounce the front end, does it bottom out? if it does add a leaf, if not it must be good!

evobuilder 09-19-2019 10:31 AM

anyone know the minimum distance between axle and frame.... like can I get away with an inch? Understanding that spring tension has a factor in it... but still wonder if I can get away with an inch?

As I said above, my 4 spring pack installed has the axle just almost touching the frame rails.... so I am thinking about a 1" spacer to set ride height and then eventually play with adding spring by spring to dial it in perfectly.

So thoughts on an inch of space being enough?

dumb person 09-20-2019 02:33 AM

2 inches is the norm' where i live as the roads are uneven enough that a wheel would leave the ground if the axle bottoms out on the frame on one side.

May want slightly more than an inch.

Jim Brierley 09-20-2019 11:23 AM

The big block is heavy, you'll probably need another leaf, use a long one for good results.

Wick 09-23-2019 04:25 AM

Just add a spacer block between the spring and the cross member. 1/2" is what I did. Running a 4" drop axle with reverse eye spring. Tires don't hit fenders on turns now. Run 4-6 degree of caster 6 is best.
Wick