The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1952 stuck flathead (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285576)

vernlee 08-14-2020 11:41 AM

1952 stuck flathead

I bought a 52 F100 flathead complete engine but froze up , I pulled the heads cylinders and pistons look very good , very clean no carbon , I fought the valve removal for two weeks , finally got them out today what a JOB , put a socket on the crankshaft pulley and pop it freed up turns smooth and easy , I kinda assumed it was the valve train that was hanging everything up , now my question , should I go ahead a pull the oil pan and check everything , or just work on the top end with new valves , seats , springs ect .and go for it ? , motor still had clean oil in the original air cleaner and oil filter , crankcase oil looked good also , no signs of moister or anything , motor had been setting for 25 years , what do you think ?

Vern

GOSFAST 08-14-2020 11:51 AM

Re: 1952 stuck flathead

Quote:

Originally Posted by vernlee (Post 1920069)
I bought a 52 F100 flathead complete engine but froze up , I pulled the heads cylinders and pistons look very good , very clean no carbon , I fought the valve removal for two weeks , finally got them out today what a JOB , put a socket on the crankshaft pulley and pop it freed up turns smooth and easy , I kinda assumed it was the valve train that was hanging everything up , now my question , should I go ahead a pull the oil pan and check everything , or just work on the top end with new valves , seats , springs ect .and go for it ? , motor still had clean oil in the original air cleaner and oil filter , crankcase oil looked good also , no signs of moister or anything , motor had been setting for 25 years , what do you think ?

Vern

Hi Vern, now's the time to put all new parts in there? Not really all that expensive considering.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I would also put in some bronze-lined guides, they'll last forever and eliminate any chance of "hanging" a valve over time, been there, done it!

rockfla 08-14-2020 12:44 PM

Some plastic gauge, rotate the motor and about 2 hours of your time is "Cheap" insurance both in not only the piece of mind of "knowing" BUT also making "SURE" everything is jam up and jelly tight!!!!

alanwoodieman 08-14-2020 02:41 PM

It has been my experience that the valve train is most likely the problem with a stuck flathead, cast iron valve guides and steel valves. oil drains out of the valve guides and rust sticks the valves to the guides. I would at the least pull the pan and check the connecting rods for wear with plastigauge . clean the oil pan/screen if they check ok and go for it!

cas3 08-14-2020 02:42 PM

the clean looking oil is an illusion. after a long time the dirt settles to the bottom of the pan, and the oil looks new again

Ggmac 08-14-2020 06:07 PM

Id hook up a battery and mechanical oil pressure gauge , change oil and check oil pressure while cranking . If good and you cant move the pistons down while each has just gone past TDC , id say , run it . Check after running for leaks = cracked block . Unless of course you have good supply of money for a rebuild.

vernlee 08-14-2020 06:44 PM

Sounds like good advise from all , think at the very least I'll pull the pan and check the oil pickup screen and just have a look .

GB SISSON 08-14-2020 10:12 PM

Plastigauge is a great invention. Rods and mains for sure. For the most part the engines I have checked were in excellent shape. It's a great feeling seeing that wide stripe when you remove the cap!