The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Can I use new cast brake drums with old shoes? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288980)

SteveR. 10-21-2020 05:38 AM

Can I use new cast brake drums with old shoes?

The car came with new cast drums when I got it and I need to install them. Will it hurt to keep the shoes?

kbinde2 10-21-2020 06:19 AM

Re: Can I use new cast brake drums with old shoes?

If you are going to refurbish the brakes, IMO.. I would replace each component as a unit, shoes and drums, and to inspect, clean and re-adjust/replace internal parts as required. Getting stopped safely is priority on our roads today.. kb

ryanheacox 10-21-2020 06:42 AM

If the shoes are in good shape, linings are thick, pin holes aren't wallowed out, etc. I would have them arced to the cast drums and use them. Are they woven or molded linings?

kenparker0703 10-21-2020 07:35 AM

For a cost of about $100 for new linings I would replace the linings on the old shoes. While inside the brake mechanisn I would check EVERY component. If any wear shows replace it. Your peace of mind and safety are not worth a few $$$$'s.

WHN 10-22-2020 03:20 PM

Model A brakes, when done correctly, are really very good.

The secret is, when done correctly. This is not the place where I would try to save money. Anything that is worn, should be replaced. Including, pins, rods, springs, etc.

Done right, you will get thousands of miles of safe driving. Just another thing to check off you list of things to do.

Enjoy.

SteveR. 10-27-2020 10:27 PM

Agree with all of the thoughts above... i'd rather do it once and do it right. With that in mind, I have the drums, what else do I need to buy? How many hours to do the work for a first timer? I did just get done installing a new engine, I could figure out the brakes i just have limited time.

Is there a good shop near Fort Worth that can Arch the linings?

Patrick L. 10-28-2020 06:37 AM

Mechanical brakes are a different animal than hydraulic ones. Everything has to be just so for them to work properly. You need good solid contact, tracks, etc. Centering certainly helps. The drums once mounted to the hubs should be cut and trued. The shoes can be sanded to fit reasonable well using sand paper inside the drum.
Its kinda been said that woven shoes are for steel drums and molded for cast, but, I've used either with no issues.

kenparker0703 10-28-2020 07:17 AM

First you have to get the hubs off of the old drums. 2. clean hubs throughly. 3. Inspect for damage and wear - Replace if necessary. 4. Retrue machine surface on lathe. 5. Swedge new cast drums to hubs - minimum 30 ton press and very carful to get everything PERFECTLY square or will crack drum or hub. 6. Return drum to insure not waraped in swedging process. 6. Inspect all internal parts for wear and replace if necessary. 7. Sand Grind or set new shoes to match diameter of new drums. 8 Assemble.

It could take anywhere fron two days to two weeks to complete depending on your tools available and your expertise. There are NO shortcuts.

I have the equipment to do this but I am 100plus miles away fro you.

Purdy Swoft 10-28-2020 11:32 AM

If the shoes aren't worn down to the point that the rivets are exposed , the shoes could possibly be reused . If you are trying to rebuild the brakes to like new condition, all worn parts should be replaced . I always grind or file a tapered edge on the ends of the brake lining .The tapered edges on the lining will make it easier or possible to install the drums over the relined brake shoes . The square ends of the brake lining will have a tendency to slightly kick outwards when the rivets are installed and the tapered ends of the lining will help prevent interference and drag . Many without model A brake experience will have difficulty installing the brake drums after installing new brake lining . In many cases , when the lining wears enough that it needs to be replaced , the brake tracks will have a dip worn on the tracks where the roller pins ride . The worn spots on the tracks can be welded up in the worn spots or the tracks can be replaced . Worn spots on the brake tracks will cause the shoes to be out of center and the drums won't fit back over the shoes . I have found that replacing the tracks is no guarantee that the drums will fit over the relined shoes . It usually takes a bit of work getting the shoes centered again .

SteveR. 10-28-2020 04:14 PM

Ken, I have a friend in East TX I told I would come visit soon...I'll give you a call, I may bring my brakes with me.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Gene F 10-28-2020 05:13 PM

I have modern shoes, cast iron drums, and self centering tracks. All rods straightened (they bend more than you would think), new bushings, new pins, everything adjusted up without the suspension hanging. What a difference! A bit of cash, and a bit of time, but well worth it. If you ever drive an A owned by a member of your club, and it has cast iron drums you are gonna want them.

I had the bands before, and they are a waste of time.

SteveR. 10-28-2020 09:32 PM

Anyone know a shop in the Fort Worth area that can assemble the hubs, drums & lugs for me?

Dick Carne 10-28-2020 11:04 PM

I'm not sure if you are planning to use woven linings with cast iron drums, or bonded linings. In my opinion, woven linings should only be used with steel drums, and bonded linings with cast iron drums. Based upon a mechanic friend's comments, I initially matched up new cast iron drums with new woven linings, but by the end of the first 1000 miles, essentially had no brakes at all, Replacing the woven linings with bonded linings effectively cured this problem. Good luck to you with this project.

Gene F 10-29-2020 07:29 PM

Dick, I have heard that too.

mass A man 10-29-2020 09:32 PM

Something else must have happened with your brakes Dick. I've had many pre-30's cars and trucks with steel or cast drums, long before bonded, (or molded) linings were even invented. If the brakes were set up right, they never gave me a problem for many thousands of miles other than a tweak on the adjustments. All had woven linings, the only lining available.

CWPASADENA 10-29-2020 11:38 PM

Henry used woven linings with cast iron drums from late 1931, when he switched from stamped steel to cast iron drums for the Model A, clear up until before the war.

Woven linings work very well with cast iron drums.

Any lining used must be arced to the drums and the shoes centered properly or you will not have the best performing brakes and often will have problems with less than full contact and glazing in the contact areas of the linings.

My experience and my opinion.

Chris W.

kenparker0703 10-30-2020 07:22 AM

Currently running woven linings on cast Iron drums on two cars - 31 Coupe and 30 Woody. No problems. What CWP said above in very important. ken