The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Marvel Carburetor (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292900)

30blindback 01-12-2021 06:53 PM

Marvel Carburetor

6 Attachment(s)
I've got 2 Marvel carburetors I have rebuilt. The information I have gathered refers to these as better than the original Zenith giving more performance than the Zenith.
I have cleaned all passages, flattened the mounting flange, and replaced all gaskets. The throttle shaft is tight. If interested Email me, please. $150.00ea
[email protected]

mcgarrett 01-12-2021 07:32 PM

Re: Marvel Carburetor

Hey Jon,
Nice looking carb. I had been running the correct side bowl Zenith on my '31 Slant Windshield, but a friend gave me a new old stock Tillotson. I decided to try it to see if it performed better. I was surprised at how much easier the car started, idled, and went down the road. Do you have any information about how the Marvel compares to the Tillotson?
Mike in Texas

01A 01-12-2021 09:52 PM

Hi Mike in Texas. My 29 Tudor came with a Tillotson so I cannot compare to a Zenith although I have been told and reading of better performance with the Tillotson. A year ago I swapped it for a Marvel. I noticed a nice improvement so now the Tillotson is my spare carb.
That's my experience.
Paul

bob from red oak 01-13-2021 06:49 AM

A friend of mine recently swapped his Zenith for a Tillotson. Ran slightly better but biggest difference for him was slightly improved gas mileage. I have always had Tillotson. Can't compare to Zenith but pleased with it.

neds29 01-13-2021 11:38 AM

I have a Tillotson and am having problems with it leaking. Runs OK though.

Y-Blockhead 01-13-2021 11:44 AM

These past months during the Corona isolation to keep myself busy, I rebuilt a couple of Marvel Schebler carbs I had. I also went thru a few of Zeniths I have.

In swapping out the various carbs for testing The Marvels perform better on my car than any of the Zeniths. Both Marvels easily idle at 400 RPM and are smoother throughout the RPM range.

Two of the Zeniths performed good, it is just that the Marvels were better, IMO. I don't have a Tillotson to play with.

The third Zenith, a newer air balanced Zenith I bought from Snyders was a POS. I could not get it to idle and ran super lean. Upon closer inspection there was excessive clearance in the throttle shaft... on a new carb! After installing an O/S shaft it runs OK, but still not as good as the other Zeniths or the Marvel Scheblers.

I have a Marvel on my car now.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2b513ea2c3.jpg

Herb Concord Ca 01-13-2021 01:42 PM

I have same experience as Paul (O1A). I have rebuilt both Tillotsons and Marvels, the Marvels run better than Tillotsons, in my opinion.

Y-Blockhead 01-13-2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30blindback (Post 1973391)
I've got 2 Marvel carburetors I have rebuilt. The information I have gathered refers to these as better than the original Zenith giving more performance than the Zenith.
I have cleaned all passages, flattened the mounting flange, and replaced all gaskets. The throttle shaft is tight. If interested Email me, please. $150.00ea
[email protected]

Jon have you tried advertising in the "Swap Meet" section?

dmaxweb 01-17-2021 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1973702)
Jon have you tried advertising in the "Swap Meet" section?

I'm rebuilding some Marvel carbs as well. Are the choke and throttle plate screws the same size as Zenith? If not, do you know the size?
Thanks

Y-Blockhead 01-17-2021 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaxweb (Post 1975042)
I'm rebuilding some Marvel carbs as well. Are the choke and throttle plate screws the same size as Zenith? If not, do you know the size?
Thanks

I do not know off the top of my head but I do have a Marvel apart out in the garage. I will measure them when I get out there (moving slow this morn...)

Edit: The Zenith and Marvel have the same size thread (6X32) but the Zenith throttle plate screws are longer.

Dave Renner, https://rennerscorner.com/carburetor.html, would know. He has rebuild kits and small parts for Marvels. He has used parts too. I just got a good used throttle shaft from him to replace one of my worn ones.

Heck of a nice guy too...

Jack Shaft 01-17-2021 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You upped the flow of the carburetor some with a different delivery system, the Marvel is an emulsion tube carburetor, a design that became popular the mid 30's. The Stromberg 97 uses the same design. The Marvel flows at about 80 CFM (cubic feet per minute) or so. The A engine in stock form flows at 160 CFM. CFM with a carburetor is the amount of air/fuel mixture it can flow at full throttle, CFM with an engine is the amount of air it will flow at peak rpm.. basically the A @2200 flows 160 CFM plus or minus. To achieve maximum efficiency from an engine matching CFM carb and CFM engine is needed.. With a model A/B ford four cylinder you're in luck, the Stromberg 97/Holley 94 used in over 30 years of flathead V8 engine production flows from 160 to 175 CFM depending on model.
As I built my engine I put my performance parts on one at a time, to feel the gain made by the component. Just putting the Stromberg alone on a stock engine really opened up the power in all throttle positions and increased economy some.. although it flows more mixture, it also raises efficiency due to lgiving the engine what it needs

henry's 31 01-17-2021 07:36 PM

Hi Neds29:

What I have found is one reason they leak is because the metal is thinner and it warps a lot easier.

Y-Blockhead 01-18-2021 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry's 31 (Post 1975277)
Hi Neds29:

What I have found is one reason they leak is because the metal is thinner and it warps a lot easier.

Same with the Marvel Schebler, soft metal. Ensure not to over tighten the screws. I only tighten the screws until the lock washer flattens, no more. I have been cutting my own gaskets also using Cork/Buna-N. No leaks.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...50751bac8a.jpg

dmaxweb 04-02-2021 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1975331)
Same with the Marvel Schebler, soft metal. Ensure not to over tighten the screws. I only tighten the screws until the lock washer flattens, no more. I have been cutting my own gaskets also using Cork/Buna-N. No leaks.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...50751bac8a.jpg

How thick is that gasket material?

Ruth 04-03-2021 12:30 AM

I have a Marvel that weeps a little. I think I will try a cork gasket also.

rotorwrench 04-03-2021 06:49 AM

When Borg-Warner formed in 1928, Marvel-Schebler/Tillotson became a division of B-W along with a lot of other companies to form a manufacturing conglomerate for automotive and aircraft systems equipment. Due to this, Tillotson and Marvel Schebler all came from the same corporation.

Tillotson carbs generally have zinc die castings so they can be warped pretty easily but they work well enough when in good condition.

alexiskai 04-03-2021 07:22 AM

When did Marvel start making Model A carbs? I know M-S were making carbs in the '20s, and I know that at some point in the late '30s or early '40s they became a popular replacement carb. But what was the first year you could have bought a Marvel carb for your Model A?

Y-Blockhead 04-03-2021 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaxweb (Post 2003193)
How thick is that gasket material?

I use 1/32" cork/buna-N gasket material. It is softer than the paper gaskets available and conforms to slight warpage on the carb body without the need to over tighten.

Aretino 04-03-2021 09:18 AM

Marvel for me

Y-Blockhead 04-03-2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskai (Post 2003270)
When did Marvel start making Model A carbs? I know M-S were making carbs in the '20s, and I know that at some point in the late '30s or early '40s they became a popular replacement carb. But what was the first year you could have bought a Marvel carb for your Model A?

According to Dave Renner (rennerscorner.com) Marvel Schebler carburetors were replacement carbs when Zenith stopped selling carbs to Ford and dealers started using them for replacements for Model A and B Zeniths.

They were also sold at Sears (under the Allstate brand). Also sold under the Johnson brand.

I have no info on when they could first be bought for the Model A.