The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Follow up to Registration Woes (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274017)

Ed in Maine 12-13-2019 06:05 PM

Follow up to Registration Woes

First I want to apologize to the Ford Barn for the confusion I created on this thread. I forgot that my handle is "Ed in Maine." The truth is "Ed" is in Florida because I am avoiding all the cold and snow in Downeast Maine. Today I was successful in getting my plates for my new 1931 Victoria. In Florida, as a matter of procedure, the DMV sends an agent to your house to inspect your Vin number and the indicated mileage. You don't have to get a temporary plate. How civilized is that? In my case, the Vin number on the car did not match an out of state title. That requires I sign a form entitled "Affidavit For Change of Motor" (For a Motor Vehicle Manufactured Prior to 1955). The whole situation was cleared up in no time! I have been to our local DMV several times and every time it has been a rewarding experience. Tomorrow I plan to go back to the sellers house and drive the car home (35 miles). it will be a little scary because I don't know the car but I will have my tools with me. I am embarrassed to make this statement when I remember a few months ago a fellow barner drove a newly purchased pickup truck from the West coast to Michigan! Thank you for all your help and comments, Ed

DHZIEMAN 12-13-2019 06:14 PM

Re: Follow up to Registration Woes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed in Maine (Post 1831309)
First I want to apologize to the Ford Barn for the confusion I created on this thread. I forgot that my handle is "Ed in Maine." The truth is "Ed" is in Florida because I am avoiding all the cold and snow in Downeast Maine. Today I was successful in getting my plates for my new 1931 Victoria. In Florida, as a matter of procedure, the DMV sends an agent to your house to inspect your Vin number and the indicated mileage. You don't have to get a temporary plate. How civilized is that? In my case, the Vin number on the car did not match an out of state title. That requires I sign a form entitled "Affidavit For Change of Motor" (For a Motor Vehicle Manufactured Prior to 1955). The whole situation was cleared up in no time! I have been to our local DMV several times and every time it has been a rewarding experience. Tomorrow I plan to go back to the sellers house and drive the car home (35 miles). it will be a little scary because I don't know the car but I will have my tools with me. I am embarrassed to make this statement when I remember a few months ago a fellow barner drove a newly purchased pickup truck from the West coast to Michigan! Thank you for all your help and comments, Ed

Good to hear! Ya know, license bureau's in just every state I have lived, all have a reputation, to find some sheet or property receipt or some item you have forgotten. I think this plays into "apprehension" that every time we deal with them, we will come up on the short end. It is good to hear the folks in Florida helped you get your title set up right. Gott be a good feeling! Enjoy your new toy!

copgib 12-13-2019 07:18 PM

Ed I am in Florida also and I had a similar situation. My Model A was a barn find and the seller gave me the title when I bought it. The problem was, just after getting it we found out the motor was shot, so he put a repacement in it. When I went to Florida DMV I was told to get a letter signed with contact numbers of the seller and the letter must state that the new motor was installed in car since the title had the old motor number on it. The seller lived in Texas so I had to call him for this. After I got the paperwork the Florida DMV wanted they issued me my new title with proper engine number and license plate. Florida DMV did work with me and I thank them for this. Hugh

Mulletwagon 12-13-2019 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed in Maine (Post 1831309)

Thanks for sharing the rest of the story. Is the number on your title also visible somewhere on your vehicle ? Has the original number been retained ?

Bill G 12-13-2019 08:39 PM

It was scary the first time I drove mine. Now, 35 miles would be like a trip around the block. You will get to the point where you won't want to park it after a while. A few months ago I went with a friend of mine on a test drive in the country in his Model T roadster. Now, I can't walk and chew gum at the same time and the pedals on the T were like learning to drive all over again. It's a good thing we were on a country road, but in the end it was a blast. You will get used to the A real fast, I guarantee it.

Mike V. Florida 12-13-2019 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicbox51 (Post 1831345)
It was scary the first time I drove mine. Now, 35 miles would be like a trip around the block. You will get to the point where you won't want to park it after a while. A few months ago I went with a friend of mine on a test drive in the country in his Model T roadster. Now, I can't walk and chew gum at the same time and the pedals on the T were like learning to drive all over again. It's a good thing we were on a country road, but in the end it was a blast. You will get used to the A real fast, I guarantee it.

Ditto

Bruce of MN 12-14-2019 05:39 AM

Ed, why don't you add Florida to your profile, so that it appears with your posts under the avatar?

rotorwrench 12-14-2019 06:53 AM

If you stay in Florida, there will be no further situations but if you move, an engine change can come back to haunt. If the engine number is from a model A of the same year then there may be no contest but if it's from an earlier or later year, some state DMVs will catch it.

Some states rule by the frame number and require a pencil rubbing of it with state verification (in Texas it's the DPS that verifies). If there is no frame number, many states require a state assigned number to be affixed to the vehicle per their regulations.

I' glad to hear it worked out for you. This is one of the trickiest parts of the hobby.

77Birdman 12-14-2019 07:16 AM

WOW, that sounds like it was incredibly easy, AND they came to your house to verify? I bought a used car in PA once and had to go to a title/notary agent to get temp tags to drive home, I was surprised there were a number of people there that were getting their cars 'verified' as well. We have no verification in MD that the title matches the car.

KGBnut 12-14-2019 07:24 AM

Ed, glad to hear that it all worked out.

eagle 12-14-2019 09:38 AM

The only issue I see is now you have a car with mismatching numbers, and the titled VIN doesn't match the frame VIN. That's much more difficult to resolve than the presumed original problem of a correctly titled car with a replacement engine.

gary678* 12-14-2019 09:44 AM

Very happy that it was easily resolved... now you can enjoy the car!! Gary D.

1931 flamingo 12-14-2019 10:05 AM

The gentleman has a VALID title. He won't have any problem selling the vehicle.
My brother (from CT) moved to FL about 5 years ago, FL DMV very easy to work with ! !
Paul in CT

katy 12-14-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Tomorrow I plan to go back to the sellers house and drive the car home
I hope it's still there for you.

Bob Bidonde 12-16-2019 12:04 PM

Ed, I am anxious to some pictures of your new Victoria. Plwease post some.

Ed in Maine 12-19-2019 07:30 AM

Thank you for all your encouraging words. Just a final clarification, the new Florida title will show the current engine number just like it should. The old VIN has been discarded. Ed

pbishop 12-19-2019 08:02 PM

From Tampa, FL - Once the situation is cleared up your car will be titled and tagged as 'antique' and will require 'no' further effort on you part. The 'antique' title and tag will be permanent and will not require any further registration or 'any other Florida DMV' efforts on your part.

My 31 Model A has been titled and tagged 'antique' for the last 10 years and I only have to maintain insurance (Taylor Inc.) on it to regularly drive it to shows and events.