The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Easy fix for carburetor fuel line leak (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291861)

SteveR. 12-20-2020 01:07 PM

Easy fix for carburetor fuel line leak

1 Attachment(s)
Woke up this morning to a house that smelled like gas because I forgot to turn off the fuel valve on the "A". Decided to try to fix it right, it has been an ongoing issue for months, and didn't go away with a newly overhauled carb. The fuel line had essentially been shrunk over the years from repeated tightening of the nut on the ferrule. The ferrule fit very loosely on the fuel line. I took an old flared punch of my Granddad's, probably 60 years old, inserted the punch in the end of the fuel line and gave it several good taps from a small hammer. This flared the end of the fuel line slightly so that the ferrule has something to press on, and now the ferrule sticks at the end of the line. Tightened the nut/ferrule up and turned the gas on and the leak is fixed, not even a hint of a leak with the head pressure of a full tank. No sealants or tape or anything else on the fitting were needed. I suspect this is a much better fix than a lot of the band-aid fixes out there such as tape and sealant, most people don't realize the aluminum line has been shrunk over time.

Russ/40 12-20-2020 02:16 PM

Re: Easy fix for carburetor fuel line leak

How is it you have aluminum fuel lines? No wonder you had a problem. Aluminum is too soft for a brass feral.

nkaminar 12-20-2020 04:18 PM

Should be steel line. The original gas line is rolled with a seam running the length of the line. This can develop a leak along the seam. This happened to me in 1960 when I drove to Sequoia National Park in my 1930 coupe. I got a gas station to replace the line with a solid steel one. Copper can fatigue and break or develop a leak because of compression of the line when fastening, like what happened to Steve R.

Chuck Sea/Tac 12-20-2020 07:11 PM

You can go to the parts store and buy a steel brake line, and bend it yourself. You would need an imp, and the correct carb fitting.

SteveR. 12-21-2020 10:50 PM

My mistake, I put a magnet on it and the line is steel, not aluminum.

Purdy Swoft 12-22-2020 12:20 PM

i also use steel brake lines to make the gas lines that I use for my dual updraft setups . Copper is easier to bend into shape but steel tubing is more durable .

Ak Sourdough 12-23-2020 04:12 PM

Really? Not one pat on the back for fixing his leak, everyone has to correct him or bitch about something.

Good job SteveR.

fried okra 12-23-2020 08:24 PM

Just checkin', should not be a problem opening the fuel sediment bowl when the fuel line to the tank is shut off I guess?

katy 12-23-2020 08:51 PM

Shouldn't be a problem unless it hasn't been apart since Christ was a cowboy, then it might be a struggle to get it apart.

Russ/40 12-25-2020 11:23 AM

OK, congratulations, the best part of your accomplishment, is you examined the situation and understood why you had the problem. That's how experience makes us better wrenches. Thanks for sharing, as others have learned from your effort.

Big hammer 12-25-2020 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ak Sourdough (Post 1965946)
Really? Not one pat on the back for fixing his leak, everyone has to correct him or bitch about something.

Good job SteveR.

We really need a like button!!!

Ak Sourdough 12-25-2020 02:08 PM

I agree, a like button would be a big benefit.

California Travieso 12-25-2020 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ak Sourdough (Post 1966672)
I agree, a like button would be a big benefit.

X3

David