The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   powder coating prep: backside of wheel Q (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292530)

Brubaker 01-05-2021 10:46 AM

powder coating prep: backside of wheel Q

I have looked a quite a few threads and am clear on plugging the lug nut seats. Question is regarding the backside of the wheel that contacts the hub. Does the entire area get masked-off pre PC application?

BRENT in 10-uh-C 01-05-2021 01:11 PM

Re: powder coating prep: backside of wheel Q

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brubaker (Post 1970624)
I have looked a quite a few threads and am clear on plugging the lug nut seats. Question is regarding the backside of the wheel that contacts the hub. Does the entire area get masked-off pre PC application?

No, don't tape the backside or the tapered area. There is many myths pertaining to powder painting and such.

In all likelihood, your powder painted wheel will have less mil thickness than what an original enamel dipped wheel had when new. Just send them to the painter, and when you get them back, bolt them onto a hub and then remove the wheel. You will see exactly where the lug nut scored the paint. If it is "balling up", then use a Dremel tool with a chamfered stone to remove part of the excess paint. Then re-install and drive. Randomly check the lug nut torque after driving to ensure the remaining paint in the lug nut tapered area has not been compromised during tightening or driving.

Brubaker 01-05-2021 01:40 PM

Thanks Brent. That's very helpful. Bruce

JayJay 01-05-2021 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brubaker (Post 1970624)

I had thought of powder coating my frame, but never considered the wheels. Is this something that folks now routinely do? (Obviously not for a fine points car, but certainly has attraction for a driver).

JayJay

Herb Concord Ca 01-05-2021 06:43 PM

Yes both my drivers have power coated wheels.

TMarsh 01-05-2021 06:55 PM

I had powder coated frame, wheels, springs, axle housings, axle, backing plates, ets.etc. etc. I don't have a ranger bass boat or a bennelli shotgun, I just spend my money on my A hobby. Have twice the value in it im sure, but its my hobby.

Alaska Mike 01-05-2021 09:07 PM

If you powder coat your wheels, ask the powder coater for some extra powder. This can be used with clear fingernail polish later to touch up scratches and dings. You stir a little powder into a small amount of fingernail polish on a piece of cardboard. Then brush it on the scratch or ding. Store the powder in a cool dry place or it will harden.