The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Soldering bullet wire ends to socket (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295958)

Clem Clement 03-16-2021 09:33 PM

Soldering bullet wire ends to socket

I'm reading the some of us solder their wire bullet end to the socket to guarantee a secure and good fit.

I have to replace the dash light dimmer switch. The bullet ends on my replacement wire harness will not fit in the socket. Solder does not stick to to the socket sides which I filed clean

It is common practice to solder these connections. Does it pass during judging?
TIA

35fordtn 03-16-2021 09:43 PM

Re: Soldering bullet wire ends to socket

Are you using flux?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clem Clement 03-17-2021 10:07 AM

Flux in the solder. I'll try again

35fordtn 03-17-2021 12:35 PM

I have always used seperate liquid flux and silver solder.

19Fordy 03-17-2021 01:22 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Clem, I just took these photos of my 40 dash light dimmer switch that may help you.
It was in the car when I bought the car in 1963. I think it's original to the car. Redundant photos may shed a little more light.

Lawson Cox 03-17-2021 05:27 PM

I don't think that's the kind of wire ends he is talking about. He says bullet ends. FWIW. Solder will not work if the bullets are chrome plated.

slowforty 03-17-2021 06:11 PM

I gave up trying to do anything with my dimmer switch .It worked all right but i had to keep adjusting it as it would not stay in one position. I just put both wires together and the dash lights are on the brightest(?) setting. And I dont have to lay on the seat anymore

paul2748 03-17-2021 07:22 PM

What is the fitting problems with the bullet ends? Too small? The Ford bullets are bigger that the ones commercially available today. The Ford bullets are available

rotorwrench 03-17-2021 08:13 PM

The originals were tinned copper but the modern ones can be machined brass or press formed from brass sheet. If they are new and they can't be crimped, ie. machined brass, then the wire should be tinned with solder before an attempt to solder it to the brass. I would use 63/37 tin/lead solder. Lead free will work but a bit more flux is needed. It takes too much heat for silver or hard solder. As others mentioned, check the fit before soldering and make sure they will work.

glennpm 03-18-2021 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used these bullets for some connectors on my 32. They are .176" diameter or a tad less than 4.5mm. They work perfectly with the stock connectors.

The blue plastic can be removed with a razor blade. They can be soldered but I'm a proponent of crimping only.

Glenn

Clem Clement 03-18-2021 09:43 PM

I'm working an idea

32phil 03-19-2021 12:18 PM

If you solder the connection BEFORE you crimp the concern is if the joint heats up for whatever reason the solder may soften/melt and then the crimp will no longer be tight.
I always crimp first creating a solid mechanical connection then I solder.
Even if it overheats and all the solder melts away the joint will still be there mechanically.

19Fordy 03-19-2021 01:18 PM

32phil: Good point.

rotorwrench 03-19-2021 06:16 PM

I don't worry about the solder melting on any connections that I have to solder. If the solder melts then there is resistance due to a bad or shorted wire, a loose connection, or too small a wire gauge for the current draw in the circuit.

Clem Clement 03-19-2021 09:10 PM

I thought I had a neat way to do this. I took a paper clip and wrapped one end of it around the receiver on the switch. (The wire is about an inch below the dash rail. I wrapped the other end on the cloth wire above the bullet nose and set it in the receiver. that gave me both hands for soldering. Oh, before that it tinned the receiver on the work bench. I'm thinking but no luck with the soldering iron making the solder run to the bullet. Rosen was every where. The switch if too close to the dash to use heat.

ford38v8 03-20-2021 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clem Clement (Post 1998193)
I thought I had a neat way to do this. I took a paper clip and wrapped one end of it around the receiver on the switch. (The wire is about an inch below the dash rail. I wrapped the other end on the cloth wire above the bullet nose and set it in the receiver. that gave me both hands for soldering. Oh, before that it tinned the receiver on the work bench. I'm thinking but no luck with the soldering iron making the solder run to the bullet. Rosen was every where. The switch if too close to the dash to use heat.

Clem, don’t give up, soldering is not rocket science, but it does require proper methods, tools & materials like any other skill. There is a soldering iron or torch, along with the correct solder and flux for every job, and instruction material for every student. First lesson: Don’t expect first timer success on any project you haven’t practiced for. One small tip you might use on your particular application is to use a heat sink to prevent collateral damage.

russcc 03-20-2021 08:28 AM

This a bit off topic, but I was wondering if there was a good way to get what appears to be copper bullet connectors that hook the '40 headlight switch pigtails to the wiring harness apart without damaging the wire and insulation.

Clem Clement 04-05-2021 01:36 AM

The short harness wires and the closeness to the the painted dash make soldering a challenge. I'm letting the project rest a bit and then will get after it again. Thanks

glennpm 04-05-2021 06:12 AM

Just crimp it, pull on it to make sure its tight and you're good to go. No need for the solder.

Glenn

Clem Clement 04-05-2021 11:15 PM

The bullet end does not fit in the connector. Thanks