The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Theft of original license plates - is this an issue? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291021)

SteveR. 12-01-2020 10:55 PM

Theft of original license plates - is this an issue?

I have 1930 TX plates on my Tudor. It is my weekend car, so it is often at the grocery store, hardware store, or wherever else I need to go. I only have the rear plate installed as I've wondered if someone would steal these. Since they would be reported stolen maybe they aren't terribly attractive to thieves. Is theft of original plates an issue I should be concerned with?

J Franklin 12-01-2020 11:27 PM

Re: Theft of original license plates - is this an issue?

Install with LockTite red thread locker, the thief will need to bring his torch to remove the fasteners.

Kurt in NJ 12-01-2020 11:35 PM

uise allen head screws with nylock nuts ---but they won't stop a rollback

gz 12-01-2020 11:35 PM

Been driving old cars around with original license plates all over the country for decades. I never worry about parking my cars unattended at night at hotels, etc. Never had a problem.

alexiskai 12-01-2020 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 1958437)
Install with LockTite red thread locker, the thief will need to bring his torch to remove the fasteners.

So will the owner. If theft is a concern, use bolts with an unusual drive, e.g., square, Security Torx, penta, anything weird. Same idea as locking lug nuts.

McMimmcs 12-02-2020 12:49 AM

The chances are far greater they will take the whole car!

Agent Orange 12-02-2020 12:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use tamper resistant Torx screws just for piece of mind.

redmodelt 12-02-2020 01:17 AM

In Oregon if someone did, they are in my name so no one could use them anyway even if they were resold. When year of manufacture plates are used, I own the number that is on them, means that if someone had a plate of a different year but same number they can't use them on a car. Besides they are not worth that much on the market.

ronn 12-02-2020 06:33 AM

might be different if you were speaking of porcelain plates from the brass era. these plates have very little value.

Big hammer 12-02-2020 07:53 AM

And before that Leather Plates ! $$$$

Patrick L. 12-02-2020 08:05 AM

I wonder if tamper resistant fasteners would meet judging standards. [smiley face]

kenparker0703 12-02-2020 08:27 AM

Had my 1928 commercial Texas plates stolen off my '28 pickup 20 years ago. Parking lot of the host hotel of Texas Tour in Frederiskburg. Front and rear very rare. Reported to police and the plates were marked as stolen so they could never be used by anyone. Someone still has those plates - I hope they are happy. BTW, they left the nuts and bolts on the ground below the platets.

The good news is JC Taylor Insurance made good on the theft and I was ablle to get another set.

alexiskai 12-02-2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 1958472)
these plates have very little value.

Speak for yourself, a set of 1929 NC plates in good condition with accurate color is hard to find. I don't secure my plates, but I wouldn't call anyone misguided who did.

Chris in WNC 12-02-2020 09:33 AM

yes, alexiskai...
when I sold our Model As in 2013-14 I also sold the 2 '31 NC plates I had used on them.
big mistake.
now that I have the Town Sedan back, I'm looking for a '31 NC plate and they have gotten quite pricey!

Nosetime 12-02-2020 09:44 AM

In California you need a pair to do YOM plates. A pair of clear plates are worth some money and not too easy to find. You can find singles at fleas and swaps all day long.

alexiskai 12-02-2020 09:50 AM

Yes, and the '29 plates are even rarer - I think because the color was Carolina blue that year, so it appeals to a variety of plate collectors.

old31 12-02-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 1958450)
The chances are far greater they will take the whole car!

Ya, my luck they will take the car and leave the license plate with a note, "THANKS".:eek:

Gary Karr 12-02-2020 12:28 PM

I also worry about losing radiator and gas caps as well as valve stem dust covers. The chances are probably greater that these would be taken from a car event than simply while parked at the market.

McMimmcs 12-02-2020 12:50 PM

My friend caught someone removing the valve stem dust covers from my pickup truck. Not a teenager but a 73 year old man that said they cost too much to buy. Go figure !

shookie 12-02-2020 09:09 PM

Two of my valve stem covers disappeared during a over nite trip to a antique town in Wisconsin.